Water pump removal

woodybelle

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
I have a 2006 ST1300 and I am trying to replace my clutch and have run into a snag removing the water pump. I have all the bolts removed and all 3 hoses but it acts like I missed a bolt. I can pry on the right side of the pump and see the gap open slightly on the out board side of the pump but it still feels securely attached. I have hit it with a punch just below the radiator hose out let but it is not breaking loose. I think there is a dowel pin in behind there and am wondering if it might be stuck. Any ideas?

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
There are two small locating dowels that a couple bolts go through.
Don’t pry on aluminum!
Take a soft hammer handle or dowel and place it in the water pipe and GENTLY wiggle the owner left corner and the upper right corner (facing bike) and it will pop free and come off.
Spray some PB Blaster or penetrating oil in all the holes and around the seem, that may help.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Larry (@Igofar ) correctly identified the cause of your difficulty - it is because there are some little dowels there, as well as the bolts.

See this thread, the pictures there might help you visualize where the dowels are: Water Pump Weep Holes. Unfortunately, the dowels are not visible in those pictures (photos were taken for a different purpose), but I think you can see where the dowels go - I believe that the dowels fit into the bigger holes around the pump cover.

Michael

OP
OP
woodybelle

woodybelle

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
Thanks Michael
I looked in the parts blowup on Ron Ayers website to see where the dowels were. I used PB Blaster and a heat gun and lots of wiggling per Larry's instructions and it slowly came off.
Larry is such a big help, he even called me back to check on my progress.

OP
OP
woodybelle

woodybelle

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
Update. I got the bike back together with new clutch friction plates and springs. The clutch feels like brand new. It used to feel like it did not engage until the clutch lever was almost all the way out but now it feels like it did when it was new.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Update. I got the bike back together with new clutch friction plates and springs. The clutch feels like brand new. It used to feel like it did not engage until the clutch lever was almost all the way out but now it feels like it did when it was new.
It IS new. Congrats on a good repair!

OP
OP
woodybelle

woodybelle

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
I didn't rebuild the pump. It looked and felt good and I have read that it can be a bit tricky pressing the bits into place so I left it alone.

I didn't rebuild the pump. It looked and felt good and I have read that it can be a bit tricky pressing the bits into place so I left it alone.
You should rebuilt at the same time too. It's too late now. Replace new impeller, oil seal and mechanical seal. Mine mechanical seal is going bad and causing oil leak at front weeping hose. I haven't done it yet.

Top Bottom