Boots What boots to use during winter months/ Waterproof.

I wish they made Oxtars comfortable for girls. The female version"Sunray" fit the feet but not the calves, they must think most woman have ankles the size of a wrist. So I wear RedWings.

Why not wear the Oxtar mens then???

I wear the same boots,,, winter spring,,, summer and fall...

They are not to hot on a 110 degree day... or to cold on a 22 degree night...

If you ride for extended hours in the cold??? Take it from someone who goes to Green Bay Packer games and will be outside at -11 for 8 hours at a time...

I put on a pair of Propylene socks first... Then,,, I apply the sticky toe heat pads to the bottom of my toes... Just make sure they are not applied to the ball of your feet because it will make it odd to walk... If it is really cold??? Apply another on to the top of my toes... Then,,, apply another to your arch...

Then,,, put on another pair of socks over all this that are thin,,, tight,,, and coolmax to wick moisture...

The pads will last at least 8 hours,,, do not bother walking/riding if applied cas I say,,, and cost about $2 per 8 hours... ;)

These pads you talk about may do the trick. I don't mind the boots I have now. They just don't keep the piggies warm enough when on an all day ride in the 30's....

Why not wear the Oxtar mens then???

Different shape of the arch, however I went to MotorSport and the smallest sizes they had for men was a 7. Men size I would be a 5 1/2-6, I really don't know that many men with that small of a foot size.:D Also the smaller the foot size the smaller they make it around the calves, admittedly I have some thick calves.

First Gear Express

2009_Firstgear_Express_Boot.jpg

Sidi On Roads work well for me. One thing I learned......don't put in too thick of socks. I use my ski socks which are a combination of polyester/merino wool. Quite thin. Allows good circulation.
The toe warmers Terry is talking about can be found at most ski shops.

Rod

I have had these for about 18 months. Still look new. I would wear them to work and wear them all day. Very comfortable and with the right socks very warm.

My chaps extend down below the laces when in riding position so I may have a unique set-up. I dig 'em.

Attachments

• icon boots.jpg
    icon boots.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 135
After 3 years with Alpinestars Touring Gore-Tex, found them good in any weather. I put a thin cotton sock over my synthetic socks when the temps are closer to freezing and am comfortable enough for all day riding.

I ride with Wesco Jobmasters got cheap at a store quitting business here. They're not cheap otherwise.

They go with my territory: rainy riding, like logging, is a local tradition.

Nikwax keeps me perfectly dry.

503.gif

Styles

I have the Oxtar Matrix 2 and really like them.

However, toes do get a mite cold when the temps drop into the 30s.

I was thinking about buying low-cut "galoshes" (those rubber stretch boots people wear over their dress shoes)...and putting them on the outside of my Oxtars for an extra layer of warmth, and leaving them on for the winter months.

When I find a pair I like, I'll report back on how they work...

This is Harley Davidson's FXRG-3

They are VERY comfortable to wear, waterproof, and warm.

Attachments

• 04Partz.jpg
    04Partz.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 140
This thread is getting varied opinions as much as an oil thread...:duck:

This thread is getting varied opinions as much as an oil thread...:duck:

Was just looking through this tread again, and there are a lot of pics and opinions. A choice for every taste and pocketbook. If I had to buy a new pair today, it would be either a new pair of Infinities or the Sidi Onroads. The Sidi was on the shortlist 4 years ago. Don't remember what the deciding factor was back then. At any rate, if you buy a pair of high quality boots, and take care of them by cleaning and treating them on a regular basis, they'll last for a long time. I have used Lexol cleaner and and Lexol conditioner ever since I bought mine, and they still hold together good. I just have to find a place that can do a good job of resoling them.

AlpineSTars are nice, come up about calf height, waterproof, warm, fold your pants leg inside, then the boot liner folds down, partial zipper, then the rest seals up tight with velcro, with the boot wrapping around tight , extra protector on each boot for the gear shifter, reflectors on the back of the heel, good tractor sole, but not deep cleats that will track crap in the house......

I like mine a lot

they wipe off easy and polish up nice no matter how scuffed up the toe gets....

I wear ALPINESTARS Web Gore-Tex Waterproof Motorcycle Boots. I love 'em. I got big feet and they fit great. My feet stay warm and dry even riding in 20's.

mike

cruiserworks boots are the only boots I have found to remain waterproof after a long downpour and remain waterproof 10 years later. The leather has a lifetime warranty. Soles are cheap and easy to replace. Mine have oh about 250k miles on them. Need to replace the soles since the right one caught a nail (that ended up between my toes) and I fell asleep near a campfire and melted the right side sole......ooops

I WISH it would get up to 30. I guess it will this weekend.

I've been wearing Tourmaster Response SC (same as the Solution WP but shorter) boots for the last 3 years and really like them. Dry and seems to be warm at almost all temps. It really depends what you are used to. If in GA I can understand feeling cold when it's in the lower 30s or 20s F. But here in central Iowa it gets a bit colder than that. My feet (and all the rest of me) are warm down to zero F. This morning when I rode to work on the bike (roads finally stayed clear of snow-ice) the temp at my home was minus 5 (-5) F. This is the second time I've ridden the bike to work at that temp. Also the first time the very tips of my toes started feeling chilled, but only the toes. Then I realized I was letting my toes point down from the pegs and when I pulled them back on the pegs they warmed up some. As I said, it really depends on what you are used to. At also matters what you wear over the rest of you. In the colder temps (below 32) I have my street cloths plus thermal undies, fleece jacket, Tourmaster Flex jacket with all the layers in above the waist (5 layers other than street clothes). Below I have on First Gear convertable armored pants with the liner in. My hands need extra since they are the only part of me in the full wind so I turn up the heat with Gerbing gloves (warm even this morning). Full face modular helmet with a breathing tube to keep the visor from fogging up completes the ensemble.

Keeping your body warmer will help to keep the toes and fingers warmer.

BTW- it was down to +10 F on the way home today.

Back
Top Bottom