Wee Strom Questions

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
This is my eldest daughter's boyfriend's bike - an 06 Suzuki V Strom DL 650. Its a stock bike that he bought used last year. It runs great. I've been storing it in the shop for the winter and pulled it out tonight to clean it up and help with any minor maintenance stuff.

He likes to ride gravel roads, unassumed roads etc. I got looking at how vulnerable the underside is to rocks and other hazards. I could go searching for answers on various sites but with the wisdom of this group and the high activity level, that almost seems like re-inventing the wheel.

I'm thinking someone here knows this stuff instinctively

Is there a bush guard made for these bikes that will protect the oil filter, rad, & oil cooler?

The top rad house looks pretty exposed as well. Anything to do here?

What else should we be doing in terms of add-ons or fixes ?

Are there any known isssues we should be addressing?

Here's a few pics, just because ...

TIA

Attachments

Ed_Grant

Fast Eddie
STOC #
For gravel roads I just riveted a big A** mud flat on the front fender of my DL1000 and try to avoid really big rocks. :)

OP
OP
Jeff F
Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
Gents

Thanks for the tips and links. `Appreciated!

Question: How much slack should there be in the chain? From past experience with other bikes I'd guess at .8" to 1.2". This one is close to 1.5". Too loose?

Very nice looking bike Chuck

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
When I had my Strom, I seem to recall you have to check while the bike is standing up off the side stand. Mine seemed too much at first too, until I checked it the proper way.

OP
OP
Jeff F
Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
When I had my Strom, I seem to recall you have to check while the bike is standing up off the side stand. Mine seemed too much at first too, until I checked it the proper way.
Thanks Ray. Didn't you just tell me the other day you used to have a VStrom? I should have PM'd you. My memory is so bad I can't even remember what I had for supper last night ;-)

DsrtRnger; said:
"...Reinventing the wheel"

Look no futher than here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=425717
Great resource! Thx.

rapidoxidationm

St n00b
Bike
Duh
The chain tension should be adjusted (inspected) with normal riding weight on the bike.

Bike
ST1300 '08
if he's got the owner's manual it tells explicitly how to do the chain tension. if he doesn't have it, it's all online, and STromtrooper.com is a great site.

do it on the side stand, and 1.5" is OK., and as someone else said, if in doubt, loose is better than too tight.

great bikes - go forever.

also, that Dupont teflon lube is the cat's pajamas for the chain. dries clean on the chain, doesn't attract dirt, works great.

Top Bottom