Why I own a Harley Davidson

Terminator2

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
Tell me about it. My roomie has been wrenching for 50 years on HD. He currently is retired, yet works at a HD shop. I've heard plenty about bad engineering decisions, marketing decisions etc. He owns two HD's. He recommended I check out Honda ST1300's (back in 2015) when I was hell bent on purchasing a Harley V Rod. Go figure, lol.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
We all ride a Harley. Every 3 years when you see your wife's cousins husband at a funeral they will always ask "You still riding those Harley's? I had one back in the 80's, Wife made me sell it." After about 12 years I just say "Yup, bikes rule dude" and slowly walk away.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I've had 5 Harleys... 3 big twins, 2 Sportsters. (six if you count the Italian Aermacchi badged Harley I bought new in 1965 ...my first street bike). The Sportsters were ok except for the suspension and vibrations above 55 mph. I never cared for the big twins, slow, poor handling, poor brakes, poor suspension, but kept buying them thinking the next one would be better than the last, but they never got any better. The '95 Dyna Convertible I test rode was the best, but I had just bought the '94 Sportster and was still enjoying it. I admit I haven't ridden a big twin Harley since the Road King I test rode in 2006 and I thought it was terrible. Maybe they are better now? Doesn't matter.

I'm not in it for the image, and just find the Japanese bikes suit me better than the American, Italian, German, British or Austrian bikes do. I've owned 5 Harleys and 1 Aermacchi Harley, 13 Hondas, 4 Suzukis, 1 Kawasaki ,9 Yamahas (+ a bunch of Yamaha MX bikes),1 Triumph, and 1 BSA, and have test ridden Indians, Ducati's, BMW's, Moto Guzzi's and KTM's. I worked in the m/c industry from 1972-1989.

However, if I found something that suited me better, I would buy it, no matter the name on the tank badge.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I have matured as a rider, and no longer feel the need to bash the Harleys... heck, everyone does.
As a reminder, as my profession is a marketer, I have high regard for The Motor Company's branding success, and promoting not only their mechanical products, but the entire "lifestyle" concept, for that is what it is.
Now having said that, and I have here in times past as well, I've never had any interest in owning one. Not one. Not ever.
My cousin had a 19-something 25th anniversary edition Electra Glide when I was a teen, and he let me ride it. Nothing memorable about it, in the least.
In my perception - and perception IS reality - they are overpriced, underperforming motors for what they are, and what they cost. And I don't need a "hot rod" any more, and may never buy another sport bike, but yet won't rule that out, either.
Perhaps it's the outlaw crowd, even though they're the fringe, perhaps it's the fact that cruiser riders in general are the least skilled I've ever witnessed, or maybe it's those who insist on installing the loudest and most obnoxious noise-makers on their engines, and then commence to revving the snot out of them at stoplights and scaring little kids, and causing resentment toward us all by non-riders. Then they justify their idiocy by lying to us with that tired, old, "loud pipes save lives" bull crap.
Still and all, in the end, I don't judge them as I used to.
And heck -- Larry could ride a 1973 3.5hp yellow Sears minbike, and he would still have my respect.
His personal Harley does actually look pretty good, as an aside.

Walleye

Site Supporter
Bike
99 ST 1100
Yea, I just cannot understand why Pete Buttigieg has not come after this company and get them and the extremist that ride them off our roads, What are we paying him for.

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
I've ridden some traditional Harleys over the years - either friend's bikes or demos. The only one I kind of liked was a recent model Road King with the Milwaukee Eight engine. It was much better than any of the previous ones I had ridden.

OP
OP
Igofar

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
While having owned more Harley Davidson's than I can recall, there is not a single new model that speaks to me.
The quality control is horrible, and the new M8 engines are dropping like flies.
And when you do have any kind of warranty issue with Harley Davidson now a days, they always fight it, and deny your claim.
I'll stick with restoring the old iron just because I like living in the good old days.
00M0M_i7ip5VCyZvtz_0x20oM_1200x900.jpg00x0x_fs2PnQSPyrW_1200x900.jpg00y0y_japVI72bMOuz_0CI0iP_1200x900.jpgDSC02297-1.jpgDSC05333.JPGIMG_1531.JPGIMG_2067 (2).JPGi-MKJGs5z-XL.jpgi-hFkC9Pq-XL.jpg

Why I pick on Harleys,
Because I ride mostly Kawasakis, or known also as Kawasuckmes. It is to me, in fun as it is all the same wind and everyone is building good bikes.
I have engaged in the same thing with other brands. I am going to wave at all riders, including scooters. We all who ride deserve the respect on the road.
But I will still pick on Harleys just like I won't have a Chevy or a Dodge in my garage, ( I am not going to mention the Subaru in the driveway)
It is all in fun and not intended to be hostile which I do try to be clear.

OP
OP
Igofar

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I get a kick out of all the folks who pigeon hole Harley riders into the "loud pipes save lives" group, and gangs.
Every year, in Monterey California, on cannery row, after the GP races, there are hundreds of bikes lined up and showing off on cannery row at night.
And most, if not all of them, are "gangs" with their lifted, lowered, custom painted, extremely loud, crotch rockets, drinking beer, and banging the RPM's off the rev-limiters.
Listen to a hundred of these screaming, and bouncing off the rev-limiters is often a lot louder than the baggers now a days.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
No one here has said Harley riders are the only ones with loud pipes or obnoxious attitudes.
@motornut said it well.
But the leather vest-clad cruisers make an easy target, as do the Beemer crowd at Starbucks, the Dairy Queen-chasing, satin-jacket-wearing GoldWing couples, and the squids -- excuse me, I mean sportbike riders, and every other stereotype out there.
Heck, even the Army pokes fun at the Air Force, the Marines dis the Navy (but what do they know, anyway?), and everyone makes fun of the Coast Guard.
But we'll all come together to defend our country, just as all decent riders will stand together at the end of the day.
We call it tribalism, and it's been going on since before Cain picked up his rock.
But the dude in that video shoulda checked his oil level...

Top Bottom