Well it happened. Went Down today: Episode 2

Bike
2007 ST1300
So a little over 8 weeks ago I posted about putting my bike down avoiding a skid steer turning in front of me that I was passing. Couple of broken ribs, sprained ankle, bumps & bruises - all pretty well healed up....until today.

From the 'you can't make this crap up' file, driving home from work today a lady (staring down at her phone) pulled away from a stop sign right into my path, causing me to put the bike down yet again to avoid the collision.

Previous put down caused minor cosmetic damage - this one did the bike I'm afraid and I'm just not sure how. Completely shattered the headlight housing, pushed the front tire back into the fairing, the fairing into the handle bars. Had to be towed away. This was all from about a 35mph wipe out.

Got checked out by paramedics, but other than general soreness from bouncing around on the concrete, I don't believe I broke anything and didn't go to the hospital. However, the jury is still out on my left side....it's starting to get pretty darn sore tonight. Probably see about getting an appointment if possible tomorrow with the family doc.

Anyhow, I'm just here to request a few more healing prayers, as they really seemed to help last time!

I will probably start a separate thread to sell some salvageable parts off the bike. Silver 2007.

I'm afraid I may be done riding after this one - back to back accidents is really starting to make think I should count my blessings and walk away.

Anyway, thanks in advance for the well wishes, I love reading this site daily.

STHawk

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
Dang, that def is bad news. Sorry to hear about the first, and now second lay down. Take some time to heal, your decision may change after some separation. Maybe you're just 'getting ahead' of the percentage curve so you can have several incident free years! Thoughts sent your way...heal fast and well!

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #
Man, you have to be due for a lottery win! No matter what, glad to hear you’re breathing and, hopefully, no major damage to you.

Sorry about the bike

OP
OP
STHawk
Bike
2007 ST1300
Dang, that def is bad news. Sorry to hear about the first, and now second lay down. Take some time to heal, your decision may change after some separation. Maybe you're just 'getting ahead' of the percentage curve so you can have several incident free years! Thoughts sent your way...heal fast and well!
Love the avatar - I was about 75 miles away from 110000 on mine!

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Ouch. Sorry to see this but glad you came through in one piece.
Sounds like you got enough healing prayers, I’ll put some out for crash avoidance.

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
Hey man, I'm really sorry to read about episode 2; missed episode 1 somehow and will go back and read it. Glad you're (relatively) OK.

I would also probably be thinking about giving it up if I were in your shoes, but can't say for sure. At a minimum, I would take a sufficient break from riding to reflect on it.

EDIT: Turned out I did read episode 1, but forgot that I did; this getting-old crap sucks.

Last edited:

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Bummer deal. Did she get a ticket at least...???? Did you share your deepest thoughts with her...???? Glad you are not too busted up!! Heal fast.
ToddC

OP
OP
STHawk
Bike
2007 ST1300
Bummer deal. Did she get a ticket at least...???? Did you share your deepest thoughts with her...???? Glad you are not too busted up!! Heal fast.
ToddC
She received a failure to yield the right away ticket, that's it.

Made no mention of a cell phone, lady was a little crazy, I could actually hear her yelling from the cop car while I was getting checked out by the paramedics. Really don't know what she was even yelling about, but when the accident first occurred, she first apologized profusely and started ranting about how the cops were probably going to throw her in jail. I have a suspicion she may have had some legal troubles in the past

OP
OP
STHawk
Bike
2007 ST1300
Hey man, I'm really sorry to read about episode 2; missed episode 1 somehow and will go back and read it. Glad you're (relatively) OK.

I would also probably be thinking about giving it up if I were in your shoes, but can't say for sure. At a minimum, I would take a sufficient break from riding to reflect on it.

EDIT: Turned out I did read episode 1, but forgot that I did; this getting-old crap sucks.
I'm pretty sure time will change my mind, and I'll get the itch to buy another ST.... My wife's nerves however are shot, and I'm not quite sure how long it'll take for her to calm down

Just crazy how you can have 13,000 plus trouble free miles over the last two years and then in a matter of eight weeks and probably only 250 miles total have all this crap.

So a little over 8 weeks ago I posted about putting my bike down avoiding a skid steer turning in front of me that I was passing. Couple of broken ribs, sprained ankle, bumps & bruises - all pretty well healed up....until today.

From the 'you can't make this crap up' file, driving home from work today a lady (staring down at her phone) pulled away from a stop sign right into my path, causing me to put the bike down yet again to avoid the collision.

Previous put down caused minor cosmetic damage - this one did the bike I'm afraid and I'm just not sure how. Completely shattered the headlight housing, pushed the front tire back into the fairing, the fairing into the handle bars. Had to be towed away. This was all from about a 35mph wipe out.

Got checked out by paramedics, but other than general soreness from bouncing around on the concrete, I don't believe I broke anything and didn't go to the hospital. However, the jury is still out on my left side....it's starting to get pretty darn sore tonight. Probably see about getting an appointment if possible tomorrow with the family doc.

Anyhow, I'm just here to request a few more healing prayers, as they really seemed to help last time!

I will probably start a separate thread to sell some salvageable parts off the bike. Silver 2007.

I'm afraid I may be done riding after this one - back to back accidents is really starting to make think I should count my blessings and walk away.

Anyway, thanks in advance for the well wishes, I love reading this site daily.

STHawk
Stay strong bro. Healing prays sent. 1 day @ a time, dont think about it to much. Rest & relax, coconut oil over the pain & nice hot pink Himalayan salt baths. Gud luck & stay strong. Hot & cold method on the pain. Ice will be your best friend now.

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
Just crazy how you can have 13,000 plus trouble free miles over the last two years and then in a matter of eight weeks and probably only 250 miles total have all this crap.
Yes, you're right, it is crazy, and it could have happened to any of us.

Jeff

Alesco

1997 30k mls ;o)
Bike
GL1500, ST 1100,
I'm pretty sure time will change my mind, and I'll get the itch to buy another ST.... My wife's nerves however are shot, and I'm not quite sure how long it'll take for her to calm down

Valium, opium apparently ANYTHING with um is GREAT even R- um for settling nerves - invest in some for your wife - have some yourself - moderation is key here, and NOT while intending to ride :thumb:

Bike
VStrom 650
ST Hawk, if you didn't have bad luck you'd have no luck at all.
I understand your feelings and Er'Indoors has got to be happy going forward.
Take your time healing and thinking about the future.
I wonder how many folk are concentrating on their driving at this time, they've got enough to think about.
Stay safe y'all.
Upt'North.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Awwww geeez. That sucks. Glad to know you're still mostly okay. Hope you and the missus can eventually get to agreement about resuming your riding.

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
Sorry to hear about your crash and glad you are not too badly hurt. Get checked out as last year I spent a week walking round on a broken ankle that I thought was badly sprained. Only you will know if and when it is time to get back in the saddle, but don't rush it. I hope you make a full recovery.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
@STHawk well you can look at it a few ways. It could be a second case of bad luck, a second case of goof luck (that it wasn't worse!) or that it's just coincidence it happened so closely. Regardless I'm happy you made out as well as you did and sorry to hear about the state of the '07. Give it some time to heal your wounds and calm the Mrs.'s nerves and re-evaluate your needs and wants at that time.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Glad you are ok. Look at how fortunate you are that you did not end up in the hospital now, and possibly be exposed to C-V19. Things can always be worse. Bikes can be replaced. People not.

Bike
Suzuki Gladius
That truly bites! :( Sorry about the get-off and messed-up bike, but very glad you're relatively OK! Please get your side checked out though.

Patty

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Oh man, sorry to hear you had a repeat. Hope you heal up quickly, and take your time on bike decisions. ;)

Top Bottom