When shifting to 2nd

Hello everyone 2000 st1100 so when I’m up shifting to 2nd it usually goes in rough, as opposed to going into 3rd it’s smooth. Does anyone else have this?

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Welcome to the forum.

Yes, they all do it. Possible solutions, in no articular order:

Preload shifter, meaning apply some pressure before shifting.

Shift firmly and decisively, with full shifter travel.

Adjust the shifter down a little, so less toe lift is required.

Perhaps try a different engine oil, like a full synthetic.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Yes, they all do it.
I have owned two from new, a 1999 and a 2000. Neither one did it.

Consider trying the below.

Last edited:
Bike
'06 ST1300A
Welcome/Bienvenue to this space from Eastern Ontario, just down the road. :canflag1:
Unfortunately no experience with the 1100 but many here will be able to help.
I agree with @Larry Fine about an oil change or a different oil than you are currently using. Won’t cost a fortune to try and may solve the problem. Be sure to use an oil that is JASO certified MA. The MA symbol can be found on the back of the container.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
25 years on the same ST1100, can't say I noticed any problems shifting into 2nd, although that's typically the motorcycle gear that gets mentioned for any bike as being the one that's a bit different than the others. If I miss a shift, its always into 2nd, but I can't say its "rough", whatever that means. Better/new oil can make a difference, and the shift linkage might also be a culprit, or it might just be the nature of the particular bike you're riding.

Bike
2000 ST1100
My neutral to first will clunk and first to second is a little rougher than the other gears. I chalk it up to just the age of the bike and soldier on.

Bike
ST1100X
STOC #
Don't rush the change, but be firm with the pedal. It will get easier as the oil warms up. All other changes will be pretty slick.....

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
The 1st to 2nd shift was rough, if I made the shift at low RPM’s. If I shifted at 4000, or up, it was much smother.

John
I've found all the Hondas I've owned to have a much longer lever travel from first to second than higher gears. I've also found that my choice in boots is the cause of 'misses' when shifting from first to second. I also keep the ST's over 2500 rpm where the bike has some power immediately available for just in cases, maybe a bit higher depending on traffic behavior so subsequent shifts are no problem. Also keep the linkage clean and lubed.....it's down low and exposed to all manner of 'stuff'.

OP
OP
Canadian st
{hopefully everyone who replied will see this}wow you guys are amazing!! I thank you all for your input.i will be using full synthetic oil next change.im also happy that it seems to be a common thing among 1100,as im ready to hit the road for what could possibly turn into cross country trip across canada.

Bike
97 ST1100
STOC #
I have this issue on my '97 as well, and I have adapted my technique to keep the upward pressure on the shift lever until the clutch is fully engaged, and that seems to help reduce the number of times that it "pops out" back to N after upshifting.

Bike
'06 ST1300A
{hopefully everyone who replied will see this}wow you guys are amazing!! I thank you all for your input.i will be using full synthetic oil next change.im also happy that it seems to be a common thing among 1100,as im ready to hit the road for what could possibly turn into cross country trip across canada.
Ride baby ride!!! :dr11:

OP
OP
Canadian st
+1 @Andrew Shadow mine is as smooth as a hot knife through butter.
My bet would be the linkage. Take it off, clean it properly and re-lube.
Might be worth checking the brass clutch bushing as well.
Pre-loading will smooth it out but shouldn't be necessary.
Good luck.
Upt'North.
I have this issue on my '97 as well, and I have adapted my technique to keep the upward pressure on the shift lever until the clutch is fully engaged, and that seems to help reduce the number of times that it "pops out" back to N after upshifting.
ok mine doesn't come out of gear, its just not as smooth as the rest.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Don't forget motorcycle oil only in your crankcase. After that ride on brother:)

Bike
'06 ST1300A
hey buddy how are you? where you from?
I’m fine, thanks for asking and as I posted (post #4) I’m about 45-60min from Montreal depending on which end of the island I’m going to.
If you hover over the avatars on this site with your mouse, you will see where people are located. Check it out!

OP
OP
Canadian st
+1 @Andrew Shadow mine is as smooth as a hot knife through butter.
My bet would be the linkage. Take it off, clean it properly and re-lube.
Might be worth checking the brass clutch bushing as well.
Pre-loading will smooth it out but shouldn't be necessary.
Good luck.
Upt'North.
I will definitely do this.i did it on my tl1000s and it did make a difference.thanks

Top Bottom