where do you keep your water bottle

Bike
2007 ST
Just had a read of Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough

I learned a few new things about this passion of ours

The book has some passages describing the dangers of riding in extreme heat or just riding and not paying attention to proper hydration

Riding along the highways lost and half dazed or being hospitalized for a week.

Have any first hand experience with heat stroke

and...

So where do you keep your water when riding?

Top case, paniers, tank bag, tank bag which includes bladder, add on water bottle bracket...

Toaksy

Tim Oaks
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Re: where do you keep your bottle

It depends on what I am doing a small day trip a water bottle in the tank bag. A longer trip some times it is a camel back on my back or straped to the bags on the back of the bike. Where ever I carry water I stop quite offen to refill or just toget some shade

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Lot of threads on this. My guess and hope is most have experienced heat cramps or heat exhaustion not progressed to heat stroke. I try to carry the water in me. IOW drink before you're thirsty. On board depends on how long a trip and how hot but the goal is to drinking regularly and stay hydrated not try to rehydrate. Mostly water but also drink diluted gatoraid.

.02 heat cramps is pretty common with heavy physical activity in the heat, if I got em just sitting on a motorcycle I'd guess I was WAY under hydrated.

fwiw

Heat cramps.
Heat cramps are caused by initial exposure to high temperatures or physical exertion. Signs and symptoms of heat cramps usually include excess sweating, fatigue, thirst and cramps, usually in the stomach, arms or legs. This condition is common in very hot weather or with moderate to heavy physical activity. You can usually treat heat cramps by drinking water or fluids containing electrolytes (Gatorade or other sports drinks), resting and getting to a cool spot, like a shaded or air-conditioned area.

Heat exhaustion. Heat exhaustion occurs when you don't act on the signs and symptoms of heat cramps and your condition worsens. Signs and symptoms of heat exhaustion include a headache, dizziness or lightheadedness, nausea, skin that feels cool and moist, and muscle cramps. Often with heat exhaustion, you can treat the condition yourself by following the same measures used to treat heat cramps, such as drinking cool, nonalcoholic beverages, getting into an air-conditioned area or taking a cool shower. If your symptoms persist, seek medical attention immediately.

Heatstroke symptoms include:

• High body temperature. A body temperature of 104 F (40 C) or higher is the main sign of heatstroke.
  • A lack of sweating. In heatstroke brought on by hot weather, your skin will feel hot and dry to the touch. However, in heatstroke brought on by strenuous exercise, your skin may feel moist.
  • Nausea and vomiting. You may feel sick to your stomach or vomit.
  • Flushed skin. Your skin may turn red as your body temperature increases.
  • Rapid breathing. Your breathing may become rapid and shallow.
  • Racing heart rate. Your pulse may significantly increase because heat stress places a tremendous burden on your heart to help cool your body.
  • Headache. You may experience a throbbing headache.
  • Confusion. You may have seizures, hallucinate, or have difficulty speaking or understanding what others are saying.
  • Unconsciousness. You may pass out or fall into a state of deep unconsciousness (coma).
  • Muscle cramps or weakness. Your muscles may feel tender or cramped in the early stages of heatstroke, but may later go rigid or limp.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
The tall, front-right pocket of the Aerostich Roadcrafter is perfectly sized for a large Platypus bladder. I stick it in there, feed the straw into my helmet, and enjoy the refreshing beverage of choice.

Not to mention, if I put ice in the bladder, it keeps nice and cool against my chest in the suit, which feels great too.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I carry a squeeze bottle of water in the left fairing pocket and if riding for distance I'll carry a liter or two in a saddlebag to top off the fairing pocket bottle. I wear a flip up modular helmet and can take water while riding.

Bike
04 Honda ST1300
STOC #
Camelbak bladder in the tank bag. If really hot, I will put a small collapsible cooler inside the tank bag, fill the Camelbak bladder as full as possible with ice, put it in the collapsible cooler, zip that shut except for the 1/2" needed to thread the drink tube through, close the tank bag leaving space for drink tube, drink while riding down the road or nice long drinks anytime stopped! If just a short trip, I don't bother with all of that and just bring a bottle in the trunk or saddlebag or just buy drink during stops.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
When on the road I always have my large CB badder in my Polar Bear cooler. It can be strapped on the pillion and it stays vertical. Then when I get to my destination, the cooler is populated with a refreshemt for when camp is set up.;)

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Wally World bladder (with a CamelBak bite valve) in the tank bag,,, plus another 3-liter jug in the right pannier for immediate refills if needed. Usually refill at McD's at least once during the day...

Gonna change this up, tho,,, several folks are carrying a gallon jug on one of the passenger pegs with a hose up to the top... works a charm from what I've heard. Search the forums, someone is making a "kit" to facilitate this farkle, John Oo has the prototype for the 1100 on his SSMST.

I also carry coffee at nearly all times, one cup in the "cup holder" on the left pocket, another between the bars (bar risers and no bar cover make a nice nest for a 20 oz cup. :D) I sip as needed, all day, every day,,, no dehydration allowed on The CattBike. :coffee1:

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
RedST05 gave me a 1gal water bottle he got at K-Mart. It is sitting on my passenger peg and has a bungie cord holding it on. He used a 3/8 plastic tube in place of the spout and ran it beside the seat. I put on the hose from my cheap walmart water blader and it's bite valve. It cost less than $20 and has a big top to dump ice in and then just add water.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Thanks, John,,, I figured you would chime in... Irony: when cleaning my garage last month, I tossed the two-gallon water cooler I used to carry in the work truck (yeah, I used to work for a living.) I'll check at Wally World for a new one.

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
For everyday riding around town or day rides its in a RAM mount cup holder between the bars. For longer trips I take that off and go to a 1/2 gal jug on the passenger foot peg with a drinking tube on a string at the bars.

I like to have my water where I can get to it while riding..

Top Bottom