where can i find the front modulaor crank angle sensor thank you

Hi please could someone help me , I bought a st1100 that had been sitting in a barn for around 7 or 8 years. I striped it down changed the brakes, oil air filter gear oil plugs, and gave it a very good clean and polish, put new battery on it turned the key started first time petrol 8 years old. Passed the MOT but have one problem ABS light flashes. It says it the front modulaor crank angel sencor. I have been reading the forums on here maybe how to get it working. So will try that but could someone tell me the location of it is on the bike please thank you

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Welcome to the forum. Cobgratulations on your new to you ST1100.

The crank angle sensor is a part of the ABS unit, I believe. There are four wires going to each ABS unit. 2 are for the motor, 2 are for the crank angle sensor.
The front ABS modulator is somewhere under the fairng to the right of the headlight. Roughly the yellow shaded component. The red shaded component is where the crank angle sensor is connected to the loom.

1595014780471.png

If the ECU isn't getting data from the crank angle sensor, it may be because the fuse to the motor has blown. When you first turn on the ignition, both ABS units whirr briefly to make sure that the ABS modulator is in the correct position (ie ready to release the pressure in the brake line, not increase it !). You can put your hand on the ABS unit to feel whether or not it is working when you turn on the ignition.

I have had blown ABS fuses simply by having too much fluid in the reservoir.

It would help enormously if you could let us know exactly which model you have. The white label stuck on the frame under the seat will tell you. Eg ST1100AY - or something like that. There are some big changes related to ABS and brakes over the years. My only experience is with the ABS on the 2000 ABS model.

Whereabouts in North Yorkshire are you ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Welcome to the forum. Cobgratulations on your new to you ST1100.

The crank angle sensor is a part of the ABS unit, I believe. There are four wires going to each ABS unit. 2 are for the motor, 2 are for the crank angle sensor.
The front ABS modulator is somewhere under the fairng to the right of the headlight. Roughly the yellow shaded component. The red shaded component is where the crank angle sensor is connected to the loom.

1595014780471.png

If the ECU isn't getting data from the crank angle sensor, it may be because the fuse to the motor has blown. When you first turn on the ignition, both ABS units whirr briefly to make sure that the ABS modulator is in the correct position (ie ready to release the pressure in the brake line, not increase it !). You can put your hand on the ABS unit to feel whether or not it is working when you turn on the ignition.

I have had blown ABS fuses simply by having too much fluid in the reservoir.

It would help enormously if you could let us know exactly which model you have. The white label stuck on the frame under the seat will tell you. Eg ST1100AY - or something like that. There are some big changes related to ABS and brakes over the years. My only experience is with the ABS on the 2000 ABS model.

Whereabouts in North Yorkshire are you ?
Hi i live in Robin Hoods Bay near Whitby. Thank you for getting back to me. I did try all the fuses in the fuse boxes and they seem to be OK. Is there anymore fuses than the one's in the fuse boxes

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Only the one in the starter relay housing. Red connector in front of the battery. And the main fuse. But you wouldn't have anything if it was those That had failed. Do the Abs. Modulators whirr when you turn on the ignition ?

DaveWooster

'95 ST1100ALS and '98 Standard ST1100W
Bike
1995 ST1100A
STOC #
It sounds as though the Pan is either year code T,V,W,X or Y for this ABS II model.

The frame number would tell the year code and identify the exact parts list.
I know of only one change, which was for the V year.

Someone here has posted the Honda service manual chapter for these brakes. (The Haynes seems to be weak for ABS matters.)

The base name is ST1100A Pan.

DaveWooster

'95 ST1100ALS and '98 Standard ST1100W
Bike
1995 ST1100A
STOC #
It sounds as though the Pan is either year code T,V,W,X or Y for this ABS II model.

The frame number would tell the year code and identify the exact parts list.
I know of only one change, which was for the V year.

Someone here has posted the Honda service manual chapter for these brakes. (The Haynes seems to be weak for ABS matters.)

The base name is ST1100A Pan.

If I recall, others have put black tape over the red light and passed the MOT?

OP
OP
Only the one in the starter relay housing. Red connector in front of the battery. And the main fuse. But you wouldn't have anything if it was those That had failed. Do the Abs. Modulators whirr when you turn on the ignition ?
Morning when I turn the ignition on yes it whirr. Also when I do the test by pushing the abs switch down then turn the ignition on wait for abs lights to go out then release the button it clicks for a couple of seconds

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Might be time to check that the connectors and wires are OK.

But before you do that. Retrieve the two fault codes that the system generates. If you don't know how to do that, take a look here - the video half way down the first post.

The article is to do with the faulty wheel speed sensor - and the bike is a 2000 model, so the rest of it may not be relevant to your issue. Also fault codes may be different for your model. Without knowing the specific model, it is difficult to give you specific information.

Make a note of the fault codes, and then clear them from the memory. How to do that is shown underneath the video.

Turn the ignition off, and then turn it back on again, and see what fault codes are generated. It might be that you are seeing old fault codes.
Let us know what you get.

OP
OP
Might be time to check that the connectors and wires are OK.

But before you do that. Retrieve the two fault codes that the system generates. If you don't know how to do that, take a look here - the video half way down the first post.

The article is to do with the faulty wheel speed sensor - and the bike is a 2000 model, so the rest of it may not be relevant to your issue. Also fault codes may be different for your model. Without knowing the specific model, it is difficult to give you specific information.

Make a note of the fault codes, and then clear them from the memory. How to do that is shown underneath the video.

Turn the ignition off, and then turn it back on again, and see what fault codes are generated. It might be that you are seeing old fault codes.
Let us know what you get.
Hi wondering if you could help me still heaving problems with my ABS, the bike shop that I sent it to has found the problem its the motor in the front pump, would anyone have a pump for sale complete or a rear pump the bike shop said the motor out of the rear pump will fit the front pump the year of my ST1100 1995. NEED PUMP OR MOTOR 1992 TO. 1995 THANK YOU

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Start hunting for UK motorcycle breakers. Or ebay.
There's one on ebay at present - but you'd need to check whether or not it fitted your model - and easy enough to get him to check the motor whirrs. He's in Derbyshire. I'll PM the link to the ebay page I found.

Top Bottom