What is this?

I took this piece off when I had a bunch of stuff off the bike, and discovered it after I put everything (almost!) back together, but I couldn't figure out where it came from, nor can I find it on parts diagrams. What/where is it?

20240424_193207.jpg20240424_193212.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Christopher

It's off a '91 ST1100. If memory serves, the two parallel slots on the second photo slipped over two blades, and it's a friction fit. Maybe a damper between two pieces (think I might have been swapping the air filter at the time). Bike seems to work fine since, but I'd like to put that wherever it's supposed to be, I'm sure Honda didn't just stick it there for fun.

It looks similar to plastic guards that fit over electrical connections. I see this all the time on the ends of some non-polarized AC cords. Do you specifically remember removing it from something on the bike? If so it's probably from some third-party accessory and not part of factory kit.

It looks similar to plastic guards that fit over electrical connections. I see this all the time on the ends of some non-polarized AC cords.
No, it's not one of those, but if it's from a bike, it could be a blank cover for an unused connector.

It's sort of "polarized"; note the notch on the back edge:

1714340482400.jpeg

Last edited:
I had a '95 and a '96 1100, which I routinely had stripped of all bodywork to do all my maintenance over 27 years. Never saw a part that looked like that, or the colour of it, as that would certainly stick in the memory.

John O. with his '91 could likely confirm this.

I don't know why it came off that color, it's actually black rubber. The bike is almost bone stock (the changes I've made are few, just lights and upgraded hydraulic lines, etc)... I can't imagine it was added (my father bought it new, it's been in the family since the dealer). Just checked and I can't find a part number printed into it, so maybe it's not Honda.

It's off a '91 ST1100. If memory serves, the two parallel slots on the second photo slipped over two blades, and it's a friction fit. Maybe a damper between two pieces (think I might have been swapping the air filter at the time). Bike seems to work fine since, but I'd like to put that wherever it's supposed to be, I'm sure Honda didn't just stick it there for fun.
I have a 1991 that I completely refurbished three years ago. Never saw this part. It does look like a cap for an open two prong connector, maybe from an add-on device?

Back in the day ( probably 45 years ago now) , I did a lot of automotive work for friends and acquaintances. It was a way to make a few bucks on the side, and I had a bit of talent for it- especially rebuilding carburetors. My Dad thought it was the absolute HEIGHT of hilarity to walk by and toss in an extra machine screw , then wait for me to go ballistic trying to remember where it went.
Maybe the same thing?

Top Bottom