water in my oil

i was changing my air filter and decided to take my throttle body and cleaned up in there and also noticed under the heat mats that there were leaks around the thermostat housing and hoses. so i cleaned all that up and put it back together but was worried about debris falling in the intake so i put seafoam to try to wash it straight thru and i took the timing cap and rotated the engine. now that i assembled everything and started it a ton of milky ***** came outta the exhaust i only ran it like 30 seconds but did i rotate my engine the wrong way thru the timing cap? is my engine ******?

i did notice at first it acted like the compression was too much for the battery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
If your water level remained where you put it after the engine cooled, did you run it again? Could have been moisture or wash water inside the mufflers. If so, the exhaust should clear up as the engine warms.
Just a question or two....what bike do you have? Did you remove anything on top of the engine/under the fuel induction system that opened into the engine? Had the bike been sitting idle for a lengthy time? What does the oil look like thru the sight glass?

OP
OP
sportbikey
If your water level remained where you put it after the engine cooled, did you run it again? Could have been moisture or wash water inside the mufflers. If so, the exhaust should clear up as the engine warms.
Just a question or two....what bike do you have? Did you remove anything on top of the engine/under the fuel induction system that opened into the engine? Had the bike been sitting idle for a lengthy time? What does the oil look like thru the sight glass?
2008 st1300

i removed the throttle body... oil glass has always been unusable. bike had been sitting in a garagr for about 3 or 4 weeks. before that ran completely fine.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
2008 st1300

i removed the throttle body... oil glass has always been unusable. bike had been sitting in a garagr for about 3 or 4 weeks. before that ran completely fine.
If you can't see the oil level thru the glass after you clean it (I use a long q-tip...think you can still find them in a firearm shop) when it gets dirty between oil changes. If that doesn't work, consider replacing it next oil change. No dipstick on the ST's so this is my only info source on oil level/condition.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
It's very likely the smoke was the Seafoam in the intakes, and should have cleared up after a few minutes (bike and exhausts up to temperature). It's also normal for some steam to come out at first due to water being a product of combustion, and that also would clear up once the exhaust got hot. Did it smell like burning naptha? Did it go away? If so, normal.

Doesn't sound like you should have water in the oil, but you need to clean that sight glass problem to find out. In any case, if water in there it will go away when you ride the bike for an extended time at full operating temperature, and I doubt you'd see much in the exhaust........

If you can't see in the sight glass, you could (when cold) dip in a rod into the oil fill hole and see if there are "layers", meaning milky water on top of the oil. But, try to clean the sight glass.....

Bike
2010 ST1300
If you really have water in your oil, it will appear milky, and NOT look like either clean or dirty engine oil. You could always don some rubber gloves, pull the drain plug for a quick second and replace it for a check. Be sure to do this over a clean oil catch basin in case you fumble the plug and drop it.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Originally I thought this was white smoke from the pipes. Now it seems it's water in the oil. Looking for clarification what is the issue? If you think there's water in the oil, drain the oil completely and see what comes out. You may also want to remove the radiator cap and see if it's low or there's oil in the coolant too.

Bike
'07 ST1300
@sportbikey
If I'm understanding you right, you poured Seafoam down the intake manifold and it was forced past the rings when you cranked it by hand. Some went through the exhaust, depending on the stroke (exhaust or compression). Dripping wet pistons would have excess compression to overcome. Good news if you didn't bend a rod or blow a head gasket ... Anyway, that's my guess.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Does not sound like sportbikey should be working on his motorcycle.
Just a few of the concerns in his post would be bending a rod, blowing a head gasket, tightening the insulator boots correctly (by measurement) and or damaging the moly coating in the throats of the throttle body bores.
And WHY is the oil sight window not useable?
Incorrect oil filling procedure?
These can be expensive to repair if you break stuff if you don’t know what your doing…

Never put noncondensibles in the motor, good way to tear up stuff.....
Why would you think seafoam would clean debris out of the motor?
Why wouldn't you plug the intakes with rags?

Pop your filler cap off and look at the inside to see if there is any "mud" on it, if it is covered with carbon which looks like dry crusty stuff there probably is no water in the oil and you are chasing the stuff you put into it. Remember, Some additives won't hurt your engine. I don't recommend using any and find their claims be bovine scatology.
It also takes more than 160 degrees to remove moisture from oil and there is no way to remove anti-freeze without draining the oil, contaminated oil will look like dark latte foam- but do not drink it, it tastes bad. but I have tasted it to identify coolant contaminants. But I am a little more experienced than most, so skip that step.
But it still sounds like you ducked a bigger problem of a hydraulic lock, at best it will lock up the engine until the fluid leaks past the rings, at worst it bends a connecting rod and blows through the cylinder wall. I do not even know what direct sea foam will do to the O2 sensors or the catalytic convertor as it burns off.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Sounded to me like smoke/water vapour out the exhaust..... no matter now, he had the engine running...... I'm doubting this is water/coolant in the oil situation until he confirms what he actually has done, a little more detail would help.

Amen, I was compressing what was told to him by earlier posts and was not trying to copy their information, just reenforce it. there was a lot of good advice.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
started it a ton of milky ***** came outta the exhaust i only ran it like 30 seconds
Besides what was blowing out of the exhaust, how did it sound when you had it running?
If it ran well with no abnormal noises there isn't any damage, just excess SeaFoam in the combustion chambers that needs to be burned off.
If anything that you did was going to cause damage, or if you truly had hydraulic lock, it is already to late as any damage that is going to happen has already happened because you have already run the engine for 30 seconds.
I would start it again and monitor how it runs and sounds, including engine temperature. If everything appears normal, let it get hot enough and run long enough to burn all of the SeaFoam out of the combustion chambers and the exhaust. You might consider changing the oil first so that you can see if there is any water in it, and to make sure that the oil level is correct as you state that you can't use the sight glass.
is my engine ******?
Depends on what you actually did, and what you heard and saw when you had it running for those 30 seconds.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Maybe we shouldn’t be encouraging him to work further on the bike, or even start it, until he has someone on hand who understands engines etc.
This sounds like a certified YouTube video job.
Keeping my fingers crossed nothing was damaged.

Last edited:

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
I like the youtube videos "Cutomer states..."

Hope the OP's bike is okay.... but you should seek advice before doing stuff, the outcome of which could be terminal for your bike.....

TPadden

Tom Padden
... and yet everyone wonders why there is no new blood in this group. :rofl1:

Almost everyone that had problems in their youth learned from them; it's a process... yes at 42 he is relatively in his youth .

Tom

Top Bottom