Why are USA and UK (European direct import) silencer part numbers different?

Bike
st1100 + sidecar
Why are the part numbers for the silencers (end cans) different for the USA and european direct sales models for the ST1100Y. They have a different appearance at the end.

Bike
VStrom 650
Didn't know they did, but can't say it suprises me too much.
I'd have a wild guess at noise regs, can't see it being emissions.
Upt'North.

OP
OP
Bike
st1100 + sidecar
First photo is USA version second the UK version, its the bit at the very end thats different and the different part numbers.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Maybe it's my old eyes, but I can not see ANY difference between those two ends at all.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Maybe it depends which end? Is that pipe in the pic on the left part of the muffler assembly whereas the other on the right looks to be a more of a slip-on bit?

But I can't see any difference in the exits.

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
I can see an extra bit of material, a ring at the exit. Making the exit just a little farther out Really minor difference

OP
OP
Bike
st1100 + sidecar
Its the extra metal bit that directs the exhaust downwards the USA version does not have this its more of an open end. I agree its very hard to see from the pics. I have both versions in my shed and in the flesh its is obvious. I was woundering if I can fit USA version to my UK bike without affection back flow, carbs etc.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I noticed this difference a few years ago, when I was riding my Canadian-spec ST 1100 in the UK, and met up with a UK rider.

I have seen similar differences in automobile exhaust pipes. I believe that there is a rule in Europe (or, possibly just the UK) that requires that exhaust gases be directed downward, rather than horizontally out the back of the vehicle.

Michael

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I would suspect that the biggest difference is most likely the writing that is stamped in to them. An UK bike will need to have the UK standards that it must meet stamped in to it while the US one will have the US standards stamped in to it.
I doubt that there is any performance difference of any significance and am sure that either one will perform just fine on either model and will have no measurable effects on the engine.

OP
OP
Bike
st1100 + sidecar
Thankyou for your replies, would it be legal to fit US silencers to a Uk bike ridden in the UK?

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Different (EC) noise emission regs for '96 onwards...
Difference determined my the middle group in the P/N: -MT3- (<'95) vs -MAJ- (>'96)...

... transmitted from a CAT S60 thing ...

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I have no idea what the laws are in the UK. What I can tell you is what the law is here is or rather was a few years ago when I received a ticket for "illegal" exhaust on another bike I had that had aftermarket mufflers. I fought the ticket and won. The law here is that you can put any exhaust you like on a vehicle as long as it does not allow the vehicle to be noisier than the exhaust that came original from the manufacturer does. (There are other criteria but I am limiting my response to noise regulations.) The judge ruled that the police officer who issued the ticket needed to prove that the exhaust that I had allowed the vehicle to be noisier than the original exhaust in order to determine that I broke the law and that he had grounds to issue a ticket. He further stated that the officer had choices in that the law allows him to conduct a road-side decibel meter test (if he has been trained / certified to conduct such a test) or he could have issued me a citation notifying me that I had to go for inspection / testing. He chose the easy way out and did neither so he lost. What is my point in all of this? At the end of the day if you want to be absolutely certain that you will be legal you will need to check the regulations in your jurisdiction.

Bike
VStrom 650
I think if any MOT tester sees OEM pipes on your bike regardless of original market destination it will pass. Best way to be sure, pop down to your testing station and ask to read testing guidelines and pick the testers brains. They may be available online and I suspect it will say if it's rotten, loose, too loud or marked not for road use it's a fail.
Upt'North.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I think if any MOT tester sees OEM pipes on your bike regardless of original market destination it will pass.
I concur with that thought. My guess is that once an inspector sees the word "Honda" on the silencer, they won't bother to look further, unless for some reason you have pissed them off and they are out to crucify you.

Michael

Top Bottom