What's with the heat?

Bike
2007 ST1300
I took delivery on my 2007 ST1300A today...my crotch was cookin' in two blocks....I thought Honda fixed this problem on the new models...confused: . I pretty much like the rest of the bike. But, this is going to be totally bogus come summer. Is there a fix for this?: :coolit:

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Welcome to the site and congrats on your new ride!! I suggest you do a search on the forum as there are many posts on heat. Honda has not completly extinguished the problem. Proper riding gear (e.g. boots, good riding pants) can help a lot. I never even notice it any more.

Enjoy your ride!!

John

Phartz

Pat Thompson
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
:D Boy, I couldn't stop the tank slapper long enough to worry about the heat!! :D

:hotpepper :bannana :hotpepper :bannana :hotpepper :bannana :hotpepper :bannana :hotpepper :bannana :hotpepper :bannana :hotpepper :bannana :hotpepper :bannana :hotpepper :bannana :hotpepper :bannana

Bike
still deciding
STOC #
I would pull the seat up and look to see if something is wrong. It's possible some seal is missing or misaligned. I'm speaking of the seals that block air flow around the fairings. No changes of any consequence have ever been made to the ST1300 for heat. Some shields were added to the lower fairing, but I doubt they help much.

I wear jeans often and never notice heat in the crotch area, but do feel some heat around the legs when temps start to climb above 80. I have never felt discomfort from the heat even at temps up to 114. Riding pants are a good idea for safety, but shouldn't be necessary for heat. Unless you're one of those who seem to be excessively sensitive to temperature. In which case you might have bought the wrong bike.

Phil

Imrubicon

Wannabe Squid
STOC #
for those that cant take the heat .you can add a ittle foam that blocks the air flow at the front of the seat when its set higher and those that seem to wrap the headers feell little heat .
Course I would miss some of that in winter LOL .
most notice it very little while some its a deal breaker

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
My guess if this guy can't tell his crotch from his ankles he's a troll.

STOC #
Trust me, it only happens to 07s. I suggest you drop it by my house where you can exchange it for a very cool 06.

"The more things change, the more they stay the same."

You could trade it for an 05, but they've all melted by now.

You WILL get used to it. Go faster.

Raven

"two wrecks" - RIP ACL
Bike
Aprilia Caponord
STOC #
a number of folks have found that jet coating the exhaust is helpful

definitely a +1 on checking to be sure all the gaskets are in place and make sure the seat is seated properly (no pun intended)

fortunately my '06 doesn't seem to have any heat problems (probably because it's so fast)
:D

I'm picking up my 07 tomorrow afternoon. I'm already hot, starting to sweat. Planning on riding home in shorts and flip flops since it might be 40 degrees by early afternoon tomorrow. If it becomes too unbearable I'm going to drive it right into one of the snowbanks lining the road.

My serious plan if I think it is too hot is, in this order seeing if I'm happy before the next step, wrap the headers, puncture the inner cowls, reflective insulation stuff, fairing deflectors, cover various and sundry holes on the nether regions.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I took delivery on my 2007 ST1300A today...my crotch was cookin' in two blocks....I thought Honda fixed this problem on the new models...confused: . I pretty much like the rest of the bike. But, this is going to be totally bogus come summer. Is there a fix for this?: :coolit:
This is a common problem if the seat is not set up against the tank properly.

If you can stick your finger between the tank seal and tank without having to push the seal out of the way the seat is not installed properly.

Check the owner's manual to see how to install it correctly.

Welcome to the club and don't take the offhand comments of some of these old timers to heart they're just touchy about anybody making derogatory comments about their pride and joy.

There are methods to help with the issues concerning heat, do a search and you'll find lots of tips.

Gordon

Nah...everyone has their own issues with their own ride. If someone has an issue with heat on the ST, then so be it. Personally, I don't...have never felt it and I have 14k on the bike now. I have had other issues with it but not heat.

Of the heat complaints though, by far they are on the legs. Second, this guy has one post. One. Not one hi hello how are you. First place he goes is the known issues section and posts on a 'heat' problem.

Sorry, call me skeptical, not buying that it's legit.
+1 on that. It's February & we'er talking heat problems already..ugh. New post please:biker:

There is a thin film aluminum product used for insulation, it
reflects 97% of radiant heat back in the opposite direction.
It may be called reflectech....has anyone tried this yet...
It may be sold on big roles at Home Depot

It is an amazing product and may be just the right thing for
under the seat....

Be Safe

I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant

I have 8000 miles on my 06, and I have had heat problems in the crotch area since day one, so don't trash the guy...(my ankles and shins are fine).

I find the heat is an air blast coming out the side by the valve covers and blasting over my knees into my crotch. The bottom half of my gas tank is consistanly hotter from the wind blast than the top of my BLACK tank sitting in full sun.

The higher the windscreen, the higher the heat wraps up, speeds around 55-60 indicated with shield up seem to be the worst, faster speed with shield lower redirects the heat back instead of up.

Installing a mylar/fiberglass/aluminum blanket running under the tank and seat had very little positive affect.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Try the fairing wind deflectors they throw the heat from the heads away from the bike. :03biker: When its over 90 I feel heat otherwise no problem.

The ST1300 has 2 fuel tanks, the upper tank (which is the one with the filler cap) empties first and gets hotter as the fuel is used. The remainder of the fuel load is carried under the seat. Try topping up the tank more often.When the top tank is nearing empty, I do feel heat in my upper legs and crotch area, but who cares ?

Hotgazza, Brisbane, Australia

I took my bike for its first ride in 2 weeks to test its new Farkles. Spencer seat mod, MCL bar risers and peg lowerers. I bought this bike the first of November, and this is the first "warm" day it has been on a ride. Warm being a relative term here. Indicated air temp was between 75* - 81*. Above normal temps for this time of year, but way below the normal summer temps of of 90* - 110*. I have a 32" inseam, and ride with the seat at its highest position.
It got a little warm around the tank. Actually, the gap between the tank and the seat. I found that if the windscreen was raised to about 1/2 way or higher, the heat just billowed out. As long as the WS was low, the heat wasn't an issue. It seems that low pressure behind the screen is sucking the heat right up around the tank.
I normally ride with the shield up, as I am 6' 2", and the helmet gets noisey in the air stream.
I have a Clearview with centervent on the way. Hopefully, that will help the issue. Tomorrow I am off to the hardware store to find some thick weather stripping that I can attach to the front of the seat and alleviate the problem

Top Bottom