Windshield clip on

I'm riding my 2003 through Mexico again this winter. My main takeaways from my trip last winter were:
Wear a full face helmet (listen to music across the Sonoran desert)
Take some cotton socks

It is a non-adjustable screen model ( which doesn't go up as high) with an after market (tall) windshield. Even with that, the new helmet (maybe a little bigger and with a top vent) makes some noise. I was thinking of adding a little clip-on screen to the top of the windshield. Is there some consensus about one brand being excellent or one being crap? I'm tempted to just buy a random one off Amazon to see if it does anything. Seems pretty high already...

sea of cortez2.jpg

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Not so much the screen height, because the same screen will affect riders differently, depending on their physical characteristics / their build. We're not all created in the same size.
That said, I am reading good things about the Puig deflector.
If you have a couple inches vertical adjustment, and then can adjust the angle as well, you can direct the air to you or over you.
I was thinking near $200, but the prices are different, I guess because they are different models / mounting styles. These are $115 and $68 respectively.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/puig-clip-on-windscreen-visor?gclid=Cj0KCQiAyracBhDoARIsACGFcS5QqvsREtK2WxacPdED9PiHjib12sIav0IlIMMy-whGlI3rloVHi0QaAuqeEALw_wcB

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/puig-windscreen-visor-kit?gclid=Cj0KCQiAyracBhDoARIsACGFcS7dFDkFoek7kyKfE8lzBGEp0_Be7rs1JaSqolX6ANOnXQ4pv7Uo4T8aAmVeEALw_wcB

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
"out of stock" :-(
Even on Amazon?
I only linked those websites for you to get an idea.
There are actually a number of manufacturers who make similar devices, known as "laminar lip" or "wind deflector" in the common vernacular.
MRA and Givi come to mind, but there are others as well. Touratech. Saeng TA?
Others can chime in here to fill in the missing vendors.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Just out of curiosity, why merino wool? Do they reject heat from the motorcycle better or just deal with the sweat from your feet better than cotton? Thanks for any insight.
Not OP but this site describes it well and their products are top notch.

Josh_ST

I love my 2 wheeled therapy machine!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
2024 Miles
I had the narrower (12") of the 2 cheapies and it was adequate, but was only about as wide as my helmet. So I bought the wider one (14.5") but haven't had a chance to install it yet as winter has set in. I do feel like it helped with the buffeting I was experiencing. Worst case, buy the cheapest one and reuse the bracketry and make your own as @St-Gerard did above.

Narrow: https://www.ebay.com/itm/374168632020
Wider: https://www.ebay.com/itm/295113030832

Bike
06 ST1300
Interesting- I bought this inexpensive deflector for my '81 Goldwing though that has a large, fixed screen. I'm 6'3" and was getting very annoyed by the buffeting on top of the helmet. This did the trick to calm that down to no buffeting. Is adjustable for a bit of up/down and tilt. Can't remember what company I got it from, I know it is China made. I believe around $60. I swapped it to my new to me '06 ST1300 when I got it last year for the same reason. Draw back- in certain sun angles the edges of the deflector seem to gather the light and that edge can be distracting. Don't know if that's because it's a cheapy or not. Otherwise for an inexpensive experiment, it's holding up really well and does the job. On the ST I have it set where I can look over it but the old Goldwing had to look through.
DSCN1895.JPG

STFlips

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100A
I had the Laminar Lip style for a couple of years but switched to a Puig this season. I like the Puig adjustability and can put it up in the rain, it's solidly mounted and stays where I set it. I saw the Chinese ones online too but was concerned about the quality, so spent the bucks on the Puig. The size of the Laminar Lip tended to vibrate and flex a bit at higher speeds, there was no easy adjustability and flew off on me once too.

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
I had a Laminar Lip on my ST1100 and was impressed by it. Currently I have a VFR1200X and have one of the inexpensive Chinese spoilers on the screen. Including shipping, it cost less than £10.00 (US$12.15). I can't see any reason for it not to work on the ST1300.

20220618_163521a.jpg

spoiler1.jpg

Josh_ST

I love my 2 wheeled therapy machine!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
2024 Miles
For the record, I rode several hundred miles with the cheap one on my windshield, and had no issues or concerns of it flying off. It has 2 set screws to tighten down against rubber pads to your windshield. Also, there are locks on both hinges, so I was not worried about it change positions on it's own. And it survived my spirited usage of the throttle! :slv13:

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
MRA has new versions of the old X-Creen that come in different sizes and don't have the finished "edge" of the old X-Creen. I have had trouble with the Chinese versions falling apart. I just ordered one for my Heritage but I haven't had a chance to put it on yet.

Top Bottom