Where Do You Carry Your ICE Information And Your Spot?

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Does a Spot need to be visible? If not, why not just stick it in a jacket pocket?

Uncle Phil, where did you get the little aluminum containers?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Does a Spot need to be visible? If not, why not just stick it in a jacket pocket?

Uncle Phil, where did you get the little aluminum containers?
For best performance it needs to be pointing upward but in reality, in a pocket will work just fine.

1129VLD

"71David5"
Bike
04 ST1300
STOC #
<snip> If you're knocked out a SPOT is not going to do you any good, unless some one is with you. <snip>
The Donald Masters (RIP) scenario taught us that this isn't necessarily so.

When I travel I'm always in tracking mode; and if I stop somewhere for more than just a few minutes I send an OK message at the beginning of the stop and usually the end of the stop. Family and friends who are following my SPOT track know that if I am at the same location for more than a couple of hours without sending an OK message .... well, something might be wrong and they should consider contacting the authorities to check on me. This would only apply to a remote location or where the SPOT is showing me off the road (not at a Dairy Queen parking lot ... for example).

I mentioned Donald Masters because it was that incident that prompted many to purchase SPOTs.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Phil, I had smaller versions of these on my pets but I found the top attached and the bottom gone on several occasions. I think they're a great idea, but I also think you'll periodically want to make sure they're screwed on tight.
:yes:

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
I agree, a card in your wallet w/ICE info on it is also a very good thing to have, and so easy to throw together in 5 mins that it's almost ludicrous not to have.

Tim, any chance a wallet is all they had because that's all you had? Do you know for certain they didn't check your neck/wrists for ID or med alert info?
Nope I had had neither. That was part of my problem. I should have thought better. Things will be different next time. You don't think of these sometimes until you need them. I would use a SPOT for trips and local I didn't think I needed anything but will be better prepared. I don't know what they checked I was out and don't remember.

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
The Donald Masters (RIP) scenario taught us that this isn't necessarily so.

When I travel I'm always in tracking mode; and if I stop somewhere for more than just a few minutes I send an OK message at the beginning of the stop and usually the end of the stop. Family and friends who are following my SPOT track know that if I am at the same location for more than a couple of hours without sending an OK message .... well, something might be wrong and they should consider contacting the authorities to check on me. This would only apply to a remote location or where the SPOT is showing me off the road (not at a Dairy Queen parking lot ... for example).

I mentioned Donald Masters because it was that incident that prompted many to purchase SPOTs.
Yes you're right with this. If he had a last known location then it could have started there. I like my SPOT for the tracking mode. It leaves a footprint on where to start. I followed the search for him and prompted me to get a SPOT. My riding will be different when I start back.

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
My son is a paramedic and a rider in the Chicago area. He cautioned me that the USB tags are still a bit ahead of their time. Probably better for information in the emergency room than can provide emergency data at a crash site. Most systems and first responders are not yet setup for gathering info from the electronic tags, yet. He suggests the helmet kit and a tag attached to the jacket zipper are probably the best spots for medical information. I have both attached to my gear, a card in my wallet and keep my SPOT attached to my left side reservoir. Reasonably, I feel that is the most I can do to prepare for an emergency.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
you can... I carry my on my belt under the jacket without to much tracking loss...( less than 1 of 10 track ). I used the slotted opening in the back to add a heavy zip tie and then added a clip so its easily removed.

Mountain Mike

I frequent the IBA Motel
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I assume my cell phone either won't survive the crash or is password protected so I do have ICE info there but it won't be accessible.
I used a label maker to put my ice info on the back of my phone. Just my parents phone number and blood type, but with me thats all you need.

It actually came in handy when I lost my backpack at a 5K race, the guy couldent figure out how to access my phone, but the number allowed him to call mom, who in turn called me.

Top Bottom