What have I missed here?

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
In all seriousness, I changed my bearings out in August and left the wheel out in the sun and put the bearings in the freezer for a few hours. I used a socket to tap them in place, too. It did work much better.

I just wanted to hear Jim tell the story of putting the wheel/tire in the oven :D
Mike

OP
OP
JimSTer

JimSTer

Motorcycle "rider"!!
Bike
15 Yamaha FJ-09
STOC #
Jim,
Stick your tire/wheel in the oven to heat it and put the bearings in the freezer.......they'll slide right in. I'm pretty sure your wife won't mind. Just tell her that this tip came free from the folks on this forum :D
Mike
Thanks, Mike. I had the bearings in the freezer for several days before pressing them in. My wheel wouldn't fit in the oven and besides my wife just wouldn't dig that part of the procedure. :confused:
Left the wheel outside in the sun. Didn't seem to do much good. The temps around here haven't been above zero for several weeks now.:shrug2:

Last edited:
Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
I've been injecting Moly grease into my bearings , the first time I change tires on a bike, for many years. The bearing manufacturers only seem to put a nominal amount of grease in their bearings for you can guess their reasons. I got the grease injectors from NAPA , they are needles with a zerk fitting that plug into your grease gun. I use them on car wheel bearings, etc. also. But you have to do it very carefully, you slip the needle tip GENTLY past the rubber sealing lip surface to the inner race steel , otherwise you can stab and pierce the seal which eventually screws up your bearing if the grease can then leak out thru the stab/tear. If you can't see clearly up close , maybe you shouldn't do it . But I've been doing it successfully for about 30 years now so it can be done. Bearings can work great for a great many years if they contain a decent supply of grease.

OP
OP
JimSTer

JimSTer

Motorcycle "rider"!!
Bike
15 Yamaha FJ-09
STOC #
Sorry to hear you won't be at MSLR this year.
All the best to your son. And thank him from me for his service.

Top Bottom