What RPM do you cruise at?

I was wondering if you more experienced riders could give me advice as to your prefered cruising RPM? When you are on the highway cruising at say 70MPH, do you prefer 4th gear at aprox 4K to 4.5K or do you go in 5th gear at 3.5K???
Which is better for your engine life, performance, etc.???
:04biker:

2004 ST1300

FJRHank

"Scooter Pimp"
Doc,
not sure if this is helpful to you, but part of my awareness of my speed / rpm tells me what gear I'm in, so I dont try to shift to 6th!

but sure, if I'm riding hard, it's a lower gear, so I can accelerate more quickly. One thing to keep in mind though, excessive engine braking isn't good, as they say "it's alot cheaper to replace brakes then valves".

On the flip side, never ever under any circumstances, lug the engine. Worse thing you can do to it.

regards,

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Does RPM Matter!

I for one do not think that the RPM of the engine matters at all, providing it is not in the red of course.

You must choose the correct gear for every road and traffic condition you are engaging so the bike stays responsive.

If I am doing motorway stuff, then I will be sitting in 5th gear, I will have respect for the fuel consumption, wear and tear on the machine and the heat to be dissipated by the radiator (WOW that is a cool one LOL)

IMO you should not work on RPM for normal riding, you should work on each and every situation you are going through. So, if you are cruising along at 70 MPH, with just a straight line of tarmac in front of you, do you really want to be running in fourth gear with the engine revving at 5,000 RPM for instance, I hope not because your fuel consumption will be high for a start.

However, when you come into a situation or a lower speed limit of say 30 MPH, then you drop the bike into a responsive gear, you must remember that you can accelerate out of danger as well as accelerate into that danger. So if it were me giving advice, stop looking at the REV counter, go with your feelings. If you are in a tight situation, the gear selected should be a low one to give the response. If you are out on an open highway riding at 60 MPH for instance with nothing in front of you, then you should be in 5th gear having regards to bike sympathy. As soon as the road tightens up for a bend or a situation arises, that is when you consider a lower gear.

That is just my dollars worth, but I always think about bike sympathy and the wear and tear on the engine, tyres and fuel consumption. I use the block method of gear changing instead of coming down each gear in sequence, this also reduces wear and tear on the clutch components and also myself.

I have forgotten the last time I looked at the REV counter because I do not ride aggressive any more, but can do if the need arises, but even then, I would not use REV counter, I would go with my feelings, experience and what the bike will actually do for me.

There you go, just my opinion.

now let me see pie r squared?

er downunder we use kilometers per hour and i notice on my 06 model that 120kph (I think that may be around 70mph) i am cruising nicely at 4000rpm.

but then again we are upside down...:D

OP
OP
OK, I know that lugging is bad.....we all know this. What do you think of a cruising RPM that matches the performance characteristics of the engine? We drive cars that red line at 4 or 5K, but the ST red lines at 8K. Does this imply that it is better for this high performance engine to cruise in the 5K+ range?

Is it better for the engine, or even though you are not lugging it, is it OK for the engine performance and life if you cruise at 3.5K?????

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I like to cruise at 5000 rpm on the ST1100... to bad this 5th gear rpm is a LEO magnet...

Mark

jackpine savage

R.I.P. - 2006/07/24
Rest In Peace
DocNeal said:
OK, I know that lugging is bad.....we all know this. What do you think of a cruising RPM that matches the performance characteristics of the engine? We drive cars that red line at 4 or 5K, but the ST red lines at 8K. Does this imply that it is better for this high performance engine to cruise in the 5K+ range?
My wife's Honda Accord redlines at almost 7K RPM but cruizing at 60 mph the tach reads about 2K so cars are catching up with motorcycles at the high RPMs yet still operate well at low RPMs. The car downshifts readily so lugging at these low engine speeds is not an issue.

Is it better for the engine, or even though you are not lugging it, is it OK for the engine performance and life if you cruise at 3.5K?????
My ST feels like I'm lugging it anywhere under about 2500 RPM. I try to keep it at 3K or above, even when I'm in a lower gear going through towns at 30 MPH. 3.5K RPM is only about 65 in 5th gear so the bike should go forever at this speed. There is usually a comfort RPM attached to most bikes. They "like" to run at certain RPM ranges. The ST is less prone to this as 90 mph (or 4800 RPM) feels much like 60 (or 3200 RPM) other than the wind forces.

Beyond that lugging cutoff of 2.5-3K rpm you'll just have to use your judgement. If the question is "Is it better for the engine to run at 70 in 4th rather than 5th?" I would say no. Would it be more fun? Probably yes.:D
Jackpine

milkmaster said:
my bike loves to cruise at 4K in high gear. smooth as silk. I have no speed healer, so I have no idea exacly how fast I am going at that RPM. ANyone else know?
Milkmaster
Going by my GPS, 4000rpm is exactly 70mph on mine. Speedometer reads 75

Clair

'01 ST1100
I ride an ST1100 ... and it depends on the type of ride I'm doing.

Superslab I tend to ride around 75-80 mph (legal SL here is 65 and 75 mph depending where you are, with traffic usually ignoring the 65 and doing around 75 mph anyway). That speed range, 75-80 puts me right around 4000 on the RPM scale. I have plenty of roll on power still at that point if I need it, no need to ride in 4th just to up the RPM's. Also, I prefer as much fuel economy as I can if I'm on the slab.

Around town ... this is usually in the 35-50 mph and I'll usually stay in 3rd gear for this to keep the RPM's between 3000 and 4000. Decent range, nice roll on if I need it, and things aren't twitchy if I bump the throttle any. Sometimes I'll drop down to 2nd upping the RPM's if I feel I need that extra response given the traffic conditions.

Twisties ... Varies. Depends on the turn and road. Anywhere from 2nd to 5th really. I prefer higher RPM's if I'm in a twisty section, faster responce if I need to roll on, good engine braking if I'm coming up to a curve. But, it's all variable, never staying in one gear or RPM range. I try to work the bike for the conditions, turns, and the ride I want to do that day.

I have never tried to find 6th on my ST1100 .... although there have been times I have forgotten to go to 5th while on the slab. Bike is so damn smooth ... :)

Marshal_Mercer

Bumbleberry + Crumble = Yum!
Bike
Has new home
STOC #
DocNeal said:
I was wondering if you more experienced riders could give me advice as to your prefered cruising RPM? When you are on the highway cruising at say 70MPH, do you prefer 4th gear at aprox 4K to 4.5K or do you go in 5th gear at 3.5K???
Which is better for your engine life, performance, etc.???

2004 ST1300
3,500 RPM in fifth is 61 mph. A nice, sedate speed with a "quiet" feel. I like to cruise in 5th gear at 4.3K RPM. That's a true 75 mph. Smooth as glass still with great gas mileage.

Marshal

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
I am usually in 5th gear by 40mph indicated. I can always downshift if I need the power.

I have never driven the bike below 5th gear on super slab. At 70mph indicated this bike has plenty of power. If your riding in 4th gear at 70+ your mileage will take a turn for the worse as well, not to mention your not doing your motor any favors either.

I for one do not think that the RPM of the engine matters at all, providing it is not in the red of course.

You must choose the correct gear for every road and traffic condition you are engaging so the bike stays responsive.

If I am doing motorway stuff, then I will be sitting in 5th gear, I will have respect for the fuel consumption, wear and tear on the machine and the heat to be dissipated by the radiator (WOW that is a cool one LOL)

IMO you should not work on RPM for normal riding, you should work on each and every situation you are going through. So, if you are cruising along at 70 MPH, with just a straight line of tarmac in front of you, do you really want to be running in fourth gear with the engine revving at 5,000 RPM for instance, I hope not because your fuel consumption will be high for a start.

However, when you come into a situation or a lower speed limit of say 30 MPH, then you drop the bike into a responsive gear, you must remember that you can accelerate out of danger as well as accelerate into that danger. So if it were me giving advice, stop looking at the REV counter, go with your feelings. If you are in a tight situation, the gear selected should be a low one to give the response. If you are out on an open highway riding at 60 MPH for instance with nothing in front of you, then you should be in 5th gear having regards to bike sympathy. As soon as the road tightens up for a bend or a situation arises, that is when you consider a lower gear.

That is just my dollars worth, but I always think about bike sympathy and the wear and tear on the engine, tyres and fuel consumption. I use the block method of gear changing instead of coming down each gear in sequence, this also reduces wear and tear on the clutch components and also myself.

I have forgotten the last time I looked at the REV counter because I do not ride aggressive any more, but can do if the need arises, but even then, I would not use REV counter, I would go with my feelings, experience and what the bike will actually do for me.
My reply would probably have been almost verbatim to @tricky_micky 's post, cause that's how I ride after 50 years experience.

And yea, can't tell ya the last time I looked at the tach, cause it doesn't matter.

Top Bottom