Weight riding 2 up

OP
OP
tt48
Bike
97 ST1100
STOC #
Short ride, she is very nervous about falling off and can't relax and enjoy the ride. Shock bottomed out once.

On a positive note, we went and test-sat a can am spyder rt, and she liked the more secure feel of that.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Short ride, she is very nervous about falling off and can't relax and enjoy the ride. Shock bottomed out once.
On a positive note, we went and test-sat a can am spyder rt, and she liked the more secure feel of that.
When my wife rode with me, I was trying to decide 'Do I get a Wing for that?' or 'Do I spend a little money on my ST1100?'.
I decided to spend the money on a Russell Seat (got the back seat fixed for her, the front for me), new heavy duty rear shock and redid the front end.
Plus I added a trunk with a nice backrest and moved it back a little bit so she would have more room.
She did a test ride on the back of an 1800 Wing said the ST1100 was much more comfortable for her.
Unfortunately now she can't ride due to health issues so in hindsight I am glad I didn't get a Wing.
But you have to do what works for the both of you.
Just a note - the rear shock on ST1100s tends to turn into a pogo stick around 50,000 miles or so. ;)
I used to run Works Pro Racers on the rear til the original owner died.
I tried to have one rebuilt under the 'new' management and it was quite painful and did not work very well.
Now I've swapped to Wilbers like ST1100Y and I am super pleased with them.
And I had GMD Computrack Atlanta rebuild the front ends with the RaceTech springs and gold valves - what a difference!

Last edited:

TPadden

Tom Padden
Never been henpecked, nor intend to be... ever...
However, the official 180kg/396lbs total payload are a bit unrealistic though...
Just kidding, never mentioned hen pecking. Actually quite the opposite. Somtime we have to accept the fact that just because we enjoy something and want to share the joy, it isn't going to happen. I only enjoy looking at quilts, not making them; my wife accepts that fact. :rofl1:

Tom

Last edited:
Top Bottom