Waterpump time ?

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
I was ready to take my ST1300 out of my cargo trailer, & saw a small patch of coolant on the deck of trailer below the front cover. I put the bike into the garage, & parked it . I haven't run it yet; but the leak seems to be from the atmospheric vent hole at the water pump . Is this indicative of a failed water pump seal ? Any video on replacement. Do I need to buy an impeller , bearing etc. ?
Any one found an after market ( & decent ) thermostat-Part No. ? any input is appreciated.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
My suggestion is to clean it all up very well and snug all the hose clamps on the thermostat housing and the two on the cylinder heads. Monitor it the next few thousand miles to make sure you fixed it. It's normal to get a bit of weeping during temperature swings and/ or when the bike is brought back from a long winter's nap. If it is the water pump, not likely, it won't leak much until you determine that.

Coolant from above blows all around and attracts road grime. It might look like the round weep hole is the location of the leak but if the area is all grimy nothing is for certain.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Any one found an after market ( & decent ) thermostat-Part No. ?
Failed thermostats are unrelated to leaks. There is no longer an aftermarket replacement for the thermostat; OEM is it.

--Mark

OP
OP
Jethro

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
The bike has 60000 miles. Any one replaced a pump near that #. Not discounting all of your advice at all. I guess i'll remove some t-ware , & tighten clamps . It was - 20 degs. for a few weeks in storage ! Getting bike ready for our first spring trip ; won't be able to ride before that. INFO -- Thanks.

st1300doug

About what everyone says here. Usually it it's thermostat, you get the two bars deal, with the thermo. never getting to three bars. A leak.....as mentioned, check for clamps, split hoses, etc. My '06 needed a new stat. at 38K....which seemingly is around the odometer number most have failures. Good luck......

Jethro,
My 05 leaked a 2" drop over the winter then about 2" while up on the stand doing maint. It seems to have stopped now after warming up. I am concerned as well. I have 33k on mine. It is coiming from the weep hole. Any others out there doing the same?

Top Bottom