Went Down Today

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
I'm OK.

Beautiful fall day, had a great mountain road full of twisties all to myself. Was in the groove.

While leaned over hard in a left hand sweeper, I hit a patch of gravel and the bike was on its side before I could say "Oh crap".

I held onto the bike (in retrospect, I should have let go, but as they say it all happened so fast) and stayed with it as it headed for the shoulder of the road. I noticed that beyond the shoulder the terrain descended (at about a 45° slope) to the river that the road followed. Based on my speed, the bike was definitely going to overshoot the shoulder. No guardrail. Please God, don't let me highside.

Then I came to a sudden stop.

You know those signs on curves that point in the direction of the turn, right? Well, the bottom of Fat BaSTard ran straight into one of those, folding it over and coming to rest on top of it. Two guys who were fishing in the river ran up to see if I was ok (I was, just a little shaken) and gave me a hand righting Fat Bastard.

After my heart rate subsided, I went back to look at the gravel patch. It was right next to a pull-off (gravel of course) that fisherman use to access the river. It is not uncommon to find gravel on the road next to these pull-offs. I know this, and normally slow down, but I guess I didn't see this pull-off (or if I did, it didn't register).

I was lucky. If it wasn't for that sign I may have wound up in the river.

Damage report (so far):
-One broken lower fairing
-One crushed muffler pipe.

I was able to ride the bike home.

PXL_20211005_220213677.jpg

PXL_20211006_015042379.jpg

PXL_20211006_002943516.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
glad you're OK. Going down is just part of riding, its good that you came out with no injuries.

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
Wow, did you pick up a lottery ticket on your way home?

Glad to hear you made out so well in what could have been a lot worse.

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
So glad you are okay and we’re able to ride home and write about it. That sign made for a great emergency brake. Hopefully you aren’t too sore tomorrow. Parts and riding gear can be replaced. Thanks for the reminder of those surprise gravel patches Jeff.

Bike
2009 ST1300
this seems kind of deja vu for me, glad you made it through, I'm guessing you sacrificed the bike and got it out in front of you, perhaps in a momentary lapse in memory, glad it all worked out. The rest is all fun and games.

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
To heck with that sign. It had that coming. Same to the lower and pipe. Let this be a lesson to them so they know the difference between good attention and bad attention.

OP
OP
jrp

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
To heck with that sign. It had that coming. Same to the lower and pipe. Let this be a lesson to them so they know the difference between good attention and bad attention.
Obviously my attention wasn't good enough.

Bee

Bike
2002 Blue ST1100
We’ve all had ‘oh crap’ moments, a guy (in a car with blacked out windows at a junction) pulled out on me about a fortnight ago. Had to brake hard and swerve. I had anticipated him but still couldn’t believe he did it. Anyway, so glad you are ok and hope you get your bike fixed up soon.

Bike
VStrom 650
Sorry to hear of your woes JRP, glad you're walkin, talkin.
You seem to have held on to your sense of humour, which'll help.
I think paracetamol will be your friend today.
Take it easy.
Upt'North.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Here's your sign...... too soon?

Glad you're ok, that's the only thing that matters... could have ended a few different ways of course. You don't need a lotto ticket, you used up that luck and it was a good usage of luck IMO.

Top Bottom