What tire change equipment to get?

I started changing my own tires last year, and I've never looked back. I also use the "Motion Pro Beadpro Forged Steel Tire Bead Breaker" tire irons and one extra long tire iron. I like it because it is simple, and it takes up virtually no space when I'm done.

As someone said earlier, it is all about technique. If you're getting too physical, you need to step back and go back to the basics.

For balancing, either I don't use anything at all...because it rides smoothly. Or, I use balancing beads.

Chris

Another simple trick to break the bead when your out on the road.....
I normally carry 3 short MP spoons, and one 16 inch curved one. The curved one has one advantage that the spoons don't. Its flat, and one end is almost square. I've found if you insert this end between the tire and the rim and then take an adjustable wrench across the tire iron (in its jaws), and use it like a handle to twist the tire iron , it forces the bead down almost 1/2 inch away from the bead, thus breaking the bead. This works much better than just trying to use the spoon to push the bead away.

Last edited:
Although a tire machine is really nice to have, for us folks who don't go through 3 sets of tires a year , it's a relatively expensive investment, and takes up a lot of space. I change my own tires with just the basics- 3 tire irons ( Harbor Freight), tire lube, Tie-Wraps ( Harbor Freight again), and a Pit Posse tire balancer.

I AM going to try Larry's duct tape idea though!

Using the tie wraps, PR4's almost fell onto the wheel, duct tape will no doubt make it even easier. I did warm the tire out in the sun before pushing it on.

I use this one and I set it on a Rockwell Jaw Horse so I don't have to be on the ground.

Keep an eye on your local Craigslist. They pop up there fairly often. If you see one you are interested in do a little research on it. There are a lot of Rube Goldberg tire changers out there. I bought a Coats 220 fairly cheap off of CL. Until you find one tire spoons will work.

Horrible Freight changer with a No-Mar bar. Used to use tire irons but a bad day made me scratch my rims with them.

I just change my rear tire myself on my ST1100. You can follow that adventure, on page seven of this tread.

It was the first time I was doing it. I wanted to give it a try. That is something that some guys are doing themself, and I wanted to learn how to do it.
I bought two tire irons, and rim protectors. I think, maybe I should have bought the longuer tire iron. I think mine are 16 inches.
Anyway, at some point, I was ready to give up, and @Sheriff41 sent me a link, toward a youtube video (see below), where a guy uses long cable ties. I tried it. A pack of 10 long 20 inches cable ties only costed me a few dollars. And it worked.
I'm also thinking about buying a small, around $100 - 140, tire changer, for next time. And in a couple years, I will be showing my grand childrens how grandpa is doing it.
ChriSTian.

IIRC you changed some really old tires. Your next change should be much easier.

Back
Top Bottom