Will rotator cuff surgry ruin my riding season?

Bike
04 ST1300
On 5/7 I had surgery on my right shoulder to repair my rotator cuff (whatever that is). I am in a sling and feelin real sad about the prospect of a ruined riding season. I was planning a trip to Montana ( 3Kmi round trip) 7/1 but have no idea if that is realistic.
Does anyone have any experience about recovering from this??? I would appreciate any info or thoughts you have.

Thanks

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
To you have rehab perscribed and when does it start? What ever they tell you DO IT! There's scar tissue to break up in there for range of motion and strength to get back.

STOC #
I am going through a similar recovery - in my case I broke my arm at the shoulder and had titanium rods and screws put in. The muscles were repaired similar to your ACL injury.
With Physiotherapy 3 times a week, it took me 3 months before I could ride the ST agiain without any pain -- the biggest setback I gave myself was pulling the bike onto its center stand (bad idea).
After 5 months the strength has come back but I am still working on getting the range of motion I had before - you really need a professional to help break up the scar tissue and help you recover.
Good luck with the recovery.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
It depends on how bad your rotator cuff is. I dislocated my shoulder a few years back and based on the severity of the dislocation they thought I would have a 60% chance of redislocating if I didn't have the repair done. I opted to do it. When they went in they discovered that my shoulder was in much worse shape than they thought. The Dr told me that once they saw how bad it was the real numbers would be 95%+ chance that I would redislocate. When they rebuilt the shoulder they had to really tighten things down. Because of this I have a loss in range of motion. It will be like that for life.

I second the comment about PT. Do it do it do it. Take it easy but do everything they tell you to do. Another thing that can help is working it in a hot tub. That is what I did.

As for your ride. That may be pushing it. While you could likely be back on the bike about 2 months after the opteration I would run it by the Docs. 3K miles is quite a ride so soon after the operation. Granted on a long ride like that you could likely give your arm a break and ride with your good arm it is a long ways. That said I gave up mountain biking after my shoulder issues. I didn't dislocate moutain biking but my shoulder would hurt after riding. That brings up another question. Do you have risers of some sort? They will help you get on the bike and be able to take it longer. The problem I had with the mt bike was my position put too much pressure on my arms and weight on my shoulder. On the ST I have Helibars and it isn't as much of an issue because I am not supporting my weight with my arms.

STOC #
On 5/7 I had surgery on my right shoulder to repair my rotator cuff (whatever that is). I am in a sling and feelin real sad about the prospect of a ruined riding season. I was planning a trip to Montana ( 3Kmi round trip) 7/1 but have no idea if that is realistic.
Did you have arthroscopic surgery? When I did I was riding in a month. Pay
attention to the physical therapy, diligently.

Bob

I work with an Ortho Pod surgeon and I had a Labral Tear Repair and Decompression done 1 1/2 years ago. You need to take it easy with your arm, NO sudden movement or you risk damaging the repair.

I won't tell you how long I was off the bike :D but I will say that I didn't do the rehab very long because of my work experience, and I was driving my moto to rehab. However, that doesn't mean you should follow my example, or lack thereof.

Like everyone else is saying, do what the docs say. I had this surgery, started out with the 'scope, and when he got inside he saw it was worse, so had to open it up. I was back in 3 months, but the doc said when you do PT, do exactly what they say. No more, no less. Shoulder is 110% what it used to be.

I injured my shoulder in 2003. In June of 2005, I had no choice but to undergo a rotator cuff surgery. Five months before I could get back to work and almost a year before full recovery. Like some that responded to your question, it is important to do the stretching and strengthening exercises (as painful as it is).

Good luck.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I had the mumford procedure on my right shoulder (collar bone shortened and rotator cuff repaired) took 6 months before I felt halfway good and a year before I could do whatever I wanted with it (hunting with traditional bows).
Certain things like showering, wiping, zipping, working a belt and cutting my own food up became major accomplishments. You'll see what I mean if it's your primary arm. As far as riding it was probably 6 months before I could ride one of my lightweight naked bikes.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Don't know about the recovery time. Hopefully less than my achilles. Chances are you can beat their projection but do that thru following the rehab procedures including your home excercises. What you don't want to do is reinjure it trying a strength move too soon like the center stand. You feel pain in rehab with range of motion and can push it slowly but that's different than trying to work on muscle. You'll get the info in rehab. Good luck.

Bike
ST1300 SOLD
STOC #
I had surgery 3/7 for a C7-T1 herniated disc, and do what they tell you when it comes to therapy. I've been in therapy for a month and it will probably be another month or more. They might release me to start riding short distances in mid to late June. I was given permission to start wearing my helmet for short periods of time to help build up my upper back/neck muscles, so to me that is a major step forward. Just don't over due something which will set you back.

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
On 5/7 I had surgery on my right shoulder to repair my rotator cuff
This is something I've been putting off for a long time. I was told about 2 or 3 years ago after unsuccessfully going through months of PT that I had two options left. Have the operation or live with it. Since I was told that, my remaining healthy shoulder went south and has developed a bad rotator cuff as well (neither bad shoulder was due to injury). At present I have somewhat limited mobility when reaching behind my back but the only time it really bothers me is sleeping. I can no longer sleep on my right side. The left is OK as long as I'm in just the right position. I have really been hesitant to have the operation since the doctor couldn't assure me that it would clear it up 100%.

I'd be interested to hear what you guys say about the final outcome of your operations. I know I should have this done but the thought of being unable to ride for months makes me very hesitant.

Bike
07 ST1300
yo tickle,
I had scope surjery on my dominant shoulder which went well no complications. as every one is telling you do your rehab.One of the problems is the other shoulder will become overworked.I remember coming out of the anastesia WOW what pain!!!!Stick to your program and you should be able to ride in 4 to 6 weeks .Although i would NOT recomend doing long extended rides because you wont feel the pain until the following day.Ive had shoulder,knee,and two back surgeries and all took time to heal.
GOOD LUCK
Lonney

RLT

Bike
06 ST1300
I had rotator cuff surgery on left shoulder 12/09/08 and just went for my first long ride (222 miles to Myrtle beach). This is the second rotator surgery for me, I had my right shoulder fixed 4 years ago.

I have been back to the gym for 6 weeks now, the shoulder is still sore but it gets stronger and less painful each day.

Your rehab and the doctors orders are real important to follow. This recovery is long and painful.......i am just being honest. Once you start the strengthening exercises you will start to get past the pain but it takes time. Someone on a previous post mentioned a year for full recovery and he is right on the money. it has taken me five months to ride and i still have to take my arm off the bar and rest it on my leg every now and then.

Rob T

Bike
st1300, xr250
I had a completely torn tendon in my shoulder- rotator cuffand had surgery on Jan 23 and I rode my bike two weeks ago for the first time 300 miles. I don't think that I would have been ready before that. But it all depends on your injury.:04biker:

BluesRider

Rick
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Rotator Cuff injuries are bad. My left shoulder took 3 months to heal because it was a partial tear. My right one was fully torn. The post surgery pain was much worse, and it took 6 months before I could ride and 1 year for full healing. I had it done becuse I couldn't lie down, period. I couldn't sleep. If you want to ride and you can sleep and function, put it off until after riding season. Just be careful not to tear it the rest of the way.

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
I was not riding when I had my shoulder done. I had it operated on in December and I was shooting a 70lb compond bow in August. Right shoulder, right handed. When I went to therapy the prescription said no weights for the first month, strictly range of motion. The therapists had never heard of such a thing and called the doc to confirm. We followed his orders. I have full range of motion and the therapists said that every rotator cuff surgery rehab that comes in there now will be done that way. The doctor stated that if you lose range of motion you will never get it back, but you can always gain strength.

To anyone that was told to have shoulder surgery that is putting it off, the final deciding factor for me was not getting proper sleep. When you are not sleeping well you are not living well. Get the problem fixed.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
I

To anyone that was told to have shoulder surgery that is putting it off, the final deciding factor for me was not getting proper sleep. When you are not sleeping well you are not living well. Get the problem fixed.
My boss just had it done, he has told all of more than once that if we have to or know of anyone who thinks they need, DO NOT WAIT!!! Go get it done as waiting only allows the scar tissue to build and makes recovery worse. His doctor is talking like he may have to be put under and then the doctor will force his motion back by breaking up the scar tissue. I think its gonna be very painful. My boss should have had the surgery at least a year ago.

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
the final deciding factor for me was not getting proper sleep.
Same here. I just had my left shoulder operated on 2 days ago. As with others, the doc found things to be much worse than expected. He originally thought it was going to be a tendon clean-up operation but it turned out to be a repair situation as he found torn tendons. God only knows how long it will be before I can ride again. After my left shoulder heals, I've got to have my right one taken care of as well. Maybe I should just sell both of my bikes and wait until I'm 100% before replacing them. Could be a long time. This sucks as I was considering retiring this year and going for a long ride at a relaxed pace.

Top Bottom