Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Great thread idea! Thanks Tor!

Half way through Grisham's The Exchange and enjoying it. It's a sequel to Grisham's second book, The Firm. Enjoying the continued development of these characters and what happened next after the end of The Firm. I have all of his books to date and found the last few weak, but The Exchange has him back on track.

My next favorite author is C. J. Box and his Joe Pickett the Wyoming game warden books. Clever plots. I have all 23 of the books to date in this series.

Also have enjoy all of Baldacci's book so far: Decker, Pine, Robie, Archer and now Devine characters. For legal thrillers I also think Michael Connelly's Lincoln Lawyer books are good reads.

I'm mostly an escapist reader and like thrillers, my favorites being Lee Child's Jack Reacher and recently discovered Jack Carr and his James Reece hero. Equally exciting are Stephen Hunter's series about Bob Lee Swagger (the movie Shooter is based on one of his books). Those interested in this genre might want to check out Mark Greaney's Gray Man series, David Hagber's Kirk McGarvey books and Nick Petrie's Peter Ash books. Lastly and one of my favorites in this genre is Brad Thor's Scot Horvath books.

For current day western drama, Craig Johnson's Longmire series about a western small town Sheriff is tuff to beat.

For lighter fare I like most of the Clive Cussler books. Easy to read and most of them start off with a historical base then expand to the present day. Fun.

Science Fiction? Andy Weir's The Martian . . . great read, better than the movie which was very good. Suzanne Palmer's Finder series for fun light reading.

Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Almost forgot the most exciting book I've read lately . . . Going Zero by Anthony McCarten.

10 people are selected to participate in a joint government test of a companies claim that harvesting all available tech input, public and private cameras, cell phones, satellites . . . everything. The claim is anyone can be found. The 10 people selected are given 2 weeks to prepare and then must "disappear." Those that can't be found win $1 million. Fascinating and scary as to where the technology might take us (or maybe has somewhat already)!

Shuey

Bike
2010 ST1300
@Shuey and I have similar taste. I've left off the non fiction stuff I read, but here is my 'recommended reading list for those of you who like thrillers and mysteries.

I've read just about every book by these authors (and Parker's Spencer books three or more times). I have also found that once someone hits it big with a few best sellers, they tend to get sloppy in their craft. Lee Child has stopped writing (mostly) and collaborates with his brother, who does the writing. Reacher has suffered for that. C.J. Box is getting thin on plot lines, and I could go on, but generally speaking, the early books by an author are best. These are mostly available at libraries. I did not list the early greats, or the cowboy books (Louis L'Amour), or Doc Savage.

I like to look up an author’s list of books and read them in the order in which he wrote them. This makes it easy to see how the characters evolve and how individual writers keep coming up with interesting plots (or not!). I also enjoy the casual mention of past plot lines and characters.

Lists of authors books are available on Wikipedia or with a google search.

Bold are good, * are better

A.J. Tata – have not read his books, just stumbled across the name.

* Ace Atkins - I just started reading his books, they are very good. He writes some of the Robert B. Parker's books.

* Brown, Dale – Good author, has written a LOT of books but his themes seem to be US vs Russia. Patrick McLanahan books are v. good. Start w/ Flight of Old Dog.

Baldacci, David –
Has a whole stable of characters and a number of series with only a few books. I think he is a so so to lousy writer, but his plots are interesting and some of the mini series are very good. I enjoyed the Camel Club, Will Robie & Jessica Reel, King & Maxwell, John Puller & Amos Decker series.

** Child, Lee (real name, Jim Grant) – Not much to say about Jacques Reacher, but the series is hard to maintain and I think the newer plots are bad. Lee has made his millions and is passing the torch to his brother, who is working hard to put it out.

* C.J. Box – J
oe Pickett novels – pretty good. Joe is a Montana game warden and he ends up investigating some pretty far fetched crimes. His buddy, Nate is an ex special forces type who carries a Casull .454 (if you are not into guns, this is considered to be a ‘hand cannon’).
Box’s Cassie Dewell novels are not so good

Cameron, Marc –
Jericho Quinn novels – I’ve read one, and it was awful.
Arliss Cutter series – not bad. Arliss is a US Marshal in Alaska. The writing is quaint. Cameron is not a great author.

Carson, Jeff –
David Wolf novels – writing is awful

* Connelly, Michael –
Harry Bosch novels – Harry is an LA cop. I enjoyed all of this series. Connelly is a good writer. His Jack McEvoy series is short and good, the Mickey Haller series (Lincoln Lawyer) has been made into a TV series – also good. Terry McCaleb series is ok. Renee Ballard books – are so so. Connelly mixes his characters up in his books and this makes it hard to categorize one as a Bosch or Haller series (they are half brothers).

* Connolly, John –
Charlie Parker series – he is an ex cop with a couple of thugs as friends who supply the muscle. Good author but very convoluted plots that really stretch the imagination. Hard to give an author ½ of a star…. Connolly tries to write a noir novel like Dashell Hammett, but fails. I think he is uneven, and tries to make up for a good story w/ a complex plot and too many words.

* Crais, Robert –
Elvis Cole and Joe Pike – Elvis is the investigator and Pike is the…well if you know what kind of weapon a medieval pike was… heavy. Very good series, I enjoyed the books

*** Deuterman, P.T. –
I love his novels. Cam Richter series is v. good, Lot of WWII sea stories involving real ships and real incidents. HIs ‘thrillers’ books are also very good. Excellent writer. PT was a Destroyer captain in the Navy for 16 years. Deuterman's bibliographies in some of his war/sea stories have led me to great books about WWII - non fiction!

** Gilstrap, John –
Jonathan Grave series – another very good writer. Grave is a swat type, who pulls off rescues with his buddy Boxer (a giant of a guy) that would make Reacher envious. I’ve read all of Gilstrap’s books and enjoyed them all.

Grant, Andrew –
Lee Child’s brother. Fortunately, he uses a pseudonym so he does not sully the Child name. Truly an awful writer. He is now co-authoring with his brother and Lee and Andrew have come up with some very bad plots and writing. Grant’s wife is also an author trying to write Victorian novels. I found them wanting (this is a classic British understatement).

*** Greaney Mark –
the Gray Man/Court Gentry series. One of my favorite authors. Good plots, exciting, violent when needed, Court could teach Reacher a lot. Talk about pulling off miracle after miracle.

* Lee, Patrick –
Dryden & Chase good books w/ science fiction thrown in.

** Leon, Donna -
She writes about Guido Brunetti, an inspector in Venice Italy. Great local flavor. Wonderful writer. I’ve read them all and look forward to her new books. Sadly, as with many writers, her later books plots are not as good or believable as the earlier ones. Leon's strength is giving the reader a feel for life in Venice, Italy.

Lindsay, Jeff -
Riley Wolf series – Wolf is a thief who never fails to achieve his goal, and also is sort of a Robin Hood type. Only 3 books in this mini-series. Lindsay’s Dexter series is v. strange and not for the faint of heart. Weird but interesting. Strong stomachs advised.

*** McDonald, Ross –
Another of the classic writers.

** McMurtry, Larry –
Not the same kind of writer as above names, but excellent.

**** Parker, Robert B –
He has published more novels after his death than before. I loved his Spenser series – and read the whole batch several times. His newer books and other series (Jessie Stone, Virgil Cole/ Everette Hitch, Sonny Randall) are also v. good. Robt. B. had a PhD. in literature, and was a writer’s writer. What is interesting is that Robert B has published more books since he died than while he was alive. (Ok, his son's have allowed some other well known authors to write under Robert B's name.

*** Petrie, Nick –
My newest favorite author with Peter Ash as an ex army type (shades of Jack Reacher), his girlfriend June, and buddy (former criminal) Lewis

** Silva, Daniel -
His character, Gabriel Allon is an art restoration expert and ex Mossad field man. Excellent writer, involved plots, lots of action.

*** Stout, Rex –
Nero Wolfe books – paperback. Nothing more needs to be said.

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Great list SMSW. You listed a few more of my favorites and . . . several that I hadn't heard of. Always looking for new authors, thanks.
Shuey

PS: I enjoyed Donna Leon's 'Guido' in the first book (. . . La Fenice) and liked the second book ok (. . . Strange Country) but decided that was enough and let it go.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
For current day western drama, Craig Johnson's Longmire series about a western small town Sheriff is tuff to beat.
Not questioning or criticizing this choice, as I've not read the books (plus of course, taste is subjective and personal. There IS no "right" or wrong" here.) but after a few seasons of the TV adaptation I gave up, because of the too-frequent willingness of the main character to fall into vigilante-style actions and the apparent lack of consequences for having done so.

That said, I did like the characters and several of the plots, in particular those that took multiple episodes to play out.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Although not even close to having finished Sherman's Memoirs, I've started in on Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson. It details the finding and identification by some dedicated and capable amateur wreck divers, of a WWII U-boat 60 miles off New Jersey in over 200 feet of water. Until it was found, nobody had a clue there had been a U-boat lost in the area.

Although not even close to having finished Sherman's Memoirs, I've started in on Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson. It details the finding and identification by some dedicated and capable amateur wreck divers, of a WWII U-boat 60 miles off New Jersey in over 200 feet of water. Until it was found, nobody had a clue there had been a U-boat lost in the area.
No way, dude! This book about wreck divers finding a lost WWII U-boat sounds epic! Who knew there was a hidden submarine chilling off the coast of New Jersey? Mind-blowing stuff!!!

Don't read novels much anymore. Accessory to War the latest. Niel Tyson. Read everything by Lois LaAmore once upon a time. Gave the collection to the library. Mostly just physics, cosmology articles.

Odie1

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST1100
STOC #
American Prometheus.. J. Robert Oppenheimer.

Supposedly what the movie was based on, or inspired by? Don't know - have not seen the movie.

He was certainly a 'different' type of fellow.

Odie1

ardykay54

Russ "NeonMan" Knock
Bike
22 Kaw Z900rs 50 ann
2024 Miles
STOC #
Reading Doc Savage- The Polar Treasure-by Kenneth Robeson-Something I first read in high school-I'm a slow reader! :biggrin: Russ.

randalicious

Seasoned M/C Rider
Bike
'07 ST1300
I'm working through North Woods, by Daniel Mason. Interesting stories and an interesting style of composition. Reflects "the way things used to be."
But, just yesterday, I acquired The Terminal List, by Jack Carr, from my local library. Just read the Preface and the Prologue and it looks like it will be a real page-turner.
I have to recommend, How the Irish Saved Civilization, by Thomas Cahill. It's history like I've never seen it before.
Reading Doc Savage- The Polar Treasure-by Kenneth Robeson-Something I first read in high school-I'm a slow reader! :biggrin: Russ.

randalicious

Seasoned M/C Rider
Bike
'07 ST1300
I'm a slow reader! :biggrin: Russ.
Clearly, I also don't know how the Reply button works. <e.g., my previous Reply>
But, I wanted to show you some support in that I'm a slow reader, too. I'm slow, mainly because I have to stop reading and watch TV when my lips get tired. :)

Bike
2007 ST1300
Wow... You guys read real books... Now I feel like a bit more of a weirdo.

I read a few serious books during a year but mostly I read simple stuff to relax my mind so I can go to sleep faster and sleep better.
I'm currently reading the Harry Potter series and am on Book 5, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

The last serious book I read (I finished it around last Thanksgiving) was Ghost Rider by Neil Peart. I've read Masked Rider and Traveling Music by him also.

My youngest is 17 so over the last several years I've read the same books as he's had to for school just in case he needed help. I had forgotten just how difficult it was to get through Uncle Tom's Cabin...

OP
OP
Tor

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
@Shuey and I have similar taste. I've left off the non fiction stuff I read, but here is my 'recommended reading list for those of you who like thrillers and mysteries.

I've read just about every book by these authors (and Parker's Spencer books three or more times). I have also found that once someone hits it big with a few best sellers, they tend to get sloppy in their craft. Lee Child has stopped writing (mostly) and collaborates with his brother, who does the writing. Reacher has suffered for that. C.J. Box is getting thin on plot lines, and I could go on, but generally speaking, the early books by an author are best. These are mostly available at libraries. I did not list the early greats, or the cowboy books (Louis L'Amour), or Doc Savage.

I like to look up an author’s list of books and read them in the order in which he wrote them. This makes it easy to see how the characters evolve and how individual writers keep coming up with interesting plots (or not!). I also enjoy the casual mention of past plot lines and characters.

Lists of authors books are available on Wikipedia or with a google search.

Bold are good, * are better

A.J. Tata – have not read his books, just stumbled across the name.

* Ace Atkins - I just started reading his books, they are very good. He writes some of the Robert B. Parker's books.

* Brown, Dale – Good author, has written a LOT of books but his themes seem to be US vs Russia. Patrick McLanahan books are v. good. Start w/ Flight of Old Dog.

Baldacci, David – Has a whole stable of characters and a number of series with only a few books. I think he is a so so to lousy writer, but his plots are interesting and some of the mini series are very good. I enjoyed the Camel Club, Will Robie & Jessica Reel, King & Maxwell, John Puller & Amos Decker series.

** Child, Lee (real name, Jim Grant) – Not much to say about Jacques Reacher, but the series is hard to maintain and I think the newer plots are bad. Lee has made his millions and is passing the torch to his brother, who is working hard to put it out.

* C.J. Box – J
oe Pickett novels – pretty good. Joe is a Montana game warden and he ends up investigating some pretty far fetched crimes. His buddy, Nate is an ex special forces type who carries a Casull .454 (if you are not into guns, this is considered to be a ‘hand cannon’).
Box’s Cassie Dewell novels are not so good

Cameron, Marc – Jericho Quinn novels – I’ve read one, and it was awful.
Arliss Cutter series – not bad. Arliss is a US Marshal in Alaska. The writing is quaint. Cameron is not a great author.

Carson, Jeff – David Wolf novels – writing is awful

* Connelly, Michael – Harry Bosch novels – Harry is an LA cop. I enjoyed all of this series. Connelly is a good writer. His Jack McEvoy series is short and good, the Mickey Haller series (Lincoln Lawyer) has been made into a TV series – also good. Terry McCaleb series is ok. Renee Ballard books – are so so. Connelly mixes his characters up in his books and this makes it hard to categorize one as a Bosch or Haller series (they are half brothers).

* Connolly, John –
Charlie Parker series – he is an ex cop with a couple of thugs as friends who supply the muscle. Good author but very convoluted plots that really stretch the imagination. Hard to give an author ½ of a star…. Connolly tries to write a noir novel like Dashell Hammett, but fails. I think he is uneven, and tries to make up for a good story w/ a complex plot and too many words.

* Crais, Robert – Elvis Cole and Joe Pike – Elvis is the investigator and Pike is the…well if you know what kind of weapon a medieval pike was… heavy. Very good series, I enjoyed the books

*** Deuterman, P.T. – I love his novels. Cam Richter series is v. good, Lot of WWII sea stories involving real ships and real incidents. HIs ‘thrillers’ books are also very good. Excellent writer. PT was a Destroyer captain in the Navy for 16 years. Deuterman's bibliographies in some of his war/sea stories have led me to great books about WWII - non fiction!

** Gilstrap, John – Jonathan Grave series – another very good writer. Grave is a swat type, who pulls off rescues with his buddy Boxer (a giant of a guy) that would make Reacher envious. I’ve read all of Gilstrap’s books and enjoyed them all.

Grant, Andrew – Lee Child’s brother. Fortunately, he uses a pseudonym so he does not sully the Child name. Truly an awful writer. He is now co-authoring with his brother and Lee and Andrew have come up with some very bad plots and writing. Grant’s wife is also an author trying to write Victorian novels. I found them wanting (this is a classic British understatement).

*** Greaney Mark – the Gray Man/Court Gentry series. One of my favorite authors. Good plots, exciting, violent when needed, Court could teach Reacher a lot. Talk about pulling off miracle after miracle.

* Lee, Patrick – Dryden & Chase good books w/ science fiction thrown in.

** Leon, Donna - She writes about Guido Brunetti, an inspector in Venice Italy. Great local flavor. Wonderful writer. I’ve read them all and look forward to her new books. Sadly, as with many writers, her later books plots are not as good or believable as the earlier ones. Leon's strength is giving the reader a feel for life in Venice, Italy.

Lindsay, Jeff - Riley Wolf series – Wolf is a thief who never fails to achieve his goal, and also is sort of a Robin Hood type. Only 3 books in this mini-series. Lindsay’s Dexter series is v. strange and not for the faint of heart. Weird but interesting. Strong stomachs advised.

*** McDonald, Ross – Another of the classic writers.

** McMurtry, Larry – Not the same kind of writer as above names, but excellent.

**** Parker, Robert B – He has published more novels after his death than before. I loved his Spenser series – and read the whole batch several times. His newer books and other series (Jessie Stone, Virgil Cole/ Everette Hitch, Sonny Randall) are also v. good. Robt. B. had a PhD. in literature, and was a writer’s writer. What is interesting is that Robert B has published more books since he died than while he was alive. (Ok, his son's have allowed some other well known authors to write under Robert B's name.

*** Petrie, Nick – My newest favorite author with Peter Ash as an ex army type (shades of Jack Reacher), his girlfriend June, and buddy (former criminal) Lewis

** Silva, Daniel - His character, Gabriel Allon is an art restoration expert and ex Mossad field man. Excellent writer, involved plots, lots of action.

*** Stout, Rex – Nero Wolfe books – paperback. Nothing more needs to be said.
Also a fan of John Connelly & David Baldacci (specially the Aloysius Archer, Amos Decker and Atlee Pine series)

OP
OP
Tor

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
I've also been known to pick up books by William Faulkner, Kristin Hanna, Walter Isaacson, and yes,,, Stephen King.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
And now, as I continue to plow and wade my way through Sherman's Memoirs, I am finding it useful to return to Shelby Foote's The Civil War. With that masterpiece on the table next to me, I can move between Sherman's detailed, tightly-focused accounts (including copies of reports, dispatches, memoranda, and letters to various persons, on a variety of subjects) and Foote's broadly-inclusive narrative (plus maps of engagements and troop movements) for context.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Wow... You guys read real books... Now I feel like a bit more of a weirdo.
Doesn't matter what you read, its all a personal choice, just like choosing a bike to ride. Ghost Rider was quite a book. I wish I felt comfortable enough to go off on a bike like he did - into some very real rural areas. On the other hand, he was, to a certain extent, healing himself, just like Cheryl Strayed when she did the Pacific Coast Trail.

Top Bottom