What audio system to buy?

I just bought my 06 and love the bike. Almost bought a GW for the girlfriend but I think this one will be fine.
I'm not into electronics and my knowledge is limited, but I would like to get a good system so I can have comm with my passenger and maybe plug in some type of music over the headsets. Not interested in talking on my cell or anything else. One advantage of riding is getting away from all of that.
We both wear full face helmets so I assume I will need to install speakers and a mike.
Any help is appreciated.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Look at the J&M 2003 (I believe the model number is correct.) I liked the one I had on my ST1100; it's moving to the ST1300 as soon as I get time. It mounts above the left handlebar, using the clutch level bolts. It has intercom (be sure to buy the model for rider and passenger,) weather radio, intercom, and a plug-in for your MP3 player. You can buy direct from J&M; a lot of people like Sierra Electronics. Lots of local dealers also carry J&M, and I got a good discount from mine. Be sure to get the proper J&M headset for this specific radio. J&M equipment isn't cheap, but it's good quality. Their catalog is online.

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
You will get as many answers on this as you will on what kind of oil to use.:)

You have to look at what you want the unit to do and how much you want to spend. Autocom is the top of the line, and a lot of people will tell you that is the one to get. I did not have the money at the time so I went with the MIT 100. It does everything I want it to do for $200.00, XM, mp3, talk to my daughter when we go for rides, get calls on the cell phone, and use a GMRS radio. I wanted other farkels at the time, so I went with this unit so I could get those farkels. When and if this unit does die, yes, I will look at the Autocom. But for now, this is working fine. Others have not had good luck with the MIT, but I have for what I need it for.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I love the Autocom Active Plus and it will do all that you want. You would need the kit200 and one extra headset.

Ditto, Bob and Trey. I just tested my recent Autocom installation, which was quite simple, really. The Kit 200 includes two headsets and two mikes, audio and cell cables if you need them. I found this to be the most economical of all the alternatives. Works great, no noises, all is good!! Very happy!:) :) :) :) :)

sickchilly

ennui...
STOC #
How much does that Autocom AP Kit200 run? I love the features, reading about it, but is it worth the price for an occassional user? Just for occassional use and the economy of it all, I'm leaning towards the MIT100 right now.

Bob Hughes

Grounhog One
How much does that Autocom AP Kit200 run? I love the features, reading about it, but is it worth the price for an occassional user? Just for occassional use and the economy of it all, I'm leaning towards the MIT100 right now.
I believe that there is a ST-Owners.com group buy still in effect with BMW of No Dallas for 15% off and $5 shipping.

Maximo

Grand Waffle Maker
Bike
97 ST1100A
STOC #
Anyone have experience using the Nolan N-Com system? I'm needing to upgrade my flip up lid, and I'm thinking ahead for when I'll want a comm system too. Is the audio quality of these systems decent?

STOC #
+1 to the AutoCom:bow1: I had the Easy Plus for a while. Great for cell phone, Music and Two-up. Then I got my :07biker: bike-to-bike:biker: radio and wanted the active VOX feature of the Active Plus. Clear and true to their advertising. These thing are just what I needed.

In fairness the J&M and Starcom are also nice system. IMHO:eek: , do stay away from the Chatter Box. Some have had okay LUCK with them, but most everyone I've heard from have had "unkind" things to say about Chatterbox. :(

By the way if you want to start another post-flood, ask what radio would be good for bike-to-bike communications.:D

Top Bottom