What is the easiest way to remove the ST1100 ABS Front Wheel Sensor?

Bike
Honda ST1100 ABS/TCS
STOC #
Hi,
my ST1100 ABS front wheel sensor has stopped working. I would like to remove it to test then fix or replace with aftermarket options. What is the simplest way to disconnect it from the TCS/ICM (without cutting the wires)? I am hoping to keep riding while I resolve the problem. The manual say remove the top fairing but I was wondering whether removing the screen and the black plastic above the headlight might get to it?

Regards
Garry

Last edited:

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I can't help. I have forgotten.

I can tell you that there is a three pin connector to disconnect, and that there is a cable clip which WILL release - it took me a long time to work out how to do it - and I don't remember. I seem to remember that the clip swivels - I guess to allow for the fact that the wire has to move with the steering.

Before you do that though - have you checked that the sensor will remove from the caliper bracket? Do not use any force. Not even a tiny bit.
Have you checked the pulsar ring for cracks, debris.
Have you checked the (magnetic) surface of the sensor for bristles from your wire brush, and for any other metal debris that might have been attracted to it.
And the air gap between sensor and pulsar ring.

There's a check that I discovered.
Clear the Ecu error codes. Even if you have already done them.
Do not turn off the ignition. Instead, spin the front wheel and watch the abs light (you might need help!). If it flashes, the sensor is working.

The front and rear sensors are the same apart from the length of the cable and the colour of the connector. So in theory they can be interchanged to check if the fault moves with the sensor.

But, the fault code will never be recorded again if a sensor is faulty. Both sensors need to be working and the abs system armed to recognise that a fault has occurred.

Last edited:
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Same as the st1300. Google the part number. Partszilla or ebay may have a new one. What years is ur 1100

Bike
ST1100
wondering whether removing the screen and the black plastic above the headlight might get to it?
I suppose not - the ABS unit sits behind the headlight, on the right side. I think it is needed to remove right side upper fairing to be able trace and disconnect wire from the sensor.

OP
OP
Garry_Coates
Bike
Honda ST1100 ABS/TCS
STOC #
I am going to put a camera snake up in there to determine exact location. Waiting until I have permanent space in the garage post renovations.

OP
OP
Garry_Coates
Bike
Honda ST1100 ABS/TCS
STOC #
Same as the st1300. Google the part number. Partszilla or ebay may have a new one. What years is ur 1100
Upto 1995
Honda 38520-MAJ-781 or 38520-MAJ-780 Front Sensor
Honda 38510-MAJ-781 Rear Sensor
After 1995
Honda 38520-MAJ-G40 SENSOR, FR. WHEEL SPEED
Honda 38510-MAJ-781 SENSOR Placement: REAR

These are the part numbers for the ST1100 ABS wheel sensors. I understand they are interchangeable except for wire length. If you can prove ST1300 sensors are interchangeable with these, you will make people very happy. The ST1100 sensor has 3 wires. The ST1300 has 2 wires. Some explanation on how to get the ST1300 sensor working with the 3 wire setup would also be useful.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garry_Coates
Bike
Honda ST1100 ABS/TCS
STOC #
Hi, I have just confirmed you can reach the front wheel sensor connector by: removing the screen, garnish, then moving the TCS/ICM and the bracket out of the way. A bit like removing the instrument cluster. Anything else requires atleast removing the pockets. Full troubleshooting requires removing top section of fairing.

Last edited:
Bike
VStrom 650
Houston, I have a problem. 1999 ST1100 rear abs sensor won't budge. Any advice welcome. Thank you.
Excuse my ignorance but how's it held in? If everything is just seized I would suggest soaking in Plusgas and then if necessary heat too. If you can disconnect it from the cable your friendly bike garage might get it out for a little wonga.
Good luck.
Upt.

Hi Upt',

Thanks for your prompt response. Unfortunately I don't know how it's being held in. I suspect its JB Weld as it literally won't budge. The hex bolts came out with no fuss and the wiring literally pulled away from the sensor. I thought it was a friction fit secured by the hex bolts but it won't even wiggle.Am hoping someone knows a hack that will allow me to get it out in one piece.

Can't seem to find any videos for it on YT or guidance on here.

Does anyone know where the rear abs sensor cable goes and plugs into please? It disappears off the swing arm at the back off the engine, never to be seen again. Lol

Do I need to remove the air filter and housing to access it?

Also, I've unbolted the metal casing that presumably holds the gear oil for the shift drive. Does it need liquid gasket maker on it when it goes back together?

Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom