When CANADA got some Green ones

DaveWooster

'95 ST1100ALS and '98 Standard ST1100W
Bike
1995 ST1100A
STOC #
I recall that at some point in hiSTory, Canada imported some green ST1100s. Can we collectively piece together the rest of that short STory?

I think there were some standard ST1100s that were built for the Australian market. Their color was something like Tasmanian Green. But they ended up being sold in Canada instead.

- What model year, or model year code, were they?

- About how many of them went to Canada?

- Did any similar STs also go to Australia?

- Do we know of a current owner of one in North America?

- Do we know a sample Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) for one of them?

- Were the VIN stickers, or VIN plates, on them tailored to Australia, or to Canada? (Was the eighth character of their VIN the letter U, or was it the digit 2?)

- Where is there a parts list for them? (Any such list would specify their body parts as being green.)

(As we all know, those bikes were the only new, green or blue ST1100s imported into North America.)

Last edited:
1998 was the model year for the green ST1100. One of our members in Manitoba has one. They came in both Standard and ABSII models.
There was one made famous having achieved over 400k kms. It was owned by a gentleman in London Ontario, his brother now owns it and it’s in a Maritime province if I recall.
The only ABS model I have seen is in Toronto.

Thanks.

Do you remember that member's name?

Has he or she posted here recently?
Yes I do, he hasn’t posted in some time. I will see him the end of next month.
A few years ago there were a lot of the green ones posted for sale on kijiji ( like a Craigs List) the majority of those were in the Province of Quebec.
I just checked kijiji and there’s one for sale with 150k kms in Quebec for $2800 Canadian

Thane Silliker from London Ontario has/had a green one. I never met him but saw his bike at Platinum Powersport near Clinton where he and I use to have our STs serviced. His had over 300,000 km on in 2010 or 11. I remember how the paint had been eroded along the edges of the fairing.

I wonder if the parts lists (such as the ones on cmsnl.com) for 1998 Australian models show green body plastic.

Thane’s a Canadian and STOC legend. Met him at the firST Golden WeSTOC. Funny story about the shop trying to get the stain off his right muffler during a stop on one of his cross-Can trips (think EZ-leaker). :)

His documentation of clutch and oil pump work is in the AOW. Good STuff!

He called his green ST1100 the Green Hornet, IIRC. BTW, the paint code I have for his Tasmanian Green is “G142M.”

John

I recall that at some point in hiSTory, Canada imported some green ST1100s. Can we collectively piece together the rest of that short STory?

I think there were some standard ST1100s that were built for the Australian market. Their color was something like Tasmanian Green. But they ended up being sold in Canada instead.

- What model year, or model year code, were they?

- About how many of them went to Canada?

- Did any similar STs also go to Australia?

- Do we know of a current owner of one in North America?

- Do we know a sample Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) for one of them?

- Were the VIN stickers, or VIN plates, on them tailored to Australia, or to Canada? (Was the eighth character of their VIN the letter U, or was it the digit 2?)

- Where is there a parts list for them? (Any such list would specify their body parts as being green.)

(As we all know, those bikes were the only new, green or blue ST1100s imported into North America.)
I live in Alberta Canada and have a Green ST1100. Bought it last year as a Covid project. 25000kms, all original except for a Corbin seat.

The '98 was Wineberry.
Was it available in both Wineberry and green in Canada in 1998?
I only saw green ones when I was shopping back in 1998. I almost bought a new 1998 ST1100, it was green.
I ended up buying a new 1999 which was Wineberry. So was the new 2000 that I bought.

Was it available in both Wineberry and green in Canada in 1998?
I only saw green ones when I was shopping back in 1998. I almost bought a new 1998 ST1100, it was green.
I ended up buying a new 1999 which was Wineberry. So was the new 2000 that I bought.

Now I'm not sure. Just looking at colours offered in the USA, the '98 was black and we usually got what the USA got. I was going on the comment by Up't North in post #9, for if we had a red in '98, then it had to be Wineberry, as that was the only red we saw after '97.

Black and green in '98? I know there is a list with just Canadian colours on it, but I can't locate that now.

I make it a habit to look on kijiji on a weekly basis, sometimes it was multiple times per day… sad life I have :)
I can’t remember seeing Canadian models listed from these years. 1991, 1992, 1994.

Since there is a black '98 for sale on here right now . . .

Black and green must have been the '98 colours.

Since there is a black '98 for sale on here right now . . .

Black and green must have been the '98 colours.
But that is a US 1998 in black.
Available colours in Canada and the US were often different I seem to recall.

South of the border, here in the USA, I think the colours were:
Pure red 1995 to 1997,
Black in 1998 and 1999,
Wineberry 2000 to 2002.

I've never seen cmsnl.com be wrong though. They include bike counts and sample VINs for all Canadian models. But as I said, one must look under 1998 Australia to find a parts list for those green ones, I think.

By the way, what other web sites have parts lists for Canadian models? (Market code CM)
And for Australian? (Market code U, short for Under)

Unless they had their VIN plates modified to VIN stickers, those green STs would still have a U as the eighth character of their VIN. (True Canadian STs will have a 2 or a 5 there.)

Back
Top Bottom