Windsor-Detroit to Winnipeg - Sept. 10-11/2019 - suggestions...?

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Hi All:
Depending a bit on the weather, I will likely be riding from Detroit MI to Winnipeg Manitoba for a business meeting on Sept. 10-11 (i.e. in a month or so).

My plan is to depart early on Tues. Sept. 10 and ride across MI, Indiana and into Illinois and then up through WI, MN and in North’s Dakota. I will likely stop somewhere in Wisconsin or Minnesota the first night and I need to arrive in Winnipeg by about 4:00 PM on Wed. Sept. 11.

With that route and departure day in mind, I’d welcome any thoughts on
  • the best time of day and route (if there is one) to go through Chicago;
  • good routes around Chicago as a contingency;
  • good places to stop (i.e. hotels) for the night that are around 10-12 hours along that route from Detroit (looks to me like St. Cloud MN would be about right);
  • Any other pitfalls I might encounter along the way.
Cheers and thanks,

Pete

Last edited:

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I would head north to Sarnia and cross there, then to Flint, then North and take Hwy 2 across. Depending on the time of day cross at Tolstoi and then you’re 1.5 hrs from Winnipeg. Sarnia has a Nexus lane, Tolstoi does not

Last edited:
OP
OP
MaxPete
Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
I would head north to Sarnia and cross there, then to Flint, then North and take Hwy 2 across. Depending on the time of day cross at Tolstoy and then you’re 1.5 hrs from Winnipeg. Sarnia has a Nexus lane, Tolstoy does not
Ahhh - you are suggesting a north of Superior routing rather than across the Midwest states.

Hmmmmm....less traffic but fewer places to stop....

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Actually south of Superior route, Lots of places to stop, you could probably make it to Duluth and from there it’s an ok run to Winnipeg. Only a couple of tolls, and you miss Chicago completely and that nest of toll roads. ;)

Bike
04 ST1300
Hi All:
Depending a bit on the weather, I will likely be riding from Detroit MI to Winnipeg Manitoba for a business meeting on Sept. 10-11 (i.e. in a month or so).

My plan is to depart early on Tues. Sept. 10 and ride across MI, Indiana and into Illinois and then up through WI, MN and in North’s Dakota. I will likely stop somewhere in Wisconsin or Minnesota the first night and I need to arrive in Winnipeg by about 4:00 PM on Wed. Sept. 11.

With that route and departure day in mind, I’d welcome any thoughts on
  • the best time of day and route (if there is one) to go through Chicago;
  • good routes around Chicago as a contingency;
  • good places to stop (i.e. hotels) for the night that are around 10-12 hours along that route from Detroit (looks to me like St. Cloud MN would be about right);
  • Any other pitfalls I might encounter along the way.
Cheers and thanks,

Pete
I would say go thru Illinois but when you come to chicago take the 294 bypass to 290 and then to 90 w into WI. There are three tolls on 294 and three on 90 W. If you dont have the ipass that means about $5. I prefer the interstate because this route will give you more options with nicer hotels and also more hotels and other amenities, such as service plaza's etc. The upper peninsula of michigan can be pretty desolate with limited opportunities for food and fuel. This route bypasses all the chicago traffic. The only place where traffic is expected is where you 94 crosses 90 and also when it crosses 65. After that its clear sailing. Tuesday should not see much traffic .

Personally when I go on longer trips like this, I would leave my house at 4 am. If you do that you may not see any traffic by the time you hit the chicago area.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Yup - that doesn’t look bad at all.

Can I keep a steady 60-70 MPH up on the Upper Penninsula of Michigan and across Hwy 2 in Minnesota?
I think you can. I have done this route a few times in a cage and most of the roads were rated 60-70mph. Navigating around Duluth can be tricky, series of bridges and making sure you’re in the proper lane. Mackinaw bridge is a treat on a bike as well.
I just remembered I did take this route on my motorcycle when I was coming back from Moose Jaw. It was rather straight forward. I did stop at a motel an hour east of Duluth, motorcycle friendly, old towels to wipe the dew off your bike in the morning and it was $60/night. It was either Parkland or Iron River
It might be faster if you cross at the Ambassador bridge but then you have to deal with Detroit traffic....are bikes allowed in the tunnel?

Bike
04 ST1300
Yup - that doesn’t look bad at all.

Can I keep a steady 60-70 MPH up on the Upper Penninsula of Michigan and across Hwy 2 in Minnesota?
You can easily maintain an average speed of 70 mph using the interstate system and make it to minneapolis in 10 hours of riding time (not counting breaks)

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
As a fan of desolate I would do the Northern Trans Canada.
As a fan of Frank Lloyd Wright I would go to Chicago, otherwise I would avoid it. So bad that I had time for a conversation on I-90 with a biker on the other side of the freeway one day.
Ferry rides are nice and make great photos of the gps. There is a ferry to avoid Chicago.
I rode across the UP on Michigan 28, picked up US 2 across Wisconsin and Minnesota to Grand Forks then north to Winnipeg looping back to Sault Ste Marie along the north shore of Superior two years ago on a VFR. That was a nice ride.
Mostly I’d avoid Chicago.
Doing the UP may give you more time to take in sights along the way.
Something nice though on every route.

OP
OP
MaxPete
Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Thank all so much - what great ideas!

To answer some questions:
  • YES - I do plan to leave at about 4:00 AM which would put me well past Duluth before dark (I hope). I always try to get past a big city rather than stop before it in the late afternoon. That way, I start out the next day in open country.
  • NO - bikes are not allowed in the Windsor-Detroit tunnel so I’ll definitely be taking the bridge (unless the weather looks crappy in which case I’ll take the Miata); The bridge-tunnel thing isn’t a big deal to me as I know Detroit well and in any event, the bridge would only add a couple of miles to get to I-75 to start the route north, if that is the way I go.
  • My biggest worry at night is potholes in the Detroit roads. Over the last 22 years that we have lived here in Windsor, Ontario, I have nuked 4 or 5 car tires on Detroit roads. I’ve never seen the like of them - except in Nigeria.
  • I will admit that I am attracted to the northern route as I detest nutty traffic jams and my GoogleMaps lists it as only around 20-30 min longer. Also, that difference could vanish in one single go-slow around the Chicago area.
I guess the key thing is that this is a business trip and so I have little flexibility on the timing. The other thing is that I’ll have to decide on bike versus car only a day or two ahead as I won’t have time to go slowly in bad weather on the bike. Besides, while I don’t mind a bit of rain along the way, setting off on a 17-1800 km ride and knowing that all or most it will be in the rain is demoralizing.

Decisions, decisions....

Anyhow - additional ideas and guidance are most welcome!

Pete

Last edited:

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
From Three thieves to Tolstoi it’s rather pretty following the river. You will also see a lot of CN rail as they have a right of way in that state. In the UP area there are a few State parks so keep an eye out for deer.
Enjoy the ride

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
A few weeks ago, I completed a similar trip - Toronto out to the Dakotas via Sault Ste. Marie, then up to Winnipeg and back home via north of Superior.

I second the recommendations others have made that you travel north through Michigan to the Soo, then go across the Upper Peninsula (UP) on Highway 2. It's a nice ride on Highway 2 - not particularly busy, a few boring stretches but generally very pleasant. If you are feeling adventurous, you could come back via an all-Canadian route, north of Superior, then cut south at Espanola, take the ferry over to Tobermory, and ride along the Lake Huron shoreline to Windsor. That route is a bit longer than coming home via the US, but no less enjoyable.

You should plan on averaging about 60 MPH on Highway 2. Between towns, you can get away with 65, but there are a lot of towns on Highway 2, and that will cut your average speed down.

I do plan to leave at about 4:00 AM which would put me well past Duluth before dark (I hope).
I think that's a bit ambitious. Windsor to Duluth via the Soo is 1,200 km (750 miles). Could it be done? - yes, but it's going to be at least a 15 hour ride after allowing for food and fuel stops. Do you really want to do it? - I don't think so. Personally, I would allow 3 days travel in each direction, rather than the 2 you have suggested - although you could do the trip in 2 days, it would feel like an Iron Butt ride.

Michael

Last edited:
OP
OP
MaxPete
Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
A few weeks ago, I completed a similar trip - Toronto out to the Dakotas via Sault Ste. Marie, then up to Winnipeg and back home via north of Superior.

I second the recommendations others have made that you travel north through Michigan to the Soo, then go across the Upper Peninsula (UP) on Highway 2. It's a nice ride on Highway 2 - not particularly busy, a few boring stretches but generally very pleasant. If you are feeling adventurous, you could come back via an all-Canadian route, north of Superior, then cut south at Espanola, take the ferry over to Tobermory, and ride along the Lake Huron shoreline to Windsor. That route is a bit longer than coming home via the US, but no less enjoyable.

You should plan on averaging about 60 MPH on Highway 2. Between towns, you can get away with 65, but there are a lot of towns on Highway 2, and that will cut your average speed down.

I think that's a bit ambitious. Windsor to Duluth via the Soo is 1,200 km (750 miles). Could it be done? - yes, but it's going to be at least a 15 hour ride after allowing for food and fuel stops. Do you really want to do it? - I don't think so. Personally, I would allow 3 days travel in each direction, rather than the 2 you have suggested - although you could do the trip in 2 days, it would feel like an Iron Butt ride.

Michael
We’ll just have to see how much time is available - yup, 15 hours is doable but a bit of a hike.

Bike
st1300 vfr800
We just came back this route through northern michigan from sturgis ,lots of places for fuel ,eats and to stay if needed . We swung south through wisconsin and picked up I 90 ,made great time at 140 kms .

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
I agree with the "go north" suggestions. You get to eat a pastie in the UP, ride the Big Mac bridge and could wander a bit if you like around Traverse City, Tunnel of trees etc, and even make a stop at the Aerostitch store in Duluth if so inclined. https://www.aerostich.com/

Another option to make your trip even more interesting is to take a ferry across Lake Michigan, at least one direction. There are 2 choices.

The high speed cat runs from Muskegon, Mich to Milwaukee, Wi. It's great! https://www.lake-express.com/

The ssbadger is a more conventional style ferry. Its been running since the 50's I think. It takes about 2x as long (4 hrs?) and runs a route slightly further north across the lake. https://www.ssbadger.com/

Have fun Pete!

STOC #
I agree with UP route and have done it twice in last 4 or 5 years. But I could not do your planned miles in that time on the bike anymore. I always want to but never turns out that way. There are always more stops needed, slow downs etc. It is much easier in the car. Doesn’t mean YOU can’t. Have you ridden a lot this year to get ready for it? Just a thought?

OP
OP
MaxPete
Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
I agree with UP route and have done it twice in last 4 or 5 years. But I could not do your planned miles in that time on the bike anymore. I always want to but never turns out that way. There are always more stops needed, slow downs etc. It is much easier in the car. Doesn’t mean YOU can’t. Have you ridden a lot this year to get ready for it? Just a thought?
Actually dude, this year I have done a couple of 8 hour days on the ST1300 and even several 8-9 hour days on my ‘76 Yamaha XS650 twin which is really about a 60-65 mph bike at best and is a bit of a paint shaker too (plus it has no fairing or windscreen at all).

I think I can do the hours - I just haven’t ridden up there before and am gathering intelligence on the roads. When I did my big “out west” rides as a boy, it was in the late ‘70s and I used the all-Canadian route north of Superior.

I love the ferry idea for the return trip Jeff - I’m going to check that out!

Thanks guys!

Pete

Bike
Tiger 800
I cross the UP of MI several times per year. I'd generally recommend taking HWY 28 rather than US 2. Jog north on MI 115 just west of the Big Mac bridge and take HWY 28 which connects with HWY 2 again in the western UP at Bergland. Michigan speed limits are now up to 65 mph in many places and you can usually get away with 70. Don't hit a moose though. You'll be going right by my house on HWY 2 in WI.

Top Bottom