Where were you when the mountain blew...Mt.St. Helens???

Ross Smith

Ross
Bike
1999 St1100
Was living in Calgary and visiting my folks in Kootenay lake, BC. Woke up next morning hearing about it on the radio and saw everything under about 1/4 - 1/2" of ash. Thought it had snowed at first.

Bike
2011 Honda ST1300
Watch a couple of videos about the Mt St Helens eruption on Youtube last night, mostly was reminscing (probably 20years on) by some people who were involved very closely. Very chilling, sobering stuff.

OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Happy volcano day....!!!
41 years ago it was just starting to fall from the sky....... An hour from now you couldn't see across the street.
T

Grand Rouge

Site Supporter
Bike
05 ST / 83 GS 1100E
A fine Mature thread here. I was near Florence Oregon......looking down at the Sea Lions....barking and smelly they were. I was on a 5 day motorcycle meet up. My older brother and I rode to Oregon from Vancouver BC..... departed Friday Morning. I was mounted on my absolutely brand new 1980 Interstate.....purchased evening before.....brother on a sand cast Honda 750

On that Sunday 41 years ago..... had met up with California living younger brother on a 76 Gold Wing and brother in law on an XS 1100 Special. Was raining that day. (We had initially met up in Bend Friday night). First awareness of the Eruption was the approach of 2 of the ugliest shade of brown / grey colored BMW twins. Yikes.....was ash of course from Mount Saint Helens.

The ride back home to coastal British Columbia was an adventure........ rain or fog most of the route. Stayed on the coast as much as possible....Ash along roads / highways looked like the sand infested slush courtesy of highway department snow clearing. we rode in the 'ruts' for many many miles. Was not too bad once we reached central coast of Washington State. Gauze masks, normally sold for maybe 25 cents. Not sure if needed, but noticed that at gas stations, were selling for 2 to 5 dollars! I elected to just not breath for the day. Ha.

After arriving home safely, I took a week to remove all the plastic from my new Interstate. Most of the metal bits too. Tossed a dirty air filter.....etc... The ash /water mixture if not properly cleaned off...hardened like concrete.

I remember this date always. I have visited Mount Saint Helens many times since. Nature is flourishing.....all seems well enough.....characters that many of us met before and soon after that event are remembered still..

I am glad that others here remember this date. D Reagh........ 2005 ST 1300 and owned since new 83 Suzuki GS 1100E

Last edited:

ColinW1981

Site Supporter
Bike
'06 ST1300A
STOC #
Was working as a 'box boy' at Roth's IGA in West Salem, Oregon. We had to keep sweeping off the sideway in front of the doors to the store. No doubt I inhaled alot of ash. :oops:

Styles

2000 Non-ABS
Bike
'00 ST1100
STOC #
Happy volcano day....!!!
41 years ago it was just starting to fall from the sky....... An hour from now you couldn't see across the street.
T
Thanks for your reminder, Todd. You'll recall my post about having a St.-Helens book proposal rejected. I forgot to say there it was my daughter-in-law's ninth birthday. She had a dark day down wind in Yakima. We've given her a sunnier, compensatory 50th-b'day gift today. "Go celebrate!" we advised.

Styles

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Happy volcano day....!!!
T
41 years ago? Why do I instantly feel older that I was a minute ago. Thanks Todd...Actually with the kids going to University, becoming empty nesters, I am old. Perhaps a nice long road trip on two would fix that, and that's coming I believe. I cant recall where I was back then, maybe another sign of being vintage. I must have been starting High school...oh there is why I don't recall, I was a teenager and maybe partied a bit.

I was racing a RD400 at Seattle International Raceway. No one heard it or saw it, and most of us paid little attention until they announced that any Oregon people needed to head home immediately as the freeway would probably be closed within a few hours. Almost no ash at all in the Seattle area" it all went east.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
41 years ago, I was flying home to Vancouver from Edmonton and had a birds eye view of the mushroom cloud that the smoke and dust created above the cloud line in that area. Window seat, port side, What a spectacular site from a 30,000' to a 5000' foot decent. I must of been 200 miles as the crow flies north east of the volcano.
Looking back, I'm not sure if I was aware of what caused this or heard about it on the evening news that night. We also experienced the aftermath of a light dusting in Vancouver too on the streets and cars.

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #
It blew on a Sunday morning, so you weren't actually in class, right?
For some reason I had it in my head that it was a Wednesday.

But, thanks to your kind, friendly and albeit gentle reminder I can now assume that I was sitting on the Massey Ferguson somewhere out on the acreage.

Have a nice day.

OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
8:32am Sunday, May 18th. Heard the boom from almost 200 miles away. Sounded like a jet breaking the sound barrier in the distance.
T

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
For some reason I had it in my head that it was a Wednesday.
good to know Mrs. Stafford wasn't so strict she made you go to school 7 days a week.

I was well to the south in Orange County CA, so no boom heard, all I remember is seeing it on the news that night.

OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Well, here we are now 42 years later. On the eve of destruction .........
Still an incredible memory.
T

Grand Rouge

Site Supporter
Bike
05 ST / 83 GS 1100E
I had departed North Vancouver BC the morning of the 16th with my older brother......he was riding a sand cast CB750 and I was riding my brand new....took delivery May 15....at night.....Honda Interstate...1 of only 2 in western Canada. We met up with younger brother and our brother in law...out of the Sacramento CA area Friday night in Bend Oregon. On the 17th we headed West and camped at a KOA in Coos Bay Oregon. Sunday the 18th.....we were in Florence Oregon. Seal Lion Caves below and south of our position. Our first indication that 'Something' had happened.....2 or 3 motorcycles approached us.....covered as we soon discovered......in ash......that was almost concrete-like.....as they had ridden south in the rain. Shortly after, in a cafe....TV on....Wow....

Riding North on Monday..heading back to North Vancouver...... rain almost all the way.......and for sure.....thinking maybe mid way on Oregon coast...and certainly in Washington State........the ash on the roads looked like dirty snow...snow that had been sanded.....we rode in the open tracks created by the cages and semi trucks...... because center of the lanes had in some areas 6 of more inches of the stuff, and on the pavement edges, even deeper. Unbelievable and almost surreal. Pulling off for fuel, folks we noticed many folks either covering their faces......some had masks..... the masks......the white 'industrial' style...nose clip........for sale.....$5.00 each. Me, I just decided I would hold my breath for a few hours.

Unforgettable day ......and too.....leading up to the May 18 Explosion.... / Eruption......the characters we met through the magic of Television.....interested new crews.....interviewing a cast of characters......All of us remembered ..I still do... Harry R Truman. 83 years on the earth.

Top Bottom