Where did he come from?

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Does it physically rotate, or does it constantly record 360, and you choose your view during playback?

OP
OP
kiltman

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Does it physically rotate, or does it constantly record 360, and you choose your view during playback?
No it doesn’t rotate. It shoots constantly in 360. Once you shot the video, you upload the file to your device and then choose the angle you wish to display. You can also do a picture within a picture so you can view what’s in front or behind at the same time. You can track an object as you pass by it or it passes you.

OP
OP
kiltman

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Pricey though... (nearly € 400- over here...)
Wasn't there also some AI-software composing/selecting the view angle/direction by scenery/objects?
That is part of the package, however, you have to upload the file to your device first, then select the effect you wish to use. It does the configuring, selects the shots and puts it in a package for you to upload to the media of your choosing. Then you save the new file to your photo album. You should delete the file you uploaded to your phone otherwise you will run out of memory. The down side is, if the file is too big, then you can't do anything with it unless you upload it to a computer first.
I think that the AI software is in the app and you have to use a tablet or phone to make it functional.
Yes the price is hefty. Though I would need to use two or more cameras, a lot of synching in post to make it work, so having one camera do all of it can be a saving.
The files are big to manage. I tend to shoot in short segments around 3-6 minutes at a time. This allows better management of computer resources to manipulate the files.
The camera shoots in 5K but once edited you are limited to 1080p which is acceptable for most social media applications.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Love that InstaOne, and came close to buying one instead of my GoPro9.
Still definitely see one in my future.
Defininitely.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
... if the file is too big, then you can't do anything with it unless you upload it to a computer first.
My Sony FDR-X3000R snips the footage into hand-able pieces... regardless how long you keep it in recording... full 4K though...
Wonder about system requirements for the Insta360 STUDIO, Adobe Premiere Pro mandatory...

OP
OP
kiltman

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
My Sony FDR-X3000R snips the footage into hand-able pieces... regardless how long you keep it in recording... full 4K though...
And the Insta seems a proprietary iOS only situation...
Ya my SJcam does the same thing in 3 minute chunks. That’s where I got the idea to do short segments on the 360.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Michael, did you just edit your post? I was responding to the "proprietary iOS only situation..." when I mentioned Ithought that Insta360 had expanded its Android / Windows solutions.
Bummer!
Had the chance to borrow a friend's InstaOne, two or three years ago, and they had limited non-iOS solutions to use their files. If it's ONLY for iOS, guess I'll be looking for an alternative.
GoPro has a 360 offering in the market, but it's not the same feature set.

EDIT: I do so love the "tiny world" creative options. That to me is still cool, even though it's no longer new.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Michael, did you just edit your post? I was responding to the "proprietary iOS only situation..." when I mentioned Ithought that Insta360 had expanded its Android / Windows solutions.
I edited my post...
The problem: the Insta360 is a plug-in for the Adobe Premiere Pro... AFAIK only avail as abo for € 24,-/month... :oops:
Alternative I found only the Premiere Pro CC team VIP GOV 3 Year Commit for € 435,- !!!

PowerDirector did the same, only "cloud subscriptions" avail... no offline editing software anymore...

I suggest ShotCut but don't know if it's compatible with the Insta360...

OP
OP
kiltman

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
The app for the Insta 360 Cameras is pretty good, and for the most part the editing features do what I need it to do. I’m trying to keep it as simple as possible. Once I’ve completed my edit on the app, I either save it to Dropbox or my photo album and then pick the file up and do further edits with iMovie. That’s my wheelhouse at the moment….though I might explore other options in the future. ;)

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
If I can just download to my Windoze laptop, I have a subscription to the Adobe Suite.
If it strictly relies on iOS, that's a deal-breaker.
I'll have to look into it more, maybe by the time I'm ready for Insta, they'll have some compatibility with non-Apple solutions.
The capture format is not standard .mp4, or it wouldn't matter.

Bike
2004 ST1300
That's very cool camera Robert. You had a great day in PQ by the looks of it. Of course that was back in August(?) right. Great commentary too.

Top Bottom