When to replace tires?

Bike
ST1100
Considering 5k- 5,5k km two up trip. Everything is ready (bike is fine, oil changed, planned to replace brake pads), need to schedule vacation and trip itself. But almost forgot that I may need to think about tires. I have now Michelin pilot 4 on the front with 2-3 mm tread left and Battalax T30R on the rear with 2-3 mm tread left. I've done around 20k km on it. So i have couple of maybe stupid questions:
1. How to assess if this amount of tread is enough for 5k trip?
2. I suppose that about 1000 km of the whole trip will be out of asphalt. If I need to replace tires, if there are slightly off road options (hope not too expensive) on the market for ST1100 ABS ?

OP
OP
Alberto
Bike
ST1100
ok, thanks (sighs sadly), need to swap to a new set of tires. I'll keep old ones somewhere and finish later...

Are we having a little offroad tire options? Or don't even need to think about it?

Last edited:
Bike
2000 ST1100
ok, thanks (sighs sadly), need to swap to a new set of tires. I'll keep them somewhere and finish later...

Are we having a little offroad tire options? Or don't even need to think about it?
Imho some may disagree with me but your ST1100 will not make a good off road bike. Don't have the suspension for it and with 7.5 gallons of fuel on board it will be heavy. If it was me I'd stick with road tires.

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
Not goung to real offroad, of course. Just thought that maybe there are some more other tire options to feel more confident on dirt / gravel roads
I ride on dirt roads sometimes, dual sport tires would certainly help and I’ve thought about it before.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Not goung to real offroad, of course. Just thought that maybe there are some more other tire options to feel more confident on dirt / gravel roads
I did not notice a significant difference between my ST1300's handling on gravel and my VStrom's. I was running Angel GT's on the ST, and Shinko 705's on the VStrom (Shinkos are either 90/10 or 80/20 Road/off road tires). I'm talking about straight line riding with gentle turns at low to moderate speeds. The gravel roads I traversed were both loose gravel on new chip seal roads and fire/gravel roads in state parks/National Forests, as well as some rural graded gravel roads.

If you are going to be primarily on paved roads, go with the tire that you like the best for blacktop and deal with the occasional gravel.

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
I have used shinko 705’s. They were good on pavement and ok on dirt.

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
My ST1300 appears to handle dirt roads better with Dunlop SPORTMAX ROADSMART III tires as apposed to Pirelli Angel GTs which it currently has. But I prefer the handling of the Pirelli’s on pavement.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Pirelli MT 60 RS ?

Maybe check the load rating for those tires. Are they the correct match for a 650 plus pound touring bike? How many miles will you get....a couple of thousand? And finally wonder how smooth your ride will be when you want to get back on paved roads? in my opinion no free lunch here.

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
Maybe check the load rating for those tires. Are they the correct match for a 650 plus pound touring bike? How many miles will you get....a couple of thousand? And finally wonder how smooth your ride will be when you want to get back on paved roads? in my opinion no free lunch here.
60/40 dual sport. More than I would want but it’s hard to find sizes that fit. I would prefer Shinko 705’s. 80/20

Rear Tire Specifications
brand:pirelli
part #:643931
mfg #:2636100
sidewallblackwall
bias / radialradial
speed rating(w) 168+ mph
load rating73(805 lbs)
ply rating-
tube / tubelesstubeless
rim size17 in.
tire size180/55-17