What to look out for on a 2007 V-Strom 1000

I am looking at a V-Strom tomorrow that I may purchase and was wondering if any members know of any known problems with this bike. It has 38,000 miles.
Any help is appreciated.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
The larger V-Strom's had a tendency to run really lean from the factory.
Pull a plug and check to see if its porcelain white, or light tan.
Also listen for backfiring with your slowing or shifting down.
Of the two or three that I've had my hands on, the only issues were usually owner caused by trying to install power commanders, or running K&N air filters etc.

Bike
R1200rt
I am looking at a V-Strom tomorrow that I may purchase and was wondering if any members know of any known problems with this bike. It has 38,000 miles.
Any help is appreciated.
I was looking for one but was told dl1000 have their problems. The main thing that turned me off was the poor gas mileage. They have a hard time getting out of the 30's..07 had some low speed stumble that can be helped with a throttle tamer. I think in 08 all the ecm improvements were done. I would research the 07 a bit more but I have seen newer ones for sale at reasonable prices. This is what was said on the Adventure Rider site where you will find more info.
2007 and up went to 2 plugs/cyl and ECM programming that robbed the engine of HP. That was corrected in 2008. 2007+ need a box to connect to the bike to set idle and TBS, I believe (and I'm sure I'll be corrected).

Also, 2008+ upped the stator output to 400w, from 375 previously. And they also have approx 1.5" longer wheel base to accomodate the ABS option.

Last edited:

TPadden

Tom Padden
Famous for cam chain tensioner failing; noisey then hand grenading the engine between 40 and 60K miles. Solution was to replace the oil pressure tensioner unit with a manually adjusted one, or if chain is stretched more difficult fix of replacing the cam chain and guide. Of the 2 in this photo on Alaska Trip, mine (silver one) is the one that didn't fail. If it's not noisy, not a problem :thumb:. Great bike.

Tom

Last edited:

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
A most common problem is with the clutch baskets that get loose and cause a shuddering with the clutch. Later models have this fixed. Overall they are pretty good bikes.

TPadden

Tom Padden
A most common problem is with the clutch baskets that get loose and cause a shuddering with the clutch. Later models have this fixed. Overall they are pretty good bikes.
Yep, if it chatters in neutral at idle but goes away when you pull in the clutch, not really a problem, the baskets are noisy but it won't cause a problem mechanically. If the noise doesn't go away at idle when you pull in the clutch but does when you accelerate the engine THAT will cause a problem when the cam chain jumps cam teeth :oops:.

My memory could be faulty but best bet is to ask or check with someone if it just doesn't sound right. Though my Triumph Explorer 1200 has always sounded like a bucket of bolts in a diesel rattling around at idle - but it's never caused a problem. ;)

Tom

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
The alternator is a bit small compared to an ST's. One guy on stormtrooper.com added an external alternator. Heck of a job, but he was obviously a very skilled machinist. An aftermarket vendor claims his clutch basket mod solves the problem - but, iirc, it cost several hundred $$.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Most folks who owned the bigger Strom, traded them in on the smaller one a year later :rolleyes:

Bike
ST 1300
As a previous owner things I would look out for Clutch basket chudder - poor design by Suzuki with inherent problems. Damaged oil cooler - in a vulnerable position. Front spark plug is often neglected as it is difficult to get to.

OP
OP
TwoDogs
Thanks to all that replied. We purchased it, a great looking and well cared for bike.
It will be my nephew's new ride, he is moving up from a much older BMW F650. He does not do much on the dirt with the ADV bike ( he has a true diet bike for that) so the V Strom should serve him well.

Top Bottom