What parts Needed?

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Just sold 1999 ST1100 that was absolutely great handling and riding. Bought 2004 ST1300 and I am really disappointed in its handling. Great turning and cornering but a lot of bobbing and terrible behind and along side trucks and such on highways.
Have read countless threads and am in the process of assimilating all the information and try to come up with plan. I have tighten front forks with proper sequence and that helped. The preload valve was in bad shape and I cleaned it and refilled.
I believe I will work on front forks first. On my ST1100 I had done service to original forks as stock (serviced at 133,000 now has 166,000) and just put on a older "new" Progressive rear shock. Had Metzler Z6's from beginning and still believe they are a great tire for the 1100. Rock solid, quiet, great traction in all weather.

The St1300 has stock suspension with 77,000 on it all. I weigh around 180 with gear. Figure bike around 682 lb.s wet. I ride aggressive in the slow tight twisties and like a good stable planted ride on highways with lack of hashness.
Questions..
1. With any work done, either by Race Tech or my self with new springs such as Sonic and maybe Gold valves, am I correct in assuming I still need to buy and replace (Honda Parts?) all the other stuff such as seals, bushings and slides as I need on my ST1100 forks?

2. Do you find wobble and bouncing are related to the windshield along with the suspension? I have a Laminar shield and lip on the ST1100 that seemed to really preform and help the bikes travel down the highway. I notice they only make a lip for the stock shield, which is scratched and needing replacement. Like to see over windshield and fine the stock ST1300 is really noisy and buffeting except when all the way up...I hate looking through the glass (punn intended.)

3. The bike has Michelin PR3's. The front seems noisier than my ST1100 and it sure wanders in the wind or behind trucks and such. Has anyone had this experience when going with the PR3's

4. I don't want to resurrect any previous threads but there was one thread just recently that some of the guys in March or so were doing some Race tech and Traxxion upgrades and promised to do follow-up which I can't seem to see yet.
I wondered if they might post how things went.

I posted this here because it all seems to relate and I did not want to start multiple threads. :eek::

GaryRivers67

Gary Rivers
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Suspension changes for front forks you will need Seals, bushings, Oil, Springs to match weight and riding style, Racetech valving. Results, more control and smoother ride in dirty air. To date best bang for my buck on my 05 ST1300.

Top Bottom