What Determines if a Connector is Male or Female

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I have a question for the electricians/electronics guys on here.
With something like a household connector where the conductors are either exposed or recessed it is easy to determine which is male and female. When both the male and female conductors are sheathed inside of an insulator what is the protocol?

I was looking for a connector on-line and it is impossible to trust the description because some vendors refer to it as male and some refer to it as female.
In the picture below the blue plastic insulator of this connector is female in that the mating plastic male insulator fits inside of the circle and D that you see below. The conductors housed inside of it however are male. The other half of this connector is male in that it fits inside of the below connector. This male connector however houses the female conductors.

So if the orientation is determined by the insulator this is female connector. If it is determined by the conductors found inside of the insulator this is a male connector.
Without pictures I would not be able to tell what many vendors are selling as some list the below as female and some list it as male.

Is the determination of whether an electrical connector is male or female made by the insulator or is it made by the conductors inside of the insulator?
Is there a standard/protocol so everyone knows what they are talking about that is being disregarded?

Last edited:
Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
It is the conductor that determines the sex of the connector, not the insulator. The connector you show is a male EC5. Here is a fully insulated male and female spade connector. If the insulation were missing, you would have no trouble knowing the sex of each connector. Strip the insulation and the same is true of an EC connector.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Andrew Shadow

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
That is how I have always determined a connectors sex as well- by the conductors. I saw so many mislabeled connectors I was beginning to wonder if something had changed when I wasn't looking. Good thing all of these vendors post pictures.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
That is how I have always determined a connectors sex as well- by the conductors. I saw so many mislabeled connectors I was beginning to wonder if something had changed when I wasn't looking.
With all the trans-gender issues in the news these days, I can understand the confusion.

I can't believe there hasn't been a single smart ass answer to this thread. Are you guys awake?
Happy? :biggrin:

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I have several two pin molex connectors (well and some three pin connectors also) that use a male and a female pin in the same "housing". I do this to make sure I don't connect the wrong plug into the wrong receptacle.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
In certain states your plug can decide whether it is a Female or Male connection.
Plumbing as the same rules, there is a insert and a reciever. Insert equals male, reciever equals female. Hopefully I don't have to explain this part.

slmjim

Hopeless Tool Junkie
Derby City - Home of The Louisville Slugger
Bike
Which one today...?
I can't believe there hasn't been a single smart ass answer to this thread. Are you guys awake?
Must... resist...

Certain localities & organizations which shall remain nameless recognize multiple gender "expressions".

Give it time.

Just like CA legislates specific pollution controls on internal combustion devices sold there, don't be surprised if said nameless localities & organizations begin to require connector "genders" that can be "plugged in" in a variety of ways.

Good Ridin'
slmjim

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Reminds me of my stint working at a hardware store in the plumbing department. A woman customer came in, obviously sent with a list of things to buy by someone up to their elbows in the job. As we collected the various male and female bits and bobs on her list she finally askes, "why are some called male and others female?" Trying to avoid an awkward moment I told here that the male fitting always fits into the female fitting. From her face she seemed to still be a bit confused, so I added. you know just like people. She took a moment to get what I was implying but I knew she understood when a wave of red blushing crossed her face and she simply said "PLUMBERS!" turned and left.

Top Bottom