Which Cruise Control?

I am sure not the best person to reply, but from what I can tell in the little research I have done, I'm going to stay manual. (Throttle Meister). The electronic MC looks not bad, but my biggest concern with it is the vacuum "bulb" that has to be installed. I've seen different versions of where people have mounted it, and each one I am not sure I like personally.

That being said, it's all up to you. I know the MC works, and so do the manual ones. I think it really comes down to looks and really, in the end... Money.

Dave...

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
McCruise makes an electronic like your car,

VistaCruise is a simple friction throttle lock,

Throttlemeister is a more advanced throttle lock,

Brakeaway is one of the best throttle locks,

I guess it just depends on what you're looking for.

Gordon

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Hi there,

Ok this is where I plug the MCCruise:
MCCruise Website

Now obviously it's going to cost more than any other solutions out there but if you want REAL cruise control then it's the solution. Very well constructed and the kit is surprisingly easy to install. I did it as a winter project.

I didn't like any of the clamp/twist style because I had just gotten rid of the Ultra Classic and really enjoyed the cruise on it.

If you're interested in buying one talk with their US distributor Joe Sears.
Spoiled Biker.com

Here's my write up on the MCCruise:
MCCruise Install Tutorial Supplemental

So if you need a real cruise I think it's the easiest one to install overall. The actuator does stick out a little under the left side panel but honestly there isn't a lot of room for it. It's black though so it doesn't stick out that much. Personally I didn't care about how it looked too much. I wanted the full functioning cruise.

Curt

Last edited:

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
The Dakota Digital looks interesting and would take less space. The directions though are not tailored to the ST1300 and would leave a lot of questions in my mind as to whether it is hooked up correctly and that it would not interfere with the operation of the regular throttle controls. Also the instructions are hand drawings. MCCruise provides a fully assembled wiring harness and a thirty page instruction manual with full sets of pictures for installation.

It does look like it would be smaller and take less space. Not sure. You would have to find someone I think that has tried it. I think it would be a good one to try if you're familiar with cruise controls. Since I was doing it for the first time I chose the one that has been proven to work.

If anyone has tried the Dakota one please post your expierence. I'm curious as to how it compares but I doubt we'll find someone that has done both.

Hey Curt.

A little off topic, but I had a question regarding the installation of your MC cruise.

How did you mount the cruise switches? Is that a custom mount or is it included with the cruise kit?

I ask because I have an Autocom unit with a switch for VOX ON/OFF plus Push to talk. The botton mount for the Autocom has a plactic bit that is supposed to mount right up agaist the handlebars (has a curve). Now on my Shadow that was not a big deal, but for the ST, this is not really an option. Your mount seems to attach to something on the bike that may help me.

Dave...

Last edited:

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
crazykz said:
Hi there,

Ok this is where I plug the MCCruise:
MCCruise Website

Now obviously it's going to cost more than any other solutions out there but if you want REAL cruise control then it's the solution. Very well constructed and the kit is surprisingly easy to install. I did it as a winter project.

I didn't like any of the clamp/twist style because I had just gotten rid of the Ultra Classic and really enjoyed the cruise on it.

If you're interested in buying one talk with their US distributor Joe Sears.
Spoiled Biker.com

Here's my write up on the MCCruise:
MCCruise Install Tutorial Supplemental

So if you need a real cruise I think it's the easiest one to install overall. The actuator does stick out a little under the left side panel but honestly there isn't a lot of room for it. It's black though so it doesn't stick out that much. Personally I didn't care about how it looked too much. I wanted the full functioning cruise.

Curt
Couldn't agree more with Curt. I too have a McCruise and it's just a damn well built system with excellent documentation. Plus the boys down under are very responsive when you've got questions. I had several great conversations with them and they were quick to get back on e-mail inquiries as well. They take a lot of pride in their work. Here's a shot of one option for mounting the controller.

Good luck!!!

Attachments

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
I have found the Audiovox electronic cruise control to be fantastic. I have it figured out for the ST1300 after installing it on mine. A friend and I installed one on his ST1300 last Friday. Under $100, that's tough to beat.

I am working on a write up so anyone wanting to install one on an ST1300 can do so very easily with step by step instructions and pictures.

Ray

Attachments

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Berzins said:
How did you mount the cruise switches? Is that a custom mount or is it included with the cruise kit?
Hey Dave,

Well I didn't like the way MCCruise wanted to mount the switches so I came up with my own way. You're right that the ST doesn't give any standard handlebar room. MCCruise has you file the clamp to allow for their switch mount which is fine but I didn't want to do it. Honestly I may still do that but my solution works well too.

I just bought the rammount clamp and put it between the bushing for that and the rammount. Works well.

Pic of MC switch mount with Rammount clamp

Here's the clamp I bought to do it (RAM-HB2):
It's on this page at CycleGadgets

Curt

OP
OP
Thank You

Thanks everyone, It looks like I will get the MCC. I have never liked audio-vox because of quality and the throttle locks are out of the question (I need the safety of brake release). I really appreciate everyone's help in this matter. Thank You

Ray, is that the Audiovox CCS-100 you installed? Very interested to hear how you did it. You were going to do a write up on it. Got any quick condensed info you can post in the meantime? There was a post on MSN about mounting the throttle linkage (or rather had an improved method) of mounting it and now I can't find it anywhere. (at least I think it was on MSN, can't find it here either).

Top Bottom