Water pump

Bike
2006 ST
Can somebody please tell me if it's possible to remove and replace the water pump chain without breaking the chain or removing the clutch basket

Bike
2010 ST1300
If you do remove the clutch basket, read the Service Manual. There is a two piece spring loaded gear that drives the clutch. You have to compress the spring w/ a screw driver when you insert the basket. No big deal, but if you do not do this, you will have a loud rattling when the bike is put together.

OP
OP
Bikerbill
Bike
2006 ST
I have 80,000 miles on a 2006 ST1300 I'm down in the area because of a water leak and I see that the chain has considerable amounts of play, enough to make me worry about throwing the chain

Just curious, what are you trying to do?
If you do remove the clutch basket, read the Service Manual. There is a two piece spring loaded gear that drives the clutch. You have to compress the spring w/ a screw driver when you insert the basket. No big deal, but if you do not do this, you will have a loud rattling when the bike is put together.
Does that gear act as an idler by any chance?

Bike
2010 ST1300
Does that gear act as an idler by any chance?
No, there is no idler for the H2O chain.
I'm talking about the primary drive gear, it is just above the clutch basket. You have to align the two halves in order to remove the clutch outer (as it is called in the HSM). The water pump drive chain is behind the clutch basket. Page 9-18 of the Honda Service Manual.
IMG_7042.jpg

Pg 9-16 shows the water pump chain behind the clutch basket.
IMG_7043.jpg

OP
OP
Bikerbill
Bike
2006 ST
No, there is no idler for the H2O chain.
I'm talking about the primary drive gear, it is just above the clutch basket. You have to align the two halves in order to remove the clutch outer (as it is called in the HSM). The water pump drive chain is behind the clutch basket. Page 9-18 of the Honda Service Manual.
IMG_7042.jpg

Pg 9-16 shows the water pump chain behind the clutch basket.
IMG_7043.jpg
Thanks for the help
Have there been any reports of that chain leaving the sprocket and if so at what kind of mileage

Bike
2010 ST1300
Thanks for the help
Have there been any reports of that chain leaving the sprocket and if so at what kind of mileage
I've been hanging out here since '13 and have not seen any threads describing the chain leaving the sprocket or any bikes going to the great elephant graveyard in the sky for this reason.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have two ST1300s with more than 100K miles on them and have replaced a number of waterpumps. I've never had any issues with the chains coming off.

Top Bottom