Who would be interested in a Honda Carb Sync Tool "Rental"?

Bike
1993 ST1100
Who would be interested in a Honda Carb Idle Mixture Tool "Rental"?

With so many people asking about the official Honda idle mixture tool I wanted to throw this out there and see who would be interested.
Like the 40amp upgrade kit which gets shared I would be happy to offer mine out as a loaner.
This is what I propose.
I would pay shipping borrower + ask for $5 donation as a "rental",this would off-set the purchase price as you all know it's expensive,once I reach 10 or so "rentals" it would be free other than shipping.
You pay to ship back to me or next member that needs it.All I would ask is that you are ready to use it when it arrives and be ready to ship back or to next member within 7 days.
What do you think?
Michael

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
With so many people asking about the official Honda idle mixture tool...
Seems you're mixing some things together here...
Idle adjust(rich/lean) and carb(flap) sync are two completely different tasks...

Sure can one do either/or/and while already in there, but...

I'd complete the idle(screw) adjustment tool loaner with a Colourtune, as the idle-drop method seems a tat inaccurate and emission probes also fail due to the crossovers in the exhaust...

As for the sync-tool is the question if barometric manometers wouldn't suffer from getting banged around during shipment... the UK made Carbtune appears more shock resistant...

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Re: Who would be interested in a Honda Carb Idle Mixture Tool "Rental"?

With so many people asking about the official Honda idle mixture tool I wanted to throw this out there and see who would be interested.
Like the 40amp upgrade kit which gets shared I would be happy to offer mine out as a loaner.
This is what I propose.
I would pay shipping borrower + ask for $5 donation as a "rental",this would off-set the purchase price as you all know it's expensive,once I reach 10 or so "rentals" it would be free other than shipping.
You pay to ship back to me or next member that needs it.All I would ask is that you are ready to use it when it arrives and be ready to ship back or to next member within 7 days.
What do you think?
Michael
Thank you for volunteering to do this !! I'm in for sure !!

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
JuST a comment by a loooong-time tools loaner.* If you're going to loan out the Honda special tool for the idle drop procedure, please add to the kit a quality meter that can read the 50 rpm drop accurately. Expensive, yes, but the pilot screw tool needs one to do the procedure right. JMHO

John
* STOC ST1100/ST1300 free loaner special tools kits: link
via iPhone 6

Last edited:

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
I don't know if it is worth anything or not. I have a old mercury, four tube, carb sync tool that my father used on his Goldwing. Does anyone know if it is still a viable tool?? Has all the mercury in it. Stored verticle whole life.

I don't need it for anything. If a member can use it...first to ask ....gets. You pay shipping or pick up.

ToddC

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Todd, I spilled the mercury in mine a long time ago, and can't buy replacement mercury because its now considered a hazardous material or some such thing. If there is some way you could pour the mercury into a sealed container, and legally ship it (not sure what the rules would be on that these days) I'd be interested.

thanks,

Doug

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Todd, I spilled the mercury in mine a long time ago, and can't buy replacement mercury because its now considered a hazardous material or some such thing. If there is some way you could pour the mercury into a sealed container, and legally ship it (not sure what the rules would be on that these days) I'd be interested.

thanks,

Doug
In AZ right now. Let me contact you first of next week. I'd rather let someone have the hole tool. Shipping may an issue , need to check it out.

ToddC

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
In AZ right now. Let me contact you first of next week. I'd rather let someone have the hole tool. Shipping may an issue , need to check it out.ToddC
yeah, it seems like nobody wants to touch mercury these days, so your best option would be to find someone who will come pick up the entire tool at your house. Shipping the tool with mercury inside it would be even more problematic than shipping the mercury in a small container, because the tool is not liquid-tight.

Bike
2011 BMW R1200GS
STOC #
You guys might want to consider an SK Flowmeter as opposed to some sort of manometer for performing carb synchs. Having done it both ways (SK and Morgan Carbtune) the SK Flowmeter is much easier to use to synch carbs than a manometer IMHO. You can search around on this site to learn about the SK and do a Google search for vendors that sell the SK to check pricing.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
I have a free (poSTage only) loaner SK Flowmeter for anyone wanting to try one. Comes with my hand-made 90 degree 'elbow' attachment to make the job much easier. FYI FWIW

John
via iPhone6

Bike
94' 1100 ABS
I'm in on the tool rental. Is there a good write up for the Carb Tune, I really could use some advice. I also have the SK meter.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
yeah, it seems like nobody wants to touch mercury these days, so your best option would be to find someone who will come pick up the entire tool at your house. Shipping the tool with mercury inside it would be even more problematic than shipping the mercury in a small container, because the tool is not liquid-tight.

You are all right on all responses...

I think shipping my old mercury setup is a no go. So, anyone wanting this will need to pick up here in the Seattle area. Thanks for the interest.

ToddC_20160401_183726.jpg

Top Bottom