Helmets What do you do with helmets?

Bike
2012 ST1300
I have two half helmets and a modular that I haven't used for years. They're in great shape, but they are just gathering dust.

I doubt I'm the only one with this problem.

I'm looking for suggestions that may not make me money. But that won't cost me, either. I'm in Texas.

Thanks

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
I have two half helmets and a modular that I haven't used for years. They're in great shape, but they are just gathering dust.

I'm looking for suggestions that may not make me money. But that won't cost me, either. I'm in Texas.

Thanks
Turn them into hanging baskets - put compost in and fill with flowers! Look great and are a good conversation piece!

OP
OP
Freelancer
Bike
2012 ST1300
Turn them into hanging baskets - put compost in and fill with flowers! Look great and are a good conversation piece!
Not something I would have considered.

I was thinking more in terms of actually USING them. Silly me...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #

Thanks
Trash can.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I use them as garage a showpiece too. I wish I still had my old gold metal flake 3/4 from the '60's.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #

Thanks
I gave an old full face to a guy that worked at my local bicycle shop. He rode a scooter everywhere, didn't own a car. He really liked it for rain and cold.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I've got at least eight very old Shoeis and a Simpson sitting on a shelf.

There's the issue of when is a helmet that's in 'good shape' too old to be safe. Barring any obvious actual damage — I don't think anybody actually knows. The often offered figure is 5 years for a helmet. 'After that get rid of it' is the mantra.

All of those helmets except the Simpson have foam padding that disintegrates when you look at it. Who knows if the styrofoam or whatever crush liner is still as effective as when newly minted. Has age weakened the integrity of the shell? I have no idea.

They're all nice helmets or were way back when none of which had a lot of wear but shared the job. It's tough for me to think of an undamaged, non-stinking helmet as a consumable.

Bike
2010 ST1300
When you use them for planters, be sure to drill a few holes in the hats for drainage.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
With regard to full-face and modular helmets primarily ask your local fire department/first responders if they would like to have it for training purposes. If they do drill a couple of good sized holes in it so that it is obvious that it is no longer to be used. They can use it to learn and train with on how to properly remove a helmet from a crash victim. Ideally they should leave the helmet on and let the doctors at the hospital remove it where it is more safe to do so. In some cases they have no choice however and need to remove it at the scene to render life saving assistance. If a full-face helmet fits properly it is not easy to remove if you simply grab it and yank. From what I have read, and from personal experience when I had a crash, they have no training on how to safely remove a helmet from an injured person. If they are not bikers themselves they have no idea how to remove it at all.

Bike
VStrom 650
With regard to full-face and modular helmets primarily ask your local fire department/first responders if they would like to have it for training purposes. If they do drill a couple of good sized holes in it so that it is obvious that it is no longer to be used. They can use it to learn and train with on how to properly remove a helmet from a crash victim. Ideally they should leave the helmet on and let the doctors at the hospital remove it where it is more safe to do so. In some cases they have no choice however and need to remove it at the scene to render life saving assistance. If a full-face helmet fits properly it is not easy to remove if you simply grab it and yank. From what I have read, and from personal experience when I had a crash, they have no training on how to safely remove a helmet from an injured person. If they are not bikers themselves they have no idea how to remove it at all.
How right you are, again from personal experience, the average Dr. hasn't got a clue, not in the UK anyway. I wonder how many have had input on quick release cheek pads to enable safe removal, I'm guessing none.
It's great that these features are often included in modern helmets but does this get passed onto A and E or in my case just a G.P. who happens across you and with the best intentions tries to help.
As an aside if you are tempted to go with the Gazunder idea Freelancer I'd avoid drilling any holes in them.
Upt'North.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
the average Dr. hasn't got a clue
Agreed.
The theory behind it is that the hospital has the capability of cutting it off rather than trying to remove it and risking further injury. If the process of removing the helmet causes further injury, or aggravates already present injuries, the hospital is better equipped to deal with them than are the paramedics in the field.

Top Bottom