When motorcycle officers make me happy

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
Wow! We really need both of those here. Undercover on bike AND enforcing phone violations! So many bikers are getting killed here by people distracted on phones!!!

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
I looked on Subway's wrap menu, but there was no sign of a "bum wrap".

Bike
2010 ST1300
They could have every officer in police departments calling out people using phones while driving. It wouldn't make a dent in the usage unless they were fining folks. That might not be a politically popular law to enforce.

Bike
'09 ST1300A
They could have every officer in police departments calling out people using phones while driving. It wouldn't make a dent in the usage unless they were fining folks. That might not be a politically popular law to enforce.
I don't think politics has anything to do with it here in British Columbia. The Motor Vehicle Act forbids using electronic devices while driving. The offence is called "distracted driving" and includes (for example) texting, cell phone conversations, personal grooming, searching for music. A popular method of enforcement is using an undercover cop as a panhandler at an intersection. Check your phone while stopped at the light? Get a ticket! Self-entitled soccer moms don't stand a chance.

The fine for first offence is $368 plus penalty points on your drivers license which affects your insurance rates.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I commend the motor scout, but there's one glaring problem in the video.

He appears to be working in the UK, but I only ride here in the USA.

Distracted cell phone users and drivers across the pond don't disrupt my travel much. Do we need to send our American officers to Great Britain to be trained?

I'm for it. In short order, the fine revenue will pay for their airfare, food and lodging.

OP
OP
Obo

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Like Bozo said it falls under "distracted driving." That category allows police some leeway depending on what you were doing, if it caused an accident etc. It covers more than just cell phones, but that's the most common use of the law. It's rare to hear of the other scenarios being talked about in the news or around the water cooler.

Every province here in Canada does at least a fine. Some also do demerit points off your license, increased fines if you decide to repeat & license suspensions.
Fines range from $172.50 to $3000.00

I see handheld cell use here frequently regardless of being in my car or on my bike. Texting, watching videos, phone calls and even video calls. It really gets me riled up when I see those, but I'm personally biased. Everyone knows it's illegal, so it's jut a case of "I don't care."

I think it's just as dangerous as DUI even though it's often "condensed" in time frame. Those few seconds is all it takes though to change someones life.

Somewhat off topic, my wife lost her cousin and spouse to a drunk driver 18 years ago. Luckily the 2 young kids in the back seat survived, although not without injuries. The intoxicated driver also survived and was sentenced to 5 years in prison. (He got 16 years total but the 5 sentences were to be served concurrently, with 5 years the longest single sentence.)

Bike
Honda ST1300 Pan-Eur
I commend the motor scout, but there's one glaring problem in the video.

He appears to be working in the UK, but I only ride here in the USA.

Distracted cell phone users and drivers across the pond don't disrupt my travel much. Do we need to send our American officers to Great Britain to be trained?

I'm for it. In short order, the fine revenue will pay for their airfare, food and lodging.
Not the UK. Australia or New Zealand I think.

Bike
'99 ST1100 AX
Good in him, definitely in Australia, where they take it seriously. The only time you can use the phone in the car is either stopped with engine off, or on a 100% hands free system.
Queensland: 3 demerit points & $390 fine for first offence / 4 demerit points & $ 1,161 fine for 2nd / 3rd offence - banned at 12 points for up to 6 months ...
New South Wales: 5 demerit points & $387 fine, but 10 points & $514 fine if in a school zone.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Like Bozo said it falls under "distracted driving." .... Everyone knows it's illegal, so it's jut a case of "I don't care."
Distracted driving is illegal here, too, and driving w/o seat belts is considered a primary offense in most suburbs. However, (I'm speculating here) police officers have enough to do without going around citing drivers for these two infractions. Based on my spotting of cell phone use, and the proximity of police cars, they (the cops) have to be ignoring this. I've seen people reading the newspaper (propped on the steering wheel), eating, grooming (lipstick, makeup, combing), swatting at a kid in the back seat, you name it - distracted driving is widely ignored by law enforcement.

I said the enforcement is political because with so many laws on the books, the PD has to determine which ones to enforce. It makes a much bigger and positive splash in the news to prosecute a dui driver who has just caused an accident and injured/killed someone than giving a ticket to a lawyer driving to work from his suburban home while on the phone. Can you imagine the push back if an officer were to cite a mother driving to school with her kids and trying to discipline them while driving? Especially in a wealthy suburb.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
"Pull up then we'll talk. (Then I write)."

This should be applied to every vehicle code violation as much as practical. Risky business though for "undercover" traffic enforcement. Though most illegal cellphone users aren't likely to rabbit when being busted for talking.

I'd like to see his rig. It's got 'blues'. Twos or equivalent? No Battenburg of course. Uniform? Drivers need to recognize on approach that he's police and not some traffic vigilante or a Jeremy DeWitt. Makes me smile when he tells drivers he's got them on camera.

Bike
2008 ST1300a
Like Bozo said it falls under "distracted driving." That category allows police some leeway depending on what you were doing, if it caused an accident etc. It covers more than just cell phones, but that's the most common use of the law. It's rare to hear of the other scenarios being talked about in the news or around the water cooler.

Every province here in Canada does at least a fine. Some also do demerit points off your license, increased fines if you decide to repeat & license suspensions.
Fines range from $172.50 to $3000.00

I see handheld cell use here frequently regardless of being in my car or on my bike. Texting, watching videos, phone calls and even video calls. It really gets me riled up when I see those, but I'm personally biased. Everyone knows it's illegal, so it's jut a case of "I don't care."

I think it's just as dangerous as DUI even though it's often "condensed" in time frame. Those few seconds is all it takes though to change someones life.

Somewhat off topic, my wife lost her cousin and spouse to a drunk driver 18 years ago. Luckily the 2 young kids in the back seat survived, although not without injuries. The intoxicated driver also survived and was sentenced to 5 years in prison. (He got 16 years total but the 5 sentences were to be served concurrently, with 5 years the longest single sentence.)
I called in a guy I passed on the 401hwy near Toronto who was reading a flipping book while driving! book open on the steering wheel, weaving around and across lanes...moron could have killed someone. I hope he got his ass handed to him by the cops.

Top Bottom