Helmets What do you do with helmets?

If they’re still usable why not donate them to goodwill, Salvation Army or a local charity thrift store?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I tried to donate two helmets - both in good condition - to our local Goodwill and they said that they will not take helmets period. Something about perceived liability I guess.
Harry

Bike
1991 Honda ST 1100
That's the point. I have two others I wear everyday based on the weather.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I think this site has a freebies page you could post so they go to a good home, perhaps some without a lot of money may need one?

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Always check the date inside a helmet that hasn't been used for a few years. If more than 6 years past don't contribute to the Darwin award collection. Many of the above ideas are great... EXCEPT those that suggest putting any old helmet past its expiration date back into service even if through Salvation Army or Goodwill or offered for free to anyone. I wouldn't want to think that I even could possibly be responsible for someone becoming brain dead because they were wearing one of my old helmets that was 6+ years old when I gave it to them. And that is a very real possibility.

Bike
R1200rt
Always check the date inside a helmet that hasn't been used for a few years. If more than 6 years past don't contribute to the Darwin award collection. Many of the above ideas are great... EXCEPT those that suggest putting any old helmet past its expiration date back into service even if through Salvation Army or Goodwill or offered for free to anyone. I wouldn't want to think that I even could possibly be responsible for someone becoming brain dead because they were wearing one of my old helmets that was 6+ years old when I gave it to them. And that is a very real possibility.
The date is there for a reason, we need to sell more helmets!! Helmets are not biodegradable, Fiberglass boats last more than 5 years so what happens to a helmet other than the material inside gets a little worn if that??

rcb

Bike
93 ST1100
STOC #
I use older helmets for go carts and such. And sometimes someone needs one in a pinch.

Top Bottom