Where is everyone

Bike
04 ST1300
These ST's are getting old and I think many spend more time in garages than they ever do being ridden. Just look at what the members now own, it's more likely to be German built than Japanese. That will only increase in the favour of the EU bikes too."

ST's are getting old and the owners aren't getting any younger. Hence more time in the garage.

Two weekends ago, I was on a 300+ mile ride with a fellow STeer thru IL and WI and did see one ST go by in the opposite direction. These bikes are still a head turner.

Bike
BMW K1100LT
We're in Tunisia and the majority of "proper" bikes, not the mopeds/scooters are either adventure bikes, mainly GS's with the odd Africa twin thrown in. If not those then you see a large number of HD's with French & Italian plates, given Italy & France are within easy reach of here via a 24hr ferry ride from mainland France & Italy or a shorter 10hr ferry from Sicily it's not surprising. We get a splattering of big touring bikes, ie Goldwings and BMW's along with sports bikes. We've seen a couple of ST1100's but these are of the police disposition along with Yamaha FJR's. Civilian ST's both 1100 & 1300 are as common here as rocking horse poop.

Bike
R1200rt
I don't get out much this year but when I was in Paris Tennessee in the middle of May I saw quite a few STs and an assortment of other tourers. :doh1:

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
I'm beginning to be more open-minded about fabbing a dog trailer to take Kaiser with me.
I came across someone recently who discussed buying a Harbor Freight lightweight trailer, and said it tracked straight and true behind his car and his bike. I've already bought a used ST hitch bar, as well as a proper trailer isolation wiring harness, neither of which is installed yet.
Truth is, I'm not much closer to the nearly $6K I'll need for a new Bushtec trailer, than when I started mentioning it here. I'm reluctant to drag an ugly, obvious backyard-engineered contraption behind my good looking motorbike.
This may be an ego problem I need to address, or the perfectionist in me.
I'll start on a study program to investigate the options for a functional item, over the more expensive fashionable one.
I've seen the trailer articles on st-owners, so maybe I should revisit them and find some local craftsmen.
It would sure avail me to ride more, as Kaiser goes with me nearly everywhere except the long, involved PC jobs.
I'm thinking people won't notice the trailer after they see the dog. Go for it!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Sorry, I was having dinner and dessert then watched two episodes of The Old Man and then pre-ordered a Top Gun Maverick DVD. And then watched Top Gun again.

Maybe next time.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
I've been bicycling in OR, ID, and MT for three weeks. I've seen hundreds of Harleys, bevies of BMWs, some Connie's, gaggles of adventure bikes, and a number of Goldwings. I've seen an Africa Twin and a Burgman (with sidecar, no less).

In all that time I've seen two, count them two, ST1100s and not a single ST1300. Need I remind you that the T in ST stands for "touring"?

C'mon people, represent! Or stop bashing HDs since they're out here and you aren't, at least that I've seen. Why have a very capable touring ride if you're not going to tour on it?
One more question and then I'll quit in this thread. Your info at the side says you live in MD.

Did you ride the bicycle from MD to Oregon to ID to MT or trailer-haul it?

OP
OP
ibike2havefun

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
One more question and then I'll quit in this thread. Your info at the side says you live in MD.

Did you ride the bicycle from MD to Oregon to ID to MT or trailer-haul it?
I flew to Oregon (with my bicycle, a foldable model that fits in a regular-sized Samsonite suitcase for ease of air travel) for a family reunion at the end of June.

When that ended, on 2 July, I began what will probably be a 13 or 14 week pedal back to my driveway in Maryland. So far I've had stupendously great weather and have been gobbling up the western scenery as eagerly as I can.

I've ridden from Bend through eastern Oregon, diagonally northeast through Idaho to Missoula Montana, and am now working east and south again from there. I should hit Yellowstone in a couple days.

scootac

Will Ride for Food
Been on the road for 2 weeks now. What the OP said. Many more HDs and BMWs than Hondas. Have seen 1.....ONE....ST1300.

I see more bicycles touring than STs!!!!
:doh1:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Been on the road for 2 weeks now. What the OP said. Many more HDs and BMWs than Hondas. Have seen 1.....ONE....ST1300.

I see more bicycles touring than STs!!!!
:doh1:
They still make them, you turn off the spiket you barely get a drip, it's not surprising at all.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I'm reluctant to drag an ugly, obvious backyard-engineered contraption behind my good looking motorbike.
This may be an ego problem I need to address, or the perfectionist in me.
Reminds me of a trailer I saw in a Salinas motel years ago during one of the Laguna Seca races.

It was attached to a BMW boxer, and was fabricated out of galvanized water pipe like you buy at Home Depot. There was so much crap attached to it I'm not sure what the axle and wheel setup was, but the part of the frame that was visible on top was a bunch of pipe/elbows/tees. At the top of the trailer cargo load was a small cage containing a live rat.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Reminds me of a trailer I saw in a Salinas motel years ago during one of the Laguna Seca races.
<snip>
At the top of the trailer cargo load was a small cage containing a live rat.
That must have been unique.
When I think of "rat bike", I'll admit I don't think of BMW! :rofl1:

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
That must have been unique.
When I think of "rat bike", I'll admit I don't think of BMW! :rofl1:
another thought just occurred to me regarding your application. Dogs in general like to look around at the scenery, and bark at passing motorcycles, and possibly other vehicles as well. A 100lb lunging dog attached to a motorcycle trailer hitch might have enough inertia to affect the handling of the bike, and an enclosure small enough to prevent moving around isn't being all that nice to the dog. Carrying enough dog food to last a week or two on the road isn't going to be a small package either. They can eat a little bit of people food, but its not all that good for them. My first GSD would wolf down a McD cheeseburger in one or two bites, chomp on it a bit, and then spit out the two or three pickle slices intact, never figured out how he did that.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
@dwalby that's one of the reasons I like the Bushtec Tow-Tow... not enough room to really "lunge", but sufficient room to turn around, sit, and lie down.
My dog is not reactive, and loves to ride in the car, not standing on the seats, but in the floor of my Honda Element. He likes to watch but doesn't jump around like the energizer bunny.
Also the reason I don't want a mono wheel, as 2 wheels will stabilize any weight shift.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
I flew to Oregon (with my bicycle, a foldable model that fits in a regular-sized Samsonite suitcase for ease of air travel) for a family reunion at the end of June.

When that ended, on 2 July, I began what will probably be a 13 or 14 week pedal back to my driveway in Maryland. So far I've had stupendously great weather and have been gobbling up the western scenery as eagerly as I can.

I've ridden from Bend through eastern Oregon, diagonally northeast through Idaho to Missoula Montana, and am now working east and south again from there. I should hit Yellowstone in a couple days.
That sounds like a serious ride on that bike! I think if you would have went with a Harley or maybe even a beeemr you could made it home in less than 10 weeks or so. :cool:

I doubt we'll pass in MN (or any of the other 9 states on the trip) next month but if we do I'll be the happy guy on the old S1300 (no T) waving at you. Enjoy the long ride home.

Top Bottom