We are honored with Allen Millyard working an 1100!

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
It's hard to believe this is a YouTube video without the presenter giving us erms and uhs and endless fumbling repetitive bits in K-Tel ad volume tones. Maybe a little editing helps him here but he just gets stuff done with a real economy of words.

I recently watched a video where the first thing the presenter says is something like "This is going to be a short video" and then blathers on ill prepared and "winging it" making a 5m video 15m long.

Millyard's patient calm narrative exudes a real feeling of Zen and motorcycle maintenance as an art. Something like that would be a great concept and title for a book.

I'm going to download all these ST videos and watch them from time to time. With all this rain it makes for pleasant view. I will pass on the tea and biscuits though. Hot chocolate and pie would be just perfect though.
If you want quality YT content with a minimum of verbiage, this is for you.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
If you want quality YT content with a minimum of verbiage, this is for you.
Yeah no. Apples and oranges isn't it. A lack of narrative doesn't define a Zen atmosphere. Ryan is ok but not in the same league as Millyard.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Is there a way to download them without getting a 'Premium' subscription?
I'd like to have them in case YouTube gets rid of them.
I'm sure there are a lot of downloader apps for the Windows side but I don't know any.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Don't forget to check on the ground hogs periodically as well. Don't want them drowning with your monsoon weather.
I saw some leaving in an RHIB so I know there's going to be at least a few more weeks of rain. :D

Bike
ST 1100 year 2002.
A lot of mechanical expertise is learned as children when they play with Meccano sets . I saw adverts this week on e bay for 3 compact discs with every Meccano Magazine ever printed for £4.99. What a bargain. Looking for ideas for things to make is harder when you are young. How many on this forum started with Meccano ? I knew a chap who worked in a Meccano factory . Lots of women worked on benches in two rows . He had to carry boxes of parts between the benches. They were heavy so he put them on his shoulder and steadied them with both hands . The naughty ladies would undo his trouser zip as he had no way to stop them .Nice game for them .

Bike
VStrom 650
A lot of mechanical expertise is learned as children when they play with Meccano sets . I saw adverts this week on e bay for 3 compact discs with every Meccano Magazine ever printed for £4.99. What a bargain. Looking for ideas for things to make is harder when you are young. How many on this forum started with Meccano ? I knew a chap who worked in a Meccano factory . Lots of women worked on benches in two rows . He had to carry boxes of parts between the benches. They were heavy so he put them on his shoulder and steadied them with both hands . The naughty ladies would undo his trouser zip as he had no way to stop them .Nice game for them .
Scousers, you can't trust em!

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I had a set from my dad, that he got 87 years ago. It had wind up and electric motors too. My grandfather made some of the rail pieces out of oak as not only were pieces hard to come by, but rather expensive as well. When my dad emigrated to Canada from Holland he brought the set with him in a box my grandfather made. That set is now in the hands of my grandson. ;)

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
I'd say he must read this forum since several critiqued his torque wrench. So in the video he showed us how accurate it is by using the weight scale at the right inch position.

I'll just ask "Allen is the weight scale calibrated"?

Jokingly signed by a former calibrations guy.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
How many on this forum started with Meccano ?
The only thing I know about them was a mention in a video with James May about toys he had as a lad. We had Erector sets that could get pretty extensive. And expensive. Vintage sets can command a lot of money.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
The only thing I know about them was a mention in a video with James May about toys he had as a lad. We had Erector sets that could get pretty extensive. And expensive. Vintage sets can command a lot of money.
Gilbert Erector sets for this guy.

I now live in Oregon and the Gilbert House Children's Museum in Salem, Oregon has a room dedicated to the products produced by that company and its founder A.C. Gilbert.

Beyond James May's mentions of having them as a kid, you should seek out "The Motorcycle Diary" episode of James May's Toy Stories where he and Simon Oakley build a full size motorcycle out of Mecanno. He then attempts to complete a lap of the Isle of Man TT course in 2013 with Oz Clarke as his co-rider. Hilarity, frustration, disaster and triumph ensue...

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
you should seek out "The Motorcycle Diary" episode
I've seen that series and pretty much all series James May. He's my favorite presenter of the three. May and 'crew' did a valiant effort flogging that poor Meccano. It was a great episode. A Don Quixote proportions episode. Currently watching Richard Hammond trying to eek out a living restoring classic/expensive cars. Not a whole lot of :rofl1: there but a good show anyway.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks - That was interesting how he kept the engine tilted over until he got it in the frame.
That makes a lot of sense - especially putting a strap on the drive shaft to get the rear where it should be.
I figured he had a good plan for doing it by himself.
And I noticed it was interesting that the 'pair' system ports were blocked off.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
And I noticed it was interesting that the 'pair' system ports were blocked off.
Normally on early ('90~'91) engines... but those came in silver or maroon... puzzling...

The one thing I'm taking away here, is that OEM silencers obviously fit the Delkevic collector, a question no one was able to answer me till now...

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I liked that he referred to the wooden overhead creation as a gantry. He didn't mention if he cleaned all the starter circuit lead connections but they were. That was nice to see. I laughed a little when he noted switching the Kill switch to Run.

He could have had that bike together in half to one-third the time if not for all the excellent photography. This felt like the last episode but I'd like to see one more with the ST adorned in all its proper livery. This is/has been/whichever a great series.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Top Bottom