Why MotoGP riders use the rear brake 70% of every lap

Bike
R1200rt
Very Interesting! but the most important line "This is just one example of how the art and science of riding a MotoGP bike has very little to do with everyday motorcycling. "

Ryan_B

Site Supporter
Bike
2016 Honda ST1300PA
That is interesting thank you for sharing!

Growing up we pretty much lived on Huffy one speed BMX bicycles (reverse the pedal rear brake only). I ran my paper route with this bike and pretty much rebuilt/rode that same bike for 10 years. I have never been comfortable with front brakes on motorcycles, but extremely comfortable with rear brakes (I used to slide my Moto Guzzi all the time and didn't think anything of it). I knew rationally that my front brakes provided much more braking and did use them, just like 80% rear/20% front and only if additional stopping was required. My basic rider trainer/instructor did kind of chew me out for that, but I was comfortable with it and didn't really adjust after the class. Plus, all the dirt bike riders were doing it and seemed comfortable as well. ;-)

Anyway! Moving to the ST1300 it has forced me to use front brakes, and it is a much heavier bike - but the first thing I noticed was how "unstable" it felt tipping forward at every stop. I guess I was just used to the weight nearly always staying on the back wheel and the front not diving. I did adjust the rear spring, and have since learned to appreciate how quickly the ST stops. But I probably would have never adjusted without the linked brake system.

Ryan

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Mayhaps your fork needs rebuilding. That vastly improved my Nighthawk 750.

I bought my 1100 with a Traxxion Dynamics built fork, and it has very little dive.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Try pushing an XR750 around an oval track with no front brake at all etc.
You don't even need to use the rear brake, just crank the throttle some more, and pitch'er sideways.

Ryan_B

Site Supporter
Bike
2016 Honda ST1300PA
Mayhaps your fork needs rebuilding. That vastly improved my Nighthawk 750.

I bought my 1100 with a Traxxion Dynamics built fork, and it has very little dive.
Maybe! It only has 6k miles on it though. Honestly just think I was riding it wrong and was hyper aware to front end movement because of how heavy it is (in comparison to the Moto Guzzi). Now that I am comfortable with the weight/handling/power I haven't noticed excessive dip and I am braking properly now. Also I have ridden a goldwing and a couple of vulcans since then, the st1300 is much tighter than they are.

Ryan

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I think most Harley riders are familiar with pushing their bikes, but I'm not sure how the front/rear brakes have any bearing on that discussion. :biggrin:
Most dirt track bikes only have rear brakes.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Another racer, forget who... Kevin Schwantz I believe, said he used the rear brake twice.
And crashed both times.
So he promoted NEVER using the rear brake.
I believe he raced Superbike though, before he opened his track school with Suzuki.
My opinion (OPINION, mind you, because I was never a racer) was, "Well Kevin then you're obviously using it WRONG!"

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
I love the science of two wheel riding, mostly because I’m no artist. This was an interesting read as he describes why he is using the rear brake.
I learned the same as @Ryan_B it may have been because my mother didn’t want me doing rooster tails in her lawn. When I got my first “free wheeling” hub and two brake levers on the pedal bike the learning started again.
If I’m not mistaken there are 3 ways to stabilize the bike, throttle control and braking,(personally) using both during entry, through the turn, and exiting. Art would be how long and where in the process to apply them. Dragging the rear brake keeps the bike settled for me, and that third way, the kickstand. Full disclosure; I ride the ST for the S part.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Maybe! It only has 6k miles on it though. Honestly just think I was riding it wrong and was hyper aware to front end movement because of how heavy it is (in comparison to the Moto Guzzi). Now that I am comfortable with the weight/handling/power I haven't noticed excessive dip and I am braking properly now. Also I have ridden a goldwing and a couple of vulcans since then, the st1300 is much tighter than they are.

Ryan
I was surprised how dirty the fork oil was when I changed mine. You may want to consider a flush and clean. It will tighten up the front.

Bike
2003 ST1300
"Trail Braking" also comes to mind here. There's been a lot of stories about use of brakes - especially front brakes in turns.
Although I'm not an aggressive rider, the use of trail braking seems to help at times.

Bike
st1300 vfr800
On our Tz's we would cut down the rear pads so that less then half was left , front brakes did all the work and sometimes rear wheel was in the air . Not sure we did it right but seemed to go quickly at times .

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks, Danilo talks about using his thumb brake: I guess the ST LBS is in fact a built-in thumb brake? Thumbs up to Honda for making it easy on us.

See here at 1:20

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
Trail braking is your friend! My rear brake is used whenever I come to a stop... I use the front after I come to a complete stop. Top heavy bikes and slow speeds are a pain with front braking only. I can't believe the people who say they never use their rear brake. :nuts:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Top heavy bikes and slow speeds are a pain with front braking only. I can't believe the people who say they never use their rear brake. :nuts:
People learn differently, some will stick with what they've learned, despite evidence of "a better way."
The fact of the matter is, any bike will stop in a shorter distance while using both the front and the rear brakes. Further, in an "oh CRAP!" moment, you're highly unlikely to brake differently than the way you do it day in and day out, which is why we emphasize PRACTICE the proper technique on a regular basis.
We're creatures of habit, and will fall into what they have done over and over and over. Of course, some people are simply loathe to learn new things or new ways... and I'm NOT pointing to anyone here, as I don't know everyone that well... I'm speaking in generalities.
I can say I have seen a lot of strangeness, and a lot of humanity, in coaching MSF classes for 12 years.
Personally, I really like learning new / better ways of doing things, and usually the very best riders are lifelong learners. We can ALL learn something, even if we learn we don't wanna do it THAT way... :biggrin:

Top Bottom