We got Scammed

Bike
2010 ST1300
We got scammed this week, but I don’t feel ashamed. It can happen to anybody. Recently, the financial advice columnist for New York Magazine was talked into handing over a shoebox with $50,000 in cash to someone in the back seat of a black car. Before you write her off as an idiot, read a couple of articles. Her own story is at the end of mine, but you can also google for recent stories about scams.

My wife received a phone call from someone purporting to be from our internet provider. He was offering a promo that would reduce our monthly fee around $15 to $20 because we were loyal customers. She was skeptical at first, but he seemed to have all of our information, and the offer did not seem too good to be true. After a while she verified our account number and the security code on our monthly bill. In retrospect, he obviously could not have known either of these numbers. She did, however, refuse to give him the last four digits of a social security number – an ironclad rule in our house is this is never given out over the phone. The salesman gave my wife his direct phone number and name, and said to call with any questions.

Some hours later, I received an email from our provider thanking us for the service upgrade. It showed an order had been placed to give us unlimited streaming, deluxe sports package for TV, etc etc. to the tune of $250 a month. I asked my wife if she had ordered that and learned about the earlier call. I went online, found our provider’s ‘contact us’ phone number and called. After holding and talking with a couple of humans, the order was cancelled and we were back to our original plan.

Three hours later, another email showed up. This one increased our monthly bill by $450+ and said three of Apple’s best phones were being shipped to us. Interestingly, the whole order was charged to a credit card that we do not own (stolen, probably). Another phone call, this time to the Fraud department, cancelled that, and a hold was put on the shipment. The shipper, however, sent me a text that our package was on the way and gave me a tracking number. Two days later, we got a phone call. It was our provider saying the package we had not ordered was on its way, and when we received it, to call back for a return authorization and prepaid shipping label. I agreed, and he gave us a phone number which happened to be the same number as the first guy had given us. (This fellow also had a rather pronounced accent that made me immediately suspicious.)

The phones arrived the next day. I am still waiting for our provider to send us said prepaid shipping label and am getting more than a little irked with them for dragging their collective butts. I might just have to charge them a storage fee for this package.

Some lessons I’ve learned from this rather painless experience. If you think you cannot be scammed, know that scammers are personable, articulate, friendly types, who under different circumstances would likely be your best friend. They are not going to sound like a thug, but more like your banker, teller, or checkout person who is just a regular fellow.
  • Don’t engage with these folks. Don’t talk to them. If you pick up the phone and it is Amazon, Google, or nVidia calling, Hang Up! You don’t need what they are selling and those companies do not do direct marketing. Think about the carnival guy who guesses your age. He is friendly, talks to you, asks where you grew up, if knew so and so in high school and soon you tell him when you graduated. After a few minutes, he knows more about you than you realize. Your age is evident. The more you talk, the more information you give up.
  • If someone calls that sounds real, hang up on them, get their phone number from #4 below and call them back. Tell them you were disconnected and want to avail yourself of their free offer of a ‘round the world cruise for two….
  • Some information does not go out over the phone. Period. There is NEVER a good reason to give someone your SS number over the phone, unless you initiate the call to a verified phone number. Even then, we do not give it out. We have cancelled credit cards that want our SS no. every time we call customer service.
  • Getting a phone number via a google search is NOT verified – go to the company’s website and find the “Contact us” box.
  • One of the fraud guys at my internet provider asked me for my account password. I said, “At this point, how do I know I can trust you?”, and got a good laugh. He said they were trained never to give out any information, only receive it to verify what they had. Good to know. I am reasonably sure these folks do NOT have certain info, and were they to ask, it would ring alarm bells.
  • Fraudsters know a lot about you and me before they call. Google your name or spend $6 on the White Pages and be prepared to be amazed at the info that is out there. Any salesman is trained to know who he is selling to and to research the person he will see before the sales call.
  • Any good scam artist will ask for information “to verify” what it shows on your profile.
  • If you have caller id, and it shows the call is coming from Cleveland, MO, unless you know someone in Missouri, ignore it. If you do answer, ask where they are calling from – when they spoof the city, the caller does not know what it will be. Better yet, reread #1 above.
  • Most large companies have a policy of not allowing employees to give out last names, so you are going to be talking to Jim, Florence, Lynn, and Joe. Few have direct calling to the Fraud Dept. I had to navigate robots, wait for a human, and again wait while being transferred. Dealing with this is a hassle.
  • Get a password manager and create strong passwords for every different account you have. 1Password and Dashlane are highly recommended. If you use the same password for more than one account you are the low hanging fruit. While it is true that some passwords can be broken by computer programs, most scams take place by ‘phishing’ – people giving up information to the crook.
  • One of the articles I read said ‘listen to your gut’. If something feels fishy, step back, consult a trusted friend or advisor and then renew the engagement.
https://www.thecut.com/article/amazon-scam-call-ftc-arrest-warrants.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2024/02/17/scam-tips-columnist-50k/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/09/06/scams-online-guide/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2023/12/29/what-do-scammed-money-victim-fraud/

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
We receive frequent calls claiming to be from our credit card provider (first clue they don’t mention the financial institution) about charges made on our credit card (the card they are calling about starts with 4500 which is fairly common first few digits, credit card providers always give the last four digits), I now always ask who they want to talk to and invariably they hang up. I think these scammers aren't particularly sophisticated and are just planning to get our credit card numbers so they can use them for their benefit. The other thing is they are now calling early in the morning I guess hoping that waking up someone will find them to be less sceptical.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
We receive frequent calls claiming to be from our credit card provider ....
Note that I said above that the $450/month package was paid for by a master card that we do not own. The email showed the last 4 digits so my provider verified it was a good card (but not necessarily reported as stolen). My guess to the Fraud dept was that the scammers had talked someone into reveling their credit card number. He not only agreed, he said I was dealing with one such scam, they are dealing with hundreds of them. Something is wrong if it is that easy to pull this scam off.

Bike
R1200rt
they have too much of your info better call your bank/credit cards and most important call Experion and do a credit freeze

mello dude

Half genius, half dumazz whackjob foole
I have been getting offers on emails and now a phone call claiming to get a 50% reduction on my bill from Spectrum......
I know that's BS.. and I never engage....
Phishing scams are near daily, be vigilant! We could use this thread as a scam alert....

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
As a general rule I never avail myself of anything from any person/company who contacted me, only those whom I made first contact with. That aside, no matter what the offer is, no matter who is offering it, no matter the means by which it is offered, no matter how badly I want to take advantage of it, I will never provide any information or agree to anything on that first contact regardless of whether it is by phone, email, text, etc.. I will always end that initial contact and never use it again. If I am interested in the offer I will contact the company in question myself using verified contact information, not the contact information that I was given through that initial contact. I will ask the company if said offer exists and proceed from there.

The unfortunate thing is that I feel that it is prudent to apply the same methods to anyone who comes to the door. Unfortunate because people who come to the door are most often charities, or community do-gooders, or students looking for summer work washing windows or doing painting jobs. They get harmed by this protocol because they never get any work from me because of the actions of scammers who have poisoned the marketplace and who should all be strung up by the short and curlies.

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
Google Pixel phone has a good call screening program, if I don't have the number in my contact list, it goes to screen. Scammers or telemarketers usually hang up rather than leave a message about what they're calling for.

Some good advice above; I try not to respond to offers/calls/emails/etc, but instead initiate the contact when I figure out I want something.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Another thing.....if they give you a number to call back to verify that they are legit, DO NOT use the same phone they called you on. Use a different phone. There is a program that will keep the line open even though you hang up and redial. When you redial it just rings back into wherever you were called from.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Sorry to hear you got taken. Hope it all works out for you.

My wife received a phone call from someone
I don't answer calls from numbers that are not in my phone book
My own strategy for avoiding scams starts with the same tactic as @Nexus uses: don't answer the phone if the call originates from a number not already in my Contacts list. In fact, using the Android O/S "Do Not Disturb" feature in conjunction with my cellular carrier's Call Filter feature means the phone doesn't even audibly ring or vibrate in such circumstances. It does light up but most of the time I'm not aware of it since I'm not staring at the device 24/7.

Once every day or two I go through and explicitly block the unrecognized numbers that have called, on both the Call Filter app and in my phone app, to avoid future repetitions. So far- after several years of such actions- I've not been aware of any negative repercussions from this strategy.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
If you answer your phone and hear a brief electronic 'ploop' sound, that's the call center's/scammer's system telling him there's a live one on the line. I always disconnect at the 'ploop'. Other clues are 'Hello' following your hello, voices and nothing else in the background...your scam center caller has likely has a sucker on the line, and.....Indian or southeast Asian accents. The chances you hurt a legitimate caller's feelings is somewhere near 1%.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
Another thing.....if they give you a number to call back to verify that they are legit, DO NOT use the same phone they called you on.
Your article (first one) said this 'hang up delay' only works on a land line. That last term has changed - a land line here for a long time was a Ma Bell phone line - over copper wires. Land lines today are over fiber or coax and are VOIP (voice over internet protocol). I'm speaking of common usage here in the US, where copper phone lines are pretty much a dinosaur and have been replaced by VOIP. On the old networks (copper), if one hung up and received a dial tone, the other party was gone, but this changed somewhat until VOIP took over.

What do you have in Canada?

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
and.....Indian or southeast Asian accents. The chances you hurt a legitimate caller's feelings is somewhere near 1%.
I deliberately kept this out of my first post. I don't like the fact that I too use a caller's accent to make a quick determination about the legitimacy of the call. What is worse, we have received spam calls by callers with Hispanic accents.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Some hours later, I received an email from our provider thanking us for the service upgrade. It showed an order had been placed to give us unlimited streaming, deluxe sports package for TV, etc etc. to the tune of $250 a month. I asked my wife if she had ordered that and learned about the earlier call. I went online, found our provider’s ‘contact us’ phone number and called. After holding and talking with a couple of humans, the order was cancelled and we were back to our original plan.

Three hours later, another email showed up. This one increased our monthly bill by $450+ and said three of Apple’s best phones were being shipped to us. Interestingly, the whole order was charged to a credit card that we do not own (stolen, probably). Another phone call, this time to the Fraud department, cancelled that, and a hold was put on the shipment. The shipper, however, sent me a text that our package was on the way and gave me a tracking number. Two days later, we got a phone call. It was our provider saying the package we had not ordered was on its way, and when we received it, to call back for a return authorization and prepaid shipping label. I agreed, and he gave us a phone number which happened to be the same number as the first guy had given us. (This fellow also had a rather pronounced accent that made me immediately suspicious.)

The phones arrived the next day. I am still waiting for our provider to send us said prepaid shipping label and am getting more than a little irked with them for dragging their collective butts. I might just have to charge them a storage fee for this package.
I guess I'm confused, how does an order for more services from your legitimate provider benefit the scammer? Also, how does sending you a bunch of iPhones benefit the scammer?

Does the scammer work for your provider and get a commission on what they upsell to you?

Bike
‘19 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Check out the Scammer Payback channel on YouTube. He takes down the scammer’s computer files, network, etc., all while keeping the scammer on the line and thinking they’re about to cash in on an old lady.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
What do you have in Canada?
Same, at least in most of the major centres. Copper still exists in older areas that have not been upgraded yet but they are becoming fewer and fewer. I live in one of the oldest areas around me and we were upgraded to fibre-optic cables quite a few years ago. In older rural areas there is probably still a lot of copper telephone lines.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
don't answer the phone if the call originates from a number not already in my Contacts list.
Curious to know how you manage this method. Are you always adding and deleting contacts? Does this mean that every person, company, business, salesman, organization, etc., that you might have dealings with and with whom there will be multiple calls back and forth you would have to enter in to your contacts or you won't get their calls? This sounds like it would be a lot of work managing the contact list. I would always be having to add contacts so that I get the calls. Once my business with them is completed I would have to delete these contacts because I don't want a whole bunch of numbers in there that I most likely will not use again cluttering up and ballooning the list.

Top Bottom