Where is the 20-pin pink joint connector for grounds?

I've seen several mentions of it on this forum, but I can't find any photos or a description of where it's located on the bike.

The FSM shows a 20-pin pink "joint connector 2" that appears to join a bunch of grounds together. This is on the "'04 - '07 Deluxe" wiring diagram:
20230822_172351.jpg

20230822_172357.jpg

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Good timing for your question, as I have the connector exposed to do some preventive ground problems. This is the 4th ST that I’ve done, with no grounds problems afterwards. The connector is under the left middle cowl, up high above the radiator outlet. It isn’t pink, but the pink on the drawing may refer to identifying wire colors.

Here‘s the location, with the clear? rubber cover pulled back.

IMG_0458.jpeg

Here’s the modification that I use. I clip the 2 wires, going into the corner connector. I then solder the wires that originally went to the connector to a larger green wire that is then grounded to the frame. You can see the clipped ends sticking out of the connector. All you’re doing is bypassing the pin connection in the connector. 2 of the ones I’ve fixed had that corner pin melted.

IMG_0459.jpeg

OP
OP
gummycarbs
@Nashcat nope, that's the 24-pin white connector that's further down and left in the diagrams I posted. That one connects the horn, lights, bank angle sensor, temp sensor, dash, basically everything further forward on the bike to the rest of the wiring harness.

I'm looking for the 20-pin pink "joint connector 2" that connects a bunch of grounds together.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well done. I didn't know where it was. So presumably that is the 14P yellow connector next to it.

Just getting my bearings with the photo - This is looking down the rear of the airbox standing on the left hand side of the
e bike. The silver painted spar is the frame cross member under the rear of the tank, and you can just see the moulding into which the bolt for the main ground point is secured. Is that correct ?

There must be another yellow multiway connector - the one that melts is often described as being behind the headlights. But I reckon that those are the two in the diagram.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I went back out to look at my ‘06, and still can’t find the pink connector.

Here’s what the 20 pin in the connector under the cowl looks like, when it goes bad.

IMG_0096.jpeg

And….the yellow connector behind the right headlight, when it decided to act up.

IMG_0097.jpeg

OP
OP
gummycarbs
@wjbertrand it looks like the electrical tape wrapping the wire loom was cut back to reveal the pink and yellow junction connectors in your photo. Can you verify that this is the case?

I raised my tank today and went spelunking for the pink and yellow connectors using a USB endoscope. I couldn't see them, but I did see a lump in the wrapped wiring harness that looked about the right shape to be two junction connectors:

2023-08-23-20-43-19.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
@gummycarbs You haven’t mentioned why you’re looking for the pink connector. Are you having ground problems or just being curious. I looked some more on my bike and still haven’t found it. Maybe under the lower fuel tank?

John

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I have the recall grounding kit that was issued to plug into the pink plug. I uncovered that plug on my '04,,, while I was installing the bazzaz FI kit. It is located under the PAIR solenoid,,, more towards the LH side,,,, covered in a bit of tape. The recall kit that I purchased was from new old stock. And since my grounding issues cleared up,, I have never installed it. I believe that the fsm lists diagnostic harness plug-ins that were available at one time, for the pink port. Then,,, the recall kit was issued for '04-'05 bikes, as I recall,,, haha,,,, cheers,,, CAt'
20210202_223719.jpgkit1.jpg

OP
OP
gummycarbs
You haven’t mentioned why you’re looking for the pink connector.
Purely curiosity and a desire to get correct information out there for others. I think that the FSM wiring diagrams are simply omitting some pretty important details. I *know* the FSM diagrams have at least a couple of errors (wire color on the 'option' connector and 4-pin vs 14-pin description on a junction connector).

Then,,, the recall kit was issued for '04-'05 bikes, as I recall,,, haha,,,, cheers,,, CAt'
From what I've read, I'm pretty sure the ground recall was only for '03 and '04 models, but the instructions yielded some potentially helpful photos:

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
@wjbertrand it looks like the electrical tape wrapping the wire loom was cut back to reveal the pink and yellow junction connectors in your photo. Can you verify that this is the case?

I raised my tank today and went spelunking for the pink and yellow connectors using a USB endoscope. I couldn't see them, but I did see a lump in the wrapped wiring harness that looked about the right shape to be two junction connectors:

2023-08-23-20-43-19.png
I think that is correct. I believe this photo came from my quest to solve the misfire problem my ’05 was suffering. I didn’t find any bad or burned contacts in that gang ground point, so it was something to be crossed off my liST.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Well done. I didn't know where it was. So presumably that is the 14P yellow connector next to it.

Just getting my bearings with the photo - This is looking down the rear of the airbox standing on the left hand side of the
e bike. The silver painted spar is the frame cross member under the rear of the tank, and you can just see the moulding into which the bolt for the main ground point is secured. Is that correct ?

There must be another yellow multiway connector - the one that melts is often described as being behind the headlights. But I reckon that those are the two in the diagram.
Correct, the throttle bodies are to the left in that photo. You can see the top of the fuel pressure regulator there, mounts to the fuel rail. The air cleaner assembly is removed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom