Wilbers Rear Shock For ST1100

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well, since one of my ladies feels like I am riding a pogo stick when I hit a bump, I researched what is available for rear shocks.
Ohlins appears to be the best, but they no longer offer ST1100 models.
I have Works Pro Racers on three of them, but it takes forever to get one of them rebuilt through Worx (daughter of the founder restarted company).
Hagon has a good offering but Wilbers seems to be rated a little better.
So I went for a Wilbers without the low/high external 'canister' compression adjustment since I pretty much ride solo 99% of the time.
When I get it in my hands, get it installed, and get some miles I'll report back here.

The Cheese

Look forward to hearing about it. I think Pat has one. @sirepair

I'm pretty happy with my Penske. Did you consider them?

I had a Worx on my last bike. I too had it rebuilt. Could have been easier. Least it was cheap. Shock was great, customer service could have been better.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Pat has a Hagon on his white ST1100.
I didn't consider Penske as it never crossed my feeble mind.
If this works out well, I'll probably replace my Works with them as they die rather than deal with the Worx repair process.
Kent at Computrac recommended Wilber and he also can rebuild them - which is a big plus to me.

Bike
'06 ST 1300
STOC #
seeing that my plan was to sell my 1100 I just bought a progressive shock for it bit now i'm thinking about keeping it for a couple years and enjoying it

The Cheese

Kent can rebuild the Penske too. He did mine. Just to muddy the conversation a little more. :biggrin:

If you feel that strongly I'll take em. Have em rebuilt then sell off for cheap. Just to keep them from dying on a shelf. Or you could mail them direct to other 11s that need them. They could do the leg work.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Kent can rebuild the Penske too. He did mine. Just to muddy the conversation a little more. :biggrin:
That's good to know. They appear to be about the same and at about the same price point as the Wilbers.
And since Wilbers is a German product, my ST1100 may start acting like a Barvarian Tractor after installation. :biggrin:
Kent said that Works would not share information so that he could rebuild them.
I just wish Worx 'customer service' was just that ... ;)

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
Having owned both, I think Wilbers beats Ohlins. I've had work done by Kent, and he is closer, but I use Klaus Huenecke at EPM Performance for Wilbers and Hyperpro.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Methinks you gonna like it UP...
When riding I'm amazed again and again how well my Wilbers kit handles any dents in the road with ease, keeping the rear (hence the whole bike) glued to the road like a raw steak to a glass plate...
But then I've the big kit, piggyback expansion vessel, hydraulic preload adjuster... helps a lot to cope with the varying payloads I'm hauling along.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
This arrived today, On my birthday last mont I ordered a hagon with a remote preload adjuster. My 2002 came with a works pro. There was 62k kms (40k miles) on the bike when I bought it. I'm the second owner. as you can see in the third photo the shock is gone south.
I installed the Hagon unit late this afternoon, and took it for a test ride, just rolling out of the driveway there was a notable difference. None of my previous ST's handled this well. (both had a progressive 465) The bike is planted! it's like riding on rails, firm and smooth! It's like riding a new bike only better.
It was some coin but money well spent. UP you is gonna have one expensive month cause, if that Wilber is better than the Hagon you will be riggen those other Ladies in short order.

Attachments

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
It’s hard to find a rear shock for this bike. WORX quoted me over $800 US when they come available, RaceTech quoted me $1100US when they came available. Progressive were close to $500 and not available. (Customs and duty on top of that)
This is custom built for me, my riding style, loads etc. For me to get the Works unit rebuilt was not practical. Local shock rebuilders we’re going to charge me $200 just to look at it, they still had to be able to get parts for it which may or may not be available. WORX in California would charge me $75 to look at it, mailing it to California is not practical for me and given what your postal service is going through, that’s a non starter.
Given what I paid for the bike and upgrading the shock i’m Still in good shape.

Trvmtchll

Site Supporter
Bike
1995 ST-1100
STOC #
Man you guys are making it harder for me to pick a new rear shock been looking at the hagon to replace my worn out non rebuildable progressive but I’m also trying to stay budget friendly....

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
The problem with Progressive is that their shock is 'rebuildable' until they decide it isn't. :biggrin:
I have that confirmation from a good friend and ST1100 rider (see above post:cool:).
And yes, Worx does not 'like' other folks to rebuild their stuff.
The ST1100 should really like the Wilbers built in Germany because the ST1100 was designed by Honda of Germany not Honda of Japan. ;)

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
... just rolling out of the driveway there was a notable difference...
Switching from a defective item to a/ny new shock is a significant contrast...

Yeah one can sink some money there... totally worth it though... :cool:
Due the improved safety in stopping, handling and cornering not only for the ambitioned rider...

Adding a few options one can easily exceed € 1000,- there....

One should consider the demand profile...
- solo
- solo with luggage
- 2 up
- 2 up with luggage
resulting a payload range between 100~250kg/220~550lbs...
Adding the 312kg/700lbs of the bike were talking >1/2 a ton of a motorcycle coming down the road...
Anyone still wondering about the enormous brakes they'd put on that thing? ;)

Bike
ST1100A 2001
It’s hard to find a rear shock for this bike. WORX quoted me over $800 US when they come available, RaceTech quoted me $1100US when they came available. Progressive were close to $500 and not available. (Customs and duty on top of that)
This is custom built for me, my riding style, loads etc. For me to get the Works unit rebuilt was not practical. Local shock rebuilders we’re going to charge me $200 just to look at it, they still had to be able to get parts for it which may or may not be available. WORX in California would charge me $75 to look at it, mailing it to California is not practical for me and given what your postal service is going through, that’s a non starter.
Given what I paid for the bike and upgrading the shock i’m Still in good shape.
Hi kiltman. That's the same shock I changed to when my rear shock finally turned pogo stick a couple of years ago. Only difference is that I didn't go for the remote pre-load option. I love the difference in the handling of the bike since I fitted it, to be fair though I've never ridden an ST1100 with a fully operational OEM shock on it so maybe I'm just enjoying the handling of a well behaved Pan. Hagon were just a bit too expensive for me when it when came the remote pre-load option. It cost me 300 pounds for the standard shock, but it would have been an extra 150 pounds for the remote preload setup. I don't need to adjust the shock more than once or twice a year so it didn't seem worth the extra cost. I was impressed with the Hagon custom build approach though. I've never had that option before without having to pay a lot extra for it.

Top Bottom