Helmets What is the quietest helmet you've ever had?

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
This is all a matter of perspective. I learned to fly in open cockpit aircraft....PT17, PT19 and PT22....my choice vs the Cessna 150. Compared to the loud, wonderful noises that darn near everything made, modern helmets are a dream.

Bike
2005 ST1300
I haven't found a quietest helmet...I have had only helmets that fit my noggin, and each had/has a different kind of noise. So I wear earplugs or sound isolating earbuds.
:shrug1:
Any specific brand ear buds you would recommend?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Bike
2005 ST1300
I thought I was upgrading (getting quieter) from my $250 Scorpion EXO 900 to my new $500 Shoei Neotec. But am very disappointed in the noise with the Neotec. I drank the Kool Aid...doesn't taste good. Spending more money guarantees nothing other than you will have less to spend.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Any specific brand ear buds you would recommend?

These are the kind I buy, I usually get the 33 db variety and they seem to work well for me. Feel much more rested at the end of the ride and you can understand the bluetooth speakers more clearly. I don't see any downside to them. It is important to learn how to properly insert them otherwise they can be uncomfortable.

Gerhard

Bike
07 ST1300
I guess "quiet is in the ears of the beholder". I've used a Shoei RF1100 and a Neotec and I find the Neotec MUCH noisier. OTOH, I've used the helmets on four bikes (St1300, 1200RT and two 1200GS's) so bike may have something to do with it. Still, the noise is not enough to make me go back to the RF1100...I LOVE the design and functionality of the Neotec.
Ahh but I have not used the rf1100. The Neotec IS the quietest helmet I have ever had. I'm sure a GOOD full face is quieter then the best modular.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
I've got several hundred miles on my GT Air since the beginning of 2016 and I am entirely satisfied with the level of noise. The comfort is outstanding (once the cheek pads get broken in) and the volume off my SENA SMH10 is more than enough. I did install UCLEAR HD speakers and I am extremely pleased with the quality and range of sound. I can not, realistically, run full volume as it WAY too much. I have to say though that with the change of helmet (from Bell Qualifier DLX to the Shoei GT Air) I changed the wind screen from the stock to a clearview med with the GW vent. Now I just need to evaluate the air flow during temps over 60 degrees. The difference in noise levels has (believe it or not) actually made the riding experience even better!

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
I have always worn either ICON or SHOEI and had no idea why guys bothered with ear plugs, that is until I bought a helmet different brand "ON SALE". You do get what you pay for. A quality helmet feels great, looks great, will save your life, and is usually the
quietest.
I have Shoei RF1200 which is suppose to be quiet and a BMW System 6 which is also reputed to be quiet but I find both are helped a lot by using foam ear plugs. I find I can go all day and feel less tired when wearing the foam plugs than when not wearing them.

Gerhard

Bike
07 ST1300
I've got several hundred miles on my GT Air since the beginning of 2016 and I am entirely satisfied with the level of noise. The comfort is outstanding (once the cheek pads get broken in) and the volume off my SENA SMH10 is more than enough. I did install UCLEAR HD speakers and I am extremely pleased with the quality and range of sound. I can not, realistically, run full volume as it WAY too much. I have to say though that with the change of helmet (from Bell Qualifier DLX to the Shoei GT Air) I changed the wind screen from the stock to a clearview med with the GW vent. Now I just need to evaluate the air flow during temps over 60 degrees. The difference in noise levels has (believe it or not) actually made the riding experience even better!
I tried on a GT Air and it felt GOOD. But instead I got my girl a Neotec. Oh well not always about ME I guess.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Never mind, looked at the website again and searched for a dealer near here, Stubbs Cycles sells 'em.

Steve398

... another retired Black Rat.
Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC
I've worn an Arai RX7GP for the last four years and the RX7 before that, great ventilation so I don't expect a quiet helmet. I always wear foam earplugs....

Bike
2009 ST 1300
I recently purchased the quiet ride helmet fullface carbon fiber and this is my review that I posted on their website.

After finding Quiet Ride Helmets on the Internet. I decided to give them a call about my concerns of ordering helmet online. While speaking with Alvin I asked him if I order one of your helmets and do not like the fit of it then what. He confidently told me that I should put it right back in the box and ship it back to him for a helmet in the correct size. My next question to him was if I cannot find a helmet that comfortably fits my head am I stuck with it. He assured me that I could return helmet for a refund if we had no luck with fitting my head. So armed with this information I confidently ordered my Quietride helmet. I ordered it Wednesday afternoon and it took until Friday for me to receive it. Am I inpatient or what. Great customer service. Upon opening the box I feel the fit and finish of this helmet is on par for this price point. The size was spot on for what I had ordered. I needed an extra large and the extra-large was the right size for me.
Going from a half shell helmet to a full face will take some getting used to but the helmet fit and felt great. Curious to how well the earmuffs will work inside the helmet I quickly began fiddling with the air pump. It seems about 8 to 10 Pumps is ideal pressure on the muffs for me. Now it's off for a ride. The lack of noise in this helmet is amazing. You have to let the air out of the muffs in order to really appreciate how well they work.
Now for the icing on the cake. I connected the helmet to my iphone and turn the music on. The volume level before compared to now is amazing. Now I do not have to drowned out the Wind, engine, environment noise. I can listen to my music at a reasonable level not having to overcome the noise around me.
Airflow in the helmet seems to be very good when I was riding the temperature was 55 degrees which is not uncomfortable. But I noticed even with the top vents shut off the top of my head was getting cold. But then I don't have any hair up there. So this assures me that during the warm weather with vents open I will have plenty of airflow.
Overview of the quiet ride helmet this is everything that it is advertised to be. I am looking forward to many seasons of enjoying the quiet and not the noise. Thanks Alvin.
Kip Felker
Grandville, Michigan
March 17th, 2016

Bike
ST1100-L
I cant wear earplugs as I have small canals and the plugs don't fit in! They just fall out, even tried molded ones. I had an HGC FG15 which was ok, by just brought schuberth C3 Flip front as recomened as the best on the market, as the helmet covers more of the chin, and there is only two vents. Behind the pan screen at 80mph it about the same as 60 with my old lid. I can hear my satnav and music fine on my headset.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
I guess "quiet is in the ears of the beholder". I've used a Shoei RF1100 and a Neotec and I find the Neotec MUCH noisier. OTOH, I've used the helmets on four bikes (St1300, 1200RT and two 1200GS's) so bike may have something to do with it. Still, the noise is not enough to make me go back to the RF1100...I LOVE the design and functionality of the Neotec.
Nailed it. My thoughts exactly. I have the same two helmets.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
After a season with my Shoei GT Air I am very satisfied. I have become used to wearing foam earplugs though. The sound quality I get with my Sena SMH 10 with UClear speakers is spectacular and has too much bass (believe it or not). I do run a small amp in line from the Sena to the UClear speakers but the ear plugs filter out the high pitch tones and make the ride fantastic. The air flow is Ok but no better than my Bell Qualifier DLX. The comfort is out of this world. I can wear the helmet all day and not get fatigued and there are no pressure points. The internal sun shade is wonderful and I can't imagine getting another helmet without it. When I find a decent price on another Shoei GT or Neotech I will pick it up for my wife to replace her Shoei Quest.

Ride Safe.

Top Bottom