What I didn't like about this...

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
For those that are playing along (or just interested) with the thing that @Kaiser Swaghelm II and I started, what follows below is what I consider to be my worst ride in a long time.

It was my usual Talk'n'Ride style, and nothing seriously bad happens, there's no crashes, no corners are over-cooked, no wheels are locked up etc. But after this ride, I pulled over, gave myself a serious talking to and went back to attack the road in the opposite direction. The opposite direction video is posted on this thread (post #15).

A few minutes in I've chopped the audio and replaced it with some free music from Youtube, the audio track would tell you why I felt this ride was poor. Also, there's no image stabilisation applied to this in post, I'm not sure if this looks better for not having it?

Anyway, all comments welcome, as always. So, what did I not like here? What don't you like?

Last edited:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Interesting concept, reviewing Pilot videos this way.
As a RiderCoach, I'm used to observing and analyzing rider performance from off the bike, and looking specifically for objectives from each riding exercise as they navigate path of travel on a closed course.
This is definitely a departure from my usual vantage point!
I'll have to pay more attention, although overall riding posture is tougher to see, except for head and eyes from the camera view / head checks, etc.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Seemed perfectly normal to me. Tough to see what errors there were, if any. Kept sliding over to the oncoming lane, why? Setting up for the corner, or avoiding rough road surface? Also, the vegetation being right up to the road edge gave me a bit of tunnel vision/claustrophobic feeling, coupled with making it seem like it was must faster than it should be? I felt the same when I drove in Southern England.

RT

OP
OP
Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
To anyone that still wants to play the "spot what he didn't like game" - don't read this post. :)

That out of the way:

@rwthomas1 - the oncoming lane use is what we call "offsiding" - and I was using it for both the reasons you state (longer view ahead & avoiding rough conditions. Your tunnel vision was probably made a little worse by the fisheye lens on the camera too. I've seen an Adobe plugin that might fix that, so I'll try it on another video.

@Sadlsor - On the ST, I tend not to climb around like I used to on sportsbikes. It's also hard to see what my eyeballs are doing, but that's no different to following a bike as a coach/mentor/instructor really. Cast a close eye over it though, and you'll probably see why I didn't like it & what I was unhappy about. Please do cast a close eye over it though, and compare it to John's video recently of the same road.

You where a bit, how should I put it.... man handley on the bars.
That, in a nutshell, is it. I'd had a bad day and was in a bit of physical pain, particularly my left shoulder. My head wasn't in the game, and my body was too stiff. You can't see it on camera, but my arms were locked straight for at least 80% of that ride. As a consequence:
  • I was far too reactionary, far too late, to far too many things. Look at the number of corners I go deep into & around, then throw the bike back out to either 3 or offside, the tightening of the turn is done too aggressive and in those road conditions, stops me getting on the throttle as early as I could have.
  • My eyes weren't "up the road" enough. At the start of the video, I'm talking about things you can't even see yet in the fisheye lens. Not long after I cut the audio, I'm talking about things as I get to them, and worse, about half way in the ride I'm talking about things after I pass them I get a little disoriented (thinking I'm further along the road than I was).
  • I was in several bad positions. One example being 7min 25, I wouldn't have used position 3 there, but I should have been in 2. 3 is bad for oncoming traffic positioning into their left turn with a slight crest at that junction. 1 is bad because all I need, is a teenager in a John Deere putting a wheel over the giveway lines.... Equally, at times, I should have been offsiding and wasn't.
  • I was far too hesitant at times (mostly for my own tastes).
  • On at least 3 occasions, I'm in too low a gear (another reason for "hiding" the audio). One being the same uphill right hand that I questioned why John changed down. I should have been in 3rd there, but was in 2nd and regretted it as soon as I clicked down. It's a long uphill right hand, I'm revving high & the bike wants to tip in more with the camber & speed, so I'm actually on tape there saying "stay left, stay left, stay left... and now... open up" (which again, is me talking about things as I'm doing them, not when I see them).
  • I clipped cats eyes & manhole covers when there was simply no need to.
I knew it was a sub-par ride, so I had a word with myself about it. The ride back was much better, though still far from perfect. That's posted on John's thread for anyone that wants to see it.

Bike
ST1100X
STOC #
What caught my eye at ~26seconds, was the dark car more than half on the pavement. I'd worry about the driver - are they in a rush and prepared to take a chance - jump in and pull out? Who knows what's going on there! But..... concealed just behind the car is a strolling man and his unrestrained dog. I'm always worried at what loose animals might do next.....

Bike
'06 ST1300A
And I thought I was hard on myself... Good on you for demanding a "more perfect" execution of your piloting. I applaud you sir!

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
"Fluid" is the proper description for lane position; you are correct.
Traffic changes, road condition changes, terrain changes and more -- all add up to potential lane position changes.

OP
OP
Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
Fluid is indeed the correct description, for a lot of things motorcycling, not just positioning. But that's also my problem with the ride depicted in the video. I should have been anticipating, positioning to be ready, and then allowing myself to fluidly react in case my anticipations were wrong. I was missing the pre-planned anticipation part.

As it might be helpful, I'll break down some of my own thoughts about my own video, in the same way I've looked at other video's posted.

1min 34. Left of the arrow puts me too close to the curb on the exit. Should have done that in more of a straight line.
2min 36. Van just passed me, should have been out in 3 for the view ahead.
3min 10. Clipped the manhole cover. Good surface condition, but it's been dry for about a week and was just starting to get damp out. No real risk, but I know better than clipping covers with the bike leant over.
3min 15. Why am I not offside into 5 there?
3min 21. Clipped the cats eyes on the way out to offside unsettling the bike a little.
3min 32. Late to move the bike back out to 2. The view opened at 3min 31. My late action resulted in some manhandling to avoid the manhole cover.
3min 39. Far too hesitant. It's a house with a driveway, and a manhole cover lurking around the bend in 1. It ain't the boogey man with an oil slick waiting for me...
3min 50. The view has opened. Why the hell am I still in 1 hugging the tree line? It takes me a full 2 secs to react to the open view.
4min 21. Offside opportunity there, and it's good for view into the left/right switchback. 3secs later, I'm still in the wrong damn place. By 4min 26, I'm clipping the left apex early & can't see the full width of the road to the left. Had I been offsiding 5 secs earlier, I would have cleared that. That set me up badly for the right, and at 4min 28 you can see I force the bike left/right to try better my position, ready for the next offsiding.
4min 33. Back in too early from offsiding. No point going out there if you're not going to use it. Should have stayed out about another 3 seconds.
4min 41. I'm between 1 & 2, tight junction appears left. I'm positioning for the right hander with a slight crest, forgetting that tractors use that small lane. I could have been 6 inches further over without sacrificing safety from anything that might have been oncoming. I know I want to be moving to 3 anyway for the coming left.
4min 57. Manhole cover clipped again. Dodgy surface on the right side of that one.
5min 07. Manhole cover clipped again.
5min 09. Mahhole cover again. Didn't have much choice about that with oncoming, but could have had the bike more settled for it.
5min 14. Offsiding, but back in too early again. I also didn't go wide enough on that one.
5min 44. Again, back in too early after offsiding. I was prioritising the empty farm track on my right, and came back in over the rough patch of tarmac.
6min 34. Clipped a pot hole on the left.
6min 43. What the hell was I thinking? Straight over a series of pot holes, upsetting the suspension just before the bend.
... the list goes on...

So yes, maybe I am a little OCD about my own riding. 7 mins of video, 19 things I didn't like.

The one thing I expected questions about, no-one has asked yet too... 15min 45, I stop well back from the red light, give a hefty shoulder check to make sure I'm happy with the rear in case someone comes around the bend into me, and sit there. The reasoning is pretty simple. At 15min 25, knowing where the road goes, I looked across the valley and saw a Heavy Goods Vehicle coming the opposite way. I didn't see what he was carrying but knew that I'd meet him at some point through the village. When I got to the red light on a downhill, I figured I'd buy some options - if he needed to swing wide for his uphill left hand, I could sit back out of his way, or tuck extreme to my left. It was kind of a calculated risk versus the potential for traffic coming up behind me.

Top Bottom