What do u do for work?

beatlejuice

site supporter IBA member
STOC #
After reading Mellows post about Rob and Tricky Micky's post about some of you guys it got me wondering what the heck everyone on this board does for a living. i know we get a good idea from some of the posts like nurse bob, st pilot, island cop etc. but the profiles leave a little to be desired and i also know people want to keep it that way and thats ok. but i want to know more so ill start off. i sell CONCRETE yep pretty exciting eh! i dont know much about my ST except for what i have learned from you guys but im pretty good with concrete so if anyone needs info on concrete or has a question just let me know and ill try and help out. :04biker:

Medicine Bear

R.I.P. - 2010/11/14
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Retired air traffic controller and ex-commuter airline captain. Not much help with an ST - I can pick one out in a used car lot pretty reliably. :)

Fred :03biker:

fundyrider

Go Your Own Way
Bike
Trophy 1200
STOC #
33 years operating heavy equipment, bull dozers, payloaders and log loaders mostly, love it. :)
Peter :04biker:

Last edited:

Burger

mmmm hamburgers...
Bike
BMW K1600GT SE
STOC #
I'm the CTO for a US based software company and I live (and work) in the middle of the English countryside... go figure lol. The world sure has shrunk :)

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
Training and Development Coordinator for a Logistics Company in Detroit, MI.

Eclipse327

G.B. Packer fan
STOC #
I....

work as an asst parts manager at a Mercedes Benz dealership. Have worked in the auto industry for 20yrs.:04biker:

STOC #
I too work in the auto industry. I have been at it for 19 years. I am currently a Retail Training Manager. I lead a team of instructors and facilitators who do everything from computer and web-based application training to sales process training to interactive satellite broadcasts for General Motors. Tons of fun!

Bike
Thruxton
STOC #
Have been a Field Service Technician for this Big Blue Company :rolleyes:
for 27 years. Official title is System Service Representative :eek: 3.5 more years till retirement from them, then I can decide what I want to do when I grow up.

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
As little as possible. Ok, I'm a Network Engineer for the Global Service Technologies group of GE Healthcare, or whatever their calling it this month. ;)

Curt

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
Sr Systems Programmer for Equifax... IBM Mainframes, yes they are still around :eek: And don't ask about getting your CR fixed :rolleyes:

Last edited:

STLarry

Larry
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
what do u do for work ?

I am a Solution Consultant (Sales Engineer , Demo Dan, that kind of thing) fora large software company.. been doing it for 13 years..

:04biker:

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I've been a Service Technician for Bellsouth Telecommunications for 38 years. In about 5 more I'm going to find a real job.

Gordon

Bike
'10 ST1300
STOC #
DS3 and Optical Network Technician for the new ATT, formerly SBC, formerly Southwestern Bell, for the last 8 years. Before that spent 10 + years in the Navy as an Avionics Technician working on the E2 Hawkeye radar systems and the now retired A6 Intruder comm/nav equipment.

Greg

Bike
Aprilia Atlantic 200
STOC #
I spent 30 years as a lineman for Pacific Telephone/Pacific Bell. That gig included a lot of different tasks and I learned a lot.
My health went in the toilet so I retired in '94.
I got better and returned to the work force and in '99 I was asked to return as a contractor providing training mostly and some inspection work. I worked 'til late '01 and was layed off. I got called back in Sept '05, which leads me to what I do now:

I am involved in utility pole replacement
representing SBC Communications. The owner of the pole (usually the local power co.) will replace the pole for many reasons mostly due to old age/decay
I insure that everything involved in the process is in the best interest of SBC (now ATT). I do this by acquiring the paperwork, going to the pole and comparing what's written to what's actual and changing or approving what's proposed.
Also I write up a plan of action for ATT as to
what they need to do to get the replacement complete, maintain service quality and comply with laws and regs. Sometimes there will be just a simple transfer of the equipment that's on the pole..Sometimes new stuff or different stuff is needed. The old pole must be removed of course. Each pole has the pole tag numbers verified (where possible) and every pole is given a GPS coordinate for ease of location by the construction crews, especially important in rural areas with few cross streets for reference.

My area is quite large and covers 2 counties, Ventura and Los Angeles.
I cover Palmdale to the north, Ventura/Ojai to the north west and the San Fernando Valley and even Agoura and Calabasas.
A typical day would have me in Palmdale in the morning and Piru and Fillmore later that day. The next day may find me in Ventura and then Ojai and surrounding area. 200 plus miles per day is not uncommon.
9/15/06 My inspector gig slowed so now I am teaching pole climbing and more....

Real retirement :mcrider: will commence when this gig poops out.

Last edited:
STOC #
I work/help run (probably more work) at the family's campground. My parents and grandparents bought the place back in 1984 and I was part-time for many years till 1996. Then I came in full time and now my brother and I are in the process of taking over. During my part time years I was a Vending Machine Repairman. What fun. It gave me many different skills though, because in vending you'll find all the basics. Electrics, electronics, plumbing, refrigeration, and good ol' fashion mechanical stuff. Now I'm an RVIA certified RV Technician......shh...don't tell anyone.

Top Bottom