Where does the throttle stop screw cable screw in?

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum but I'm sure I'll be back often. I was just given a 90 ST1100 from my brother. It wasn't running and he wanted it out of his garage. I've been trying to troubleshoot why it won't start and will backfire occasionally when trying to get her running. I noticed when I pulled off the tupperware that the adjustment knob that is in the gas tank area was not connected to anything. I believe this is probably at the start of what my problems are. I can't find where this connects back to. Anyone know where this goes and if this is a job that can be performed by someone new to motorcycles?

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum but I'm sure I'll be back often. I was just given a 90 ST1100 from my brother. It wasn't running and he wanted it out of his garage. I've been trying to troubleshoot why it won't start and will backfire occasionally when trying to get her running. I noticed when I pulled off the tupperware that the adjustment knob that is in the gas tank area was not connected to anything. I believe this is probably at the start of what my problems are. I can't find where this connects back to. Anyone know where this goes and if this is a job that can be performed by someone new to motorcycles?
The cable stays loose and the knob end hooks into the rubber slot around the gas cap. When the tupperware is off it just hangs there. That is just a quick idle adjustment. That's not why the bike is not starting. how many years has it sat?

The cable stays loose and the knob end hooks into the rubber slot around the gas cap. When the tupperware is off it just hangs there. That is just a quick idle adjustment. That's not why the bike is not starting. how many years has it sat?
although its not 100% clear from his post, I interpreted it the same way Uncle Phil did. He's saying that the other end of the idle adjust cable isn't connected to anything on the carbs, so when he turns the knob, nothing happens. But, your interpretation may be what he's saying, hard to tell.

although its not 100% clear from his post, I interpreted it the same way Uncle Phil did. He's saying that the other end of the idle adjust cable isn't connected to anything on the carbs, so when he turns the knob, nothing happens. But, your interpretation may be what he's saying, hard to tell.
yea .. nothing going to happen if it doesn't start

Couple years. He put seafoam in it prior to it sitting. I pulled all the gas I could out of the tank, put fresh fuel with seafoam as well.

Correct, the screw is not screwed into anything. When I started to take the tupperware off I noticed it was just hanging (screw end was hanging) while the knob was in the rubber location next to the gas cap.

My '96 didn't run properly and I'm sure it was due to lack of use and clogged jets, but it ran. The '97 I had and went through didn't run well from sitting for years, but it also ran. So it's possible that no fuel is getting to the engine, but seems sort of unlikely. You'll want to get the service manual do the usual checks for getting an engine running like checking for spark, etc. Like my brother told me once, of course it will run. It's a Honda.

And that cable just screws into a mount on the back side of the carbs pointing upward. Make sure the spring that fits over the screw is still there. I don't recall if it is captured. You can just see it behind the fuel lines (that I'm aware were installed upside down before I figured it out..)

Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 11.21.32 AM.png

Couple years. He put seafoam in it prior to it sitting. I pulled all the gas I could out of the tank, put fresh fuel with seafoam as well.
When you first turn the key on you should hear the fuel pump buzz for a couple of seconds then off. If thats ok check the fuel filter, put a hose on the end that goes to the carbs and see if its pumping any gas when the key is firsts turned on. Fuel pumps could get gummed up after sitting. If it backfired we know there is spark. Don't be afraid of giving it some throttle to start it. And for giggles since it wasn't your bike, are you using the choke?

My '96 didn't run properly and I'm sure it was due to lack of use and clogged jets, but it ran. The '97 I had and went through didn't run well from sitting for years, but it also ran. So it's possible that no fuel is getting to the engine, but seems sort of unlikely. You'll want to get the service manual do the usual checks for getting an engine running like checking for spark, etc. Like my brother told me once, of course it will run. It's a Honda.

And that cable just screws into a mount on the back side of the carbs pointing upward. Make sure the spring that fits over the screw is still there. I don't recall if it is captured. You can just see it behind the fuel lines (that I'm aware were installed upside down before I figured it out..)

View attachment 289250
Noted, thank you for the picture. How much do you feel I would need to take off/dismantle the bike to get this back attached? I won't be able to get to the garage until Sunday but I'd like to put in a game plan prior to that.

When you first turn the key on you should hear the fuel pump buzz for a couple of seconds then off. If thats ok check the fuel filter, put a hose on the end that goes to the carbs and see if its pumping any gas when the key is firsts turned on. Fuel pumps could get gummed up after sitting. If it backfired we know there is spark. Don't be afraid of giving it some throttle to start it. And for giggles since it wasn't your bike, are you using the choke?
The pump turns on, it is turning over and will occasionally roll over to 500rpm while giving it gas. I've got the choke on and giving gas.

possibly, but there should be a spring on the end also, it may be under the carbs. your worries about the cable should be secondary for know. You need to see if fuel is getting to the carbs. IMO that's why it's not running. It should run but not idle with that cable out.

Do you think I could get this screwed in without removing the carbs?
I agree with Al. Possibly... will have to think on that. I did install my AudioVox CC lever arm to the throttle bellcrank by lifting just the rear of the carbs a bit with the rear carb boots’ clamps loosened.
Also agree that you need that spring installed IAAP, but it should run without it, if the ‘choke’ is on and you hold the throttle open a bit (probably won’t idle if you let go of the throttle though, with the cable unattached).

John

Last edited:
Personally, if you have to move the carbs just to get that cable in place, I think I'd at least get it running so-so first. If you disturb the carbs and the rubber insulators are hardened, getting them back in place and leak-free might be iffy, and now trouble-shooting may get more complicated.

If you plan to keep it for awhile and the carbs are clogged, get all new rubber parts for the job. And then also do the cooling system rubber while you're in there. It's all in the tech sections of the two forums, it's not all that complicated and will probably only cost a couple hundred for parts. And you'll have ten guys who'll walk you through each step.

And don't use a phillips driver on the JIS screws.

Check all of your vacuum lines and make sure they are connected and not rotted up and broken. It may be getting too much air and causing it to hickup. I would go through all of the vacuum lines before screwing with the carbs.

Finally got to it tonight. The spring and washer dropped and are below the carbs on the rubber matting. What purpose is the spring if it is screwing into a fixed location?

With it not starting I need to focus on the other tasks, such as the vacuum lines

Top Bottom