Wheel chock

JMP

Has anyone had experience with the lock-n-load wheel chock or the Condor?

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Sorry, haven't used the Condor but do own both the HF ones.

Big HD model is bolted to plywood, stays in garage and is my daily parking spot unless I need to unbolt it and put mount on the trailer. On the trailer the chock really only hold the bike while I strap it down. I don't rely on the chock to provide holding power once the trailer is moving. it's strapped in solid. The chock is still there but the straps are really holding the bike.

Smaller model of HF chock is bolted on the lift table. Works fine for what it is.

You get what ya pay for, but sometimes you find a deal or sometimes it's just more then you need.

Last edited:

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I leave the large Harbor Freight chock mounted on my trailer. Just ride the bike into the chock, and get off the bike and strap it down. The bike doesn’t move, once in the chock.

John

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
We've been using the Condor for several years. I mount mine to the bed of the pickup with the quick disconnect mount. Works great, adjusts for everything from sportbikes to my KLR (17" and 21" front wheels, respectively.)

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
Haven't used the Condor. The quick release is nice if you need to pull it off though. I also use the Harbor Freight chock on my trailer and table lift. For the price, it can not be beat. For the amount of times I trailer a bike, I could not justify the price of the Condor. I use the self standing HF chock in my Toy Hauler. It get's used all the time with my Duel Sport bike. It works great. It works just like the Condor at 3/4 the price. I want function, not how good it looks.

OP
OP

JMP

Thanks for all the replies. Has anyone tried or seen the lock-n-load chock?
I like the idea of securing the wheel as opposed to pulling down on the suspension

st1300doug

I bought a Baxley 15 yrs. ago. Best HD Chalk ever. When the Rep. parked a full-dressed Goldwing in it, got off, and shoved it side-to-side. It was locked in like a rock. Used it many, many, time to tow my T1300.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I like the idea of securing the wheel as opposed to pulling down on the suspension

Wow never seen strapping the front wheel like that before. Kinda scary looking.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I tie my wheel into the chock with the tail ends of the straps, but it's secondary holding, not a primary. I also bolt my chock straight onto the metal frame of the trailer, not into the decking.

The way they are doing it. Nope, not for me.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Actually, pulling down on the suspension is the right way to go. Otherwise, the bike will be bouncing around like a jackrabbit and that could do a fair bit of damage to the forks and wheels. The role of the wheel chock is to simply keep the bike from rolling around and hold it vertical while you strap it down by compressing the suspension.

If you compress the suspension, the side loads are not on the wheel (motorcycle wheels do NOT resist side loads like car wheels do) but rather, they are on the straps and then the triple tree and rear shock mounts or engine guards or whatever points you have used to lash the bike on.

if you look at the physics of how two-wheeled vehicles work, the only loads on the wheels are radial (in the direction from the centre of the wheel to the tire contact patch) from the weight of the bike and when it is banked over in a corner, and tangential (as in the forces that drive the bike forward or provide the braking effect). There should be little if any side loads on a motorcycle wheel.

Last edited:
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
I have two condor wheel chocks in my trailer. I would never buy another brand these are by far the best that I have used. This is the model I use and it has a plate that anchors it to the trailer floor and allows the chock to be removed with one screw. CONDOR PS-1500 Pit Trailer-Stop. Using this wheel chock in a trailer you will only need to tie down the rear of the bike. The bike is locked in place when in the wheel chock. I use two straps one on each side of the bike and have them positioned so that the straps pull the bike into the wheel chock. I have used this method for thousands of miles without issue.

Top Bottom