Whatcha readin'?

randalicious

Seasoned M/C Rider
Bike
'07 ST1300
Just finished, Resurrection Walk, by Michael Connelly. If you've been hooked on his Bosch and Lincoln Lawyer book series, this one won't be much different, but it did hold my interest.
It all looks hopeless until it's not. :shrug2:

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Just finished, Resurrection Walk, by Michael Connelly. If you've been hooked on his Bosch and Lincoln Lawyer book series, this one won't be much different, but it did hold my interest.
It's on my bookshelf . . . waiting its turn. Thanks for the :thumb:

Shuey

STOC #
I grabbed this over the weekend, good read. Thank you.
That looks good I’ll put it on my list. I just finished Stephen King’s Holly. I’m a constant reader of his, having reread many. I just started Jonathan Kellerman’s City of the Dead, part of his Alex Delaware series. Good murder mystery series.
Thank goodness for books :)

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I just finished The Drop. I was pleasantly surprised. I don't consider Connelly a particularly accomplished author nor is his Bosch character all that likable and god knows I've tried. The Drop was far more entertaining that previous Bosch novels. Connelly just keep churning stuff out and it tends to be more of the same every time. That's not a bad thing — if the writing were better.

He seems to go out of his way to make Harry a jerk much of the time. It's great that he's got some kind of handler for the TV series be it the show runner or director. The Bosch and Legacy series are so much better than the books. Obviously Connelly has a huge say in what's what but it's clear he doesn't have the only say.

So I think I'll try The Martian and maybe read Dune again. I like a lot of Asimov but Dune (and only that bit of the franchise) was amazing.

Last edited:

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
I have this in soft back, will pass it to someone if they promise to pass it to someone else when they are finished, it’s a quick read.

PM with your address and I’ll get it to you.

1711212736163.jpeg

OP
OP
Tor

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
Just got done with it. Good stuff.

Bike
82 VF750S Sabre
Without having looked at the entire thread to see if anyone else has mentioned these,

Neither Wolf Nor Dog by Kent Nerburn and two following books The Wolf At Twighlight and The Girl Who Sang to the Buffalo.

Nerburn is of European descent, worked with the Ojibwa of Minnesota and helped then to tell their stories in a series of short stories published as a book. A Lakota Elder reads this book and asks Nerburn to write his and Lakota history. The elder is not satisfied with the first go and takes Nerbrun on a trip in the Dakotas and Wyoming. The 3 books are that story and then the other two books relate 2 other interactions with the elder and the elder's friends and family. These books are easy to read, but difficult to read, digest and reconcile. They are the Lakota's point of view of how they were and are treated by the culture that pushed them aside and onto smaller and smaller areas of their traditional areas when whites pushed into those areas.

Fiction: Wolf Kill by Cary J. Griffith. A US Fish and Wildlife agent returns to his youth's hometown to retrieve items he left behind when he left under the threat of an attempted murder charge (of his abusive father). A good murder mystery book.

Neal

Bike
2010 ST1300
The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors by James D Hornfischer. Great book about the naval battle off Leyte and Samar Islands in the Philippines during WWII. It's a non fiction book that reads like a thriller. I'm crying for our guys one minute and shouting for them the next. This has been a 'can't put it down' book for me.

P.T. Deutermann, a retired battleship captain has written a number of fiction stories that closely follow battles in WWII. I cannot recommend his books highly enough. He also posts a bibliography in many of his books that will lead you to classic non fiction books about the Great War.

Bike
2009 ST1300
It's an old story but a good one. It comes to mind having just watched Easy Rider [again] the night before about a world where everything was wide open. Coincidentally, the PO or OO put the iconic image of Che G on the ST that I bought but it is a strange coincidence, and was not revealed to me until I recieved the bike delivered by the PO on my 60th birthday, sight unseen, on a blue moon. For all the glossy pics which sealed my fate and destined me to prepay [overpay] / buy over the phone the bike, the imprint was explained as thus: "well, I didin't want to show you the imprint, in case it made you change your mind..." The irony of the situation was, my password for the PO to be able to collect his email depost was...
"Kruschev called him the most complete man that he had ever met"
Then I thought, no, he's gonna think I'm too weird and just bring it to the dealership.
While I respect and appreciate the variety of reactions that the iconic image of the baretted Che brings, my opinion is probably very different having studied all of the prominent figures of the last thousand years or so; just another man that ran his course.
However, the book is a great read of a couple of guys that experienced self actualization when all of that was possible; for better or worse, their ideas, conceived friends and enemies so and so on.
Sadly, the good doctor eventually sinks to murderous means before he gets whacked in Bolivia trying to stir up more stuff.
The real story of the book is between the lines where a guy on an island plays both ends against the middle and provides a little bit of infrastructure by way of roads and schools and hospitals for a population.
Probably never happen again.

Attachments

For the past couple of months, I've been starting my mornings with a cup of coffee and the latest edition of azcentral on my terrace. There's something about the tranquil ambiance and the crisp morning air that makes it the perfect setting to catch up on the news. While I don't read every section of the newspaper, I enjoy browsing through the parts that pique my interest, whether it's local news, sports updates, or thought-provoking editorials. It's become a cherished part of my morning routine, setting the tone for the day ahead.

Last edited:
Top Bottom